Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dealing W/remaining Pet When Other Has Been Lost
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Lost or Missing Pet Support
DENNLEE
Our dog broke free from her color while vet assistant was trying to walk her and get a urine sample to be teseted. Kit is a very anxious dog away from the home and particularly when she is taken to vet or kennel. We rescued her from a shelter.
Anyway, she was so upset yesterday, she manaaged to get out of her collar and ran across a 4 lane busy road.We have not seen her since 10:A.M. on 11/19. Needless to say my family is distraught. We have put signs up, cotacted vets and shelters, and I have drived around for 10hrs. since yesterday morn.
I addition to the emotional loss, Barkley, our other dog, who was inseparable w/Kit has become very despondent and very lethrgig. I know he has be teribly affected by the absence of his buddy.
My question to somedody. How do I help Barkley thru this time. We hold out hope that Kit will be returned to us but.....
I would welcome advice very much.
Thanks,
DE
Steph
Gosh, I really hope you get your dog back. How frightening. My two got out in 2001, when some idiot visitor left the backyard gate open. I lived right on a fairly busy street, and moments away from an EXTREMELY busy street. They were both ok though. They found their way home after an hour and a bit. Meanwhile I'd been hysterically searching the whole neighbourhood.

Anyways, about Barkley: as much as you can, try and be the same as you were before you lost Kit. When Luba died, my Falkor went into a deperssion. He was my second dog, and was not used to being the only dog. His depression was much worsened by the fact that I was so despondent and remote. Everytime he saw me I was in tears.

I noticed a big difference with him when I am upbeat. In a sense, when they lose their pet-buddy, they also lose their owners for a while and that's very hard for them.

Let us know if you find Kit!!!
LS Support
DO PETS GRIEVE?

What many people find hard to believe is that animals can form very firm attachments with each other. Even pets that outwardly seem to barely get along will exhibit intense stress reactions when separated. In fact, grieving pets can show many symptoms identical to those experienced by the bereaved pet owner. The surviving pet(s) may become restless, anxious and depressed. There may also be much sighing, along with sleep and eating disturbances. Often, grieving pets will search for their dead companions and crave more attention from their owners.

How can an owner help the grieving pet?

By following the following recommendations:

1. Keep the surviving pet(s) routines as normal as possible.

2. Try not to unintentionally reinforce the behavior changes.
- if the pet's appetite is picky, don't keep changing the food. All that does is create a more finicky pet.
- don't overdo the attention given to the pet(s) as it can lead to separation anxiety.

3. Allow the surviving animals to work out the new dominance hierarchy themselves.
- there may be scuffles and fights as the animals work out the new pecking order (dogs mostly)

4. Don't get a new pet to help the grieving pet(s) unless the owner is ready.
- will backfire unless the owner is emotionally ready for a new pet.
- people still grieving won't have the energy for it.

Should the owner let the surviving animals see and smell their dead companion?
There is no evidence that doing so will help the surviving pet(s), but some people claim that it does.
Usually, all it accomplishes is to make the owner feel better. Therefore, if the owner wants to have the surviving pets "say good-bye," then it should be allowed.
SJ J & S
Sadie escaped once while we were having an extension done and was gone all night.

I finally found her down the field where we parked the car for their walks.

Ill put in a prayer that you find Her, dont give up

Love Sue
DENNLEE
To all,
An amazing end to an awful. after almost 48 hours of Kit being lost, we received a phone call at 12:00 P.M. last night from the home where Kit had gone to their porch. I had placed an ad in the lost and found section of our newaspaper in baltimore and the people had the presence of mind to check the ads and call us last night.
We picked Kit up. She was a little scratched up an scared but she should be okay w/lots of TLC.
Having now been through the awful experience of having a lost pet, I can give one piece of advice.
PUT AN AD IN THE PAPER ASAP.
Thanks for those of you who replied and and hope every lost pet is found as quickly and as caring as mine wines.
DE
Steph
Awesome! I'm so happy to hear that your sweetheart is back.
J T
DENNLEE,
So glad your Kit was returned to you!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
LS Support
always good to hear good news!
Ann H
Oh that is wonderful news that she is back home with you. It is great to hear that some people still do good things by returning someones baby home.
Ann
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.