4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Theresa My Baby Girl
Tom's Dad
post May 2 2016, 10:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,946

For those of you that follow my Welcome Tang post, you know my little girl cat Theresa.

She came to me by way of PartSmart adoption center 03/2007. She was about 4 1/2 at the time and had no adoption fee. I got her primarily as company for my Sir Thomas (RIP 12/08/2010) From the onset she had to deal with crippling inner ear and upper respiratory infections. But since then (other than a mild case of worms) she has been my rock health wise. Emotionally so when I lost Tom.

Today it looks like her luck has run out. I took her to the vet because she'd been drooling and bleeding from the mouth (I thought she'd been over grooming when I'd find red patches in her fur) My brave baby girl has an inoperable tumor on the base of her tongue sad.gif The vet gives it about 4-6 month before she may not be able to eat at all even soft food. Perhaps longer with steroid injections. Chemo is way beyond my ability to pay for, and the vet feels it would just make her miserable anyway. I have this sickening feeling her time may come around December. Anyone who's read my post about Sir Thomas knows why that would be sadly ironic. I am devastated but determined to make her as comfortable as I can with the time we have left. She's fighter, so who knows.....

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 2 2016, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Tracy, I am truly so very, very sorry about the diagnosis of cancer for your precious princess Theresa. I truly truly know how devastated your heart is feeling. You are doing the very best you can for your precious girl. Having gone the route of chemotherapy for my beloved Eli I did not elect that route for my beloved beautiful baby girl Abbygayle without regret. I know beyond all shadow of a doubt that your precious Theresa is in the best of care with her Forever Dad and her adopted baby brother Tang.

Are you going to go the route of the steroid injections? Did your veterinary care provider mention giving her Prednisone - - benefits if any as opposed to or in addition to steroid injections? At least the Prednisone is a pill you can give her at home and would be less uncomfortable than injections - - after all who really likes being stuck with a needle routinely.

Thank you so much for honoring us in sharing with us this news about your precious princess Theresa. I know so very well it is not news you ever really wanted to have to share. Please know your precious girl, and you, are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how she's doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 2 2016, 02:26 PM
Post #3

Thank you moon_beam.

Dr. Mills didn't say it was cancerous, only that it was inoperable (Unlike Tang's ear for example) He didn't mention Prednisone, but I will ask him about it. He was emphatic about my "partnering" with him to help her, so perhaps he has hope. But it didn't show in his eyes or body language. Sometimes I hate being empathic. She's going to get as much lap/cuddle/balcony time as she wants from now on.

I wish I could have given her another spring, but that doesn't look like it's in the cards sad.gif I'm not even sure we'll have another Christmas. Last night Tang laid down by the carriers and gave me a very compassionate look. Like he knew more than just she was going to the vet. I'll let you know how we are doing. Thank you again. Blessings.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LoveMyMickey
post May 2 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,071

Oh Tracy, I am so sorry about little Princess Theresa. sad.gif I hope the vet can find the right medicine to help her, at least give her some comfort. I just don't know what else too say. I can't keep from crying right now.

I will send special prayers for You, little Theresa, and Tang too. I know he is sad too.

Much love from us here and the little waifs. God Bless.

LMM

--------------------
"Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation."

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 3 2016, 03:43 AM
Post #5

Thank you LMM. It's appreciated.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 3 2016, 12:20 PM
Post #6

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious princess Theresa, and you and little Tang, are doing. I do sooooo understand your heart's wish that your precious girl could look forward to another spring, and the heartbreak you are feeling in knowing the chances of this happening are not in her favor. It is important that you try to stay focused on each day as it comes knowing that you are doing the very best you can for your precious girl - - who KNOWS beyond all shadow of a doubt that she is "daddy's girl" forever.

Please know your precious Theresa, and you and little Tang, are in my thoughts and prayers that you will have a peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening blessed with your beloved Sir Thomas' sweet Living Spirit to comfort you. And please let us know how your precious girl, and you and little Tang, are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 3 2016, 06:49 PM
Post #7

Hi moon_beam.

Thank you and LoveMyMickey for your generous compassion regarding my baby girl. I think what's bothering most about it is how much she seems to have been short changed over the past 9 years. First she had to take a back seat to Tom and his health issues. Then when he crossed the Bridge, along came Tang less than 6 months later and his similar issues sad.gif

I'm doing my best to make quality time to spend with her, but I can't help but feel I should have been doing that all along. Two things she did last night were both heart warming while at the same time worrisome. She slept in the bed as I mentioned in my post to LMM. But last night as she craved lap time while I watched TV, she was disappointed yet again. I tried to keep seated as long as I could, but force of habit an all that. But instead of sulking off to a corner like she usually does, she stayed as my feet rolled over on her back looking ever so lovingly at me. I can't stop thinking about how when Tom must have known his earthly path was coming to an end, he always wanted to me near me too.

But, one day at a time. We only just found out about the tumor. It's nowhere near time to throw in the towel. At least that's what I keep telling myself. unsure.gif

I hope you and Noah have a peaceful evening. Blessings.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
LittleGirl's...
post May 3 2016, 07:08 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 274

Tracy,

I'm so very sorry to hear about sweet Theresa's situation! sad.gif Let us know what the next step is. Oh, I have a friend whose kitty takes prednisone transdermally and it's easy to just rub in on the ear, in case that might help in Theresa's case.

Tang is being so empathetic and wonderful !!

Will check back here tomorrow. Thinking of you and sending prayers your way!

Kathy

--------------------
Compassion for all animals. www.earthlings.com

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 3 2016, 08:06 PM
Post #9

Kathy,

Thank you so much for your kind words and the suggestion of the alternate from of prednisone. I've checked with Dr. Mills via a vet tech and he says that drug should work in conjunction to the injection. She (the tech) also said her kitty had been on anti-inflamatories to help with the pain for a similar issue.

My next extended time off is Memorial Day weekend (ironically Tang's anniversary with me) and I am going to schedule a follow up for that time. Bless her heart, she really tried to eat the Tempatations treats tonight but couldn't even watered down. I will be looking into some soft treats for her.

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. It helps.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 5 2016, 02:50 PM
Post #10

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Theresa, and you and Tang, are doing. Indeed, even though our precious companions' focus is always on making the most of the moment, they do realize when their life's journey is becoming shorter and want to spend more quality time with us. Please know you have NEVER "short-changed" any of your companions - - and your precious Theresa knows this. She is soooo blessed to have you for her Forever Dad, and I know she will appreciate the soft chew treats. It must be an annoying feeling in her mouth with the tumor on her tongue - - which is probably why she kept licking herself hoping to get rid of it. I'm so keeping your precious girl in my thoughts and prayers that the injections and other meds will help to shrink the tumor and keep her comfortable. Will look forward to sharing your news as to how she's doing, and how her check up goes in the next few weeks.

My friend, please know your precious Theresa, and you and little Tang, are in my thoughts and prayers that you will have a peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening blessed with your beloved Sir Thomas' sweet Living Spirit to comfort you. And please let us know how your precious girl, and you and little Tang, are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 5 2016, 06:20 PM
Post #11

Hello moon_beam.

Thank you for your kind words about Theresa. I was going to wait until the holiday weekend to take her back to the vet, but I'm going to try to get her in the week before as when she meows (or tries to) I can clearly see the tumor sad.gif I'd try this weekend, but it being Derby I'll never get a cab.

It isn't that she does not want to eat, but that she tries (hard) and kind of fails. Same for the grooming, which is really heartbreaking because she is such a fussy girl about that. The brushing helps, but I think I'm going to get some baby shampoo this weekend and giver her - yes - the dreaded bath. Her paws and lower legs are a mess from the litter box and she shakes them for all she's worth. More in my other thread.

Blessings.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 6 2016, 10:35 AM
Post #12

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us how you're precious Theresa is doing. I'm so sorry the tumor is becoming more troublesome for her, and heartbreaking for you to see her having difficulty. I can certainly understand your wanting to have her see her doctor sooner, and waiting until after the Derby is a good idea - - less stress on her AND you.

Ah yes - - the dreaded bath. I remember having to do some clean up on my beloved Abbygayle as her "pantaloon" fur britches would get a bit on the messy side from time to time. She didn't always appreciate it while I was cleaning her, but she was ever so thankful with the results afterward. I'm sure the same will be true with your precious Theresa. Please let us know how things go.

As always, my friend, please know your precious Theresa, and you and little Tang, are in my thoughts and prayers that you will have a peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening blessed with your beloved Sir Thomas' sweet Living Spirit to comfort you. And please let us know how your precious girl, and you and little Tang, are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 6 2016, 06:39 PM
Post #13

Hi moon_beam.

Thank so much for your continuing support in this troubling time. I got the baby shampoo at the Dollar Tree, but they had no soft treats. So I had to make a special trip to the other end of the shopping center to Feeders to get some. They won'y be open yet when I go early to Save a Lot tomorrow. She's worth it and I just hope she can eat them.

I was thinking the same thing when you said "She didn't always appreciate it while I was cleaning her, but she was ever so thankful with the results afterward. I'm sure the same will be true with your precious Theresa." I figure she will need this about once a week in conjunction to the daily brushing - but it's quality time we can spend focusing on just her (the brushing anyway). She still seems to have plenty of energy and has interest in eating if not the total ability.

Thanks again for the support. Blessings.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 7 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #14

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious princess Theresa is doing. If I may make a suggestion - - which you are probably already aware of - - you might want to consider syringe feeding your precious girl by pureeing her food to a consistency that can be pulled into a feeding syringe and then given to her orally. This can help make sure she is getting at least some nutrition as well needed fluids so that she doesn't become dehydrated. You will probably want to talk to Dr. Mills about this to see if he thinks this would be a good idea - - particularly since you both know the condition of her mouth and if she would be able to tolerate this. Please let us know how she's doing with the soft treats. The good news is that she still seems to have an appetite - - it's just a matter now of finding the technique that will help her to eat comfortably and successfully.

My friend, please know your precious Theresa, and you and little Tang, are in my thoughts and prayers that you will have a peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening blessed with your beloved Sir Thomas' sweet Living Spirit to comfort you. And please let us know how your precious girl, and you and little Tang, are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 7 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #15

Hello moon_beam.

Thank you for the suggestion about the syringe. I have thought of it, but we are a long way off of force feeding. She ate the soft treats just fine as evidenced by not so much as a crumb left behind. As for the can food, I have been watering it to the consistency that would go into a syringe and she seems to be eating a fair portion of that out of the bowl. Plus I have seen her drinking water aplenty - which is good. She also has picked up on Tang's trick of dropping the Iams into the water bowl and eating them that way. Messy, but as long as she eats. I've tried watering down kibbles in a separate bowl, but she seems disinterested in that.

Speaking of water, she had her bath this morning after I put up the groceries. I was going to wait as she was stretched out on the balcony enjoying sunbeams. But then she came in on her own - I took that as a sign to go ahead and proceed. To say she did NOT like it is putting it mildly. But she didn't fight me as much as I thought she would. That leads me to believe that while she didn't like it, she knew it was needed. I proceeded to hold her in a towel drying her off and telling her what a good girl she is. I didn't get her as clean as I would have liked, but think some of the "brown" is just darkening of the fur that comes with age in white cats. And don't you know just minutes after I let her go she was in the litter box rolleyes.gif

She is enjoying sunbeams in front of sliding glass doors right now. Later I'll brush out the stray tangles in her fur. As always, thank you for your continued kindness and support for me and my little girl. Blessings.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
MannaPaws
post May 7 2016, 06:10 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,843

Dear Tom's Dad,

I just read about your sweet Theresa and the inoperable tumor on her tongue. My eyes filled with tears, since I know how devastating it is to discover your precious baby is ill. I can see without a doubt that you are a loving, caring father to your girl. And I know without a doubt that she loves everything you've done and are doing for her, such as cuddling with her, brushing her hair, and giving her special treats and food. She can feel your love . . . and love covers and heals many an ailment.

As much as Theresa didn't like the bath, she knew you were doing it to help her feel better. It's like you said that although she didn't like it, she didn't fight it as much, which led you to believe that she knew she needed it.

It is encouraging to see that Theresa was able to eat the soft treats and the watered down canned food. She's also picked up on Tang's trick of dropping the Iams into the water bowl and eating the kibbles that way. Another encouraging thing is that she went to the litter box after the bath.

I know that the Vet mentioned that Theresa may have 4-6 months before not being able to eat even soft food, maybe longer with the steroid injections or having Prednisone administered transdermally, as another poster had suggested. But I'd like to share that one of my precious companion feline boys had also come down with a devastating illness and was given about a month to live. As it turned out, he lived 2 1/2 years longer, and even though he wasn't in perfect health, he was still able to engage with us during that time, and had a high quality of life for the "most" part. I know each companion is different, and things can change at a moment's notice, but I'm just sharing this so you'll know that nothing is ever written in stone.

I am new to this forum, but thought I'd respond to your post because your words describing your precious, sweet Theresa moved my heart and spirit. Please know that I will keep your sweet girl in my prayers, asking that God alleviate the pain in her mouth and reduce the size of the tumor. I will also keep you and your precious Tang in my prayers that you find comfort and strength, as you watch over and continue to give love and care to your girl.

Warmest Regards,
MannaPaws

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 8 2016, 09:29 AM
Post #17

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious Theresa, and you and little Tang, are doing. I'm so very glad to share your news that your precious girl is finding a way to eat the food and treats you provide for her, and is drinking water to keep hydrated. This very good news, and I know it takes a huge concern off your mind - - at least for now.

I'm so chuckling at the bath time. Still I know for a certainty that she knows you're doing everything to help keep her comfortable - - which includes assisting her with her bathing as she needs it.

I'm so glad our forum friend MannaPaws shared with you about one of her companions who was diagnosed with a very serious illness: "I know that the Vet mentioned that Theresa may have 4-6 months before not being able to eat even soft food, maybe longer with the steroid injections or having Prednisone administered transdermally, as another poster had suggested. I know each companion is different, and things can change at a moment's notice, but I'm just sharing this so you'll know that nothing is ever written in stone." The only thing our medical care providers can do - - both veterinary and human - - is offer us the value of their experiences with other clients with the same or similar illnesses. Only your precious Theresa can tell you "when" her earthly journey is approaching the time when her sweet Living Spirit will be transitioning from her physical body. This is one of the many reasons why it is important for you and your precious girl, and little Tang, to stay focused on the NOW and treasure every moment you have together.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 8 2016, 10:26 AM
Post #18

MannaPaws and moon_beam.

Thank you both so much for your kind words of support. Especially your story, MannaPaws, about your precious boy going another 2 1/2 years after the vet gave him only a month. I believe (hope at least) love really does "love covers and heals many an ailment." That and a strong will to live - which I think Theresa has.

Nothing significant to report in her progress. We will just keep doing what we are doing until her appointment at the vet next Saturday. I appreciate the thoughts and prayers thus far, and could sure use more that Dr. Mills does not have worse news to bring us then.

Once again, thank you both from the bottom of my heart for your compassion and encouraging words. Blessings.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 9 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #19

Forum Moderator

Hi, Tracy, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious princess Theresa, and you and your little Tang, are doing. When an illness / injury is suffered by one family member it isn't just limited to the one who is ill / injured - - the rest of the family unit also endures through the effects of the illness / injury and all that it entails. Please let me reassure you that we are here for you to share this journey of your precious Theresa, and you and your little Tang.

Please know, my friend, your precious Theresa, and you and little Tang, are in my thoughts and prayers that you will have a peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening blessed with your beloved Sir Thomas' sweet Living Spirit to comfort you. And please let us know how your precious girl, and you and little Tang, are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 9 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #20

Hi moon_beam.

Many thanks, as always for your thoughts and prayers. Yes, her issues affects not just her, but Tang and I as well. Now I feel guilty for the attention she's getting that's bleeding off of what he had been getting. Will I ever find the right balance?

I'll post more on her progress in my other thread as well as keep you up to date on how she's doing. Blessings.

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post