Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charlie, My Cat
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Death and Dying Pet Support
enogca
Last night my husband & I lost our beloved 16-year old cat, Charlie. I accidentally backed over him in the driveway. Charlie moves when one of us are backing in. I didn't know he was there. We rushed him to the vet's. They took x rays. Broken pelvis in several places for starters. The vet did mention surgery as one option. I asked her if Charlie would have the same quality of life as before. She said no. She left the room while hubby and I mulled and cried over the options. It was the look in Charlie's eyes that said to put me out of this pain that made us decide to do the most humane thing we could do for him. In the end, it what was best for Charlie as it was about him.

We got him when he was about 6-7 years old. A friend of mine saw him hanging around her house. She couldn't take him in but she knew we were looking for another cat. Now, she did advertise in the paper first but no one claimed him. He is a neutered cat so we figured someone abandoned him. From the minute he was brought to our home, he knew that it was his forever home. Charlie took to us right away. It took our Checkers though a bit of time to get used to him. Charlie was the type of cat people like even if they don't like cats. Very friendly. The dog on the one side of us was buddies with him.

Charlie, we love you and will always love you.

moon_beam
Hi, enogca, please permit me to offer you my sincerest sympathies in the physical loss of your beloved Charlie. Losing a companion is never easy regardless of the circumstances or how long we are blessed with the privilege of their company. Losing a companion so tragically intensifies the grief. Euthanasia is the last gift of love we can give to our companions at great sacrifice to ourselves so that they can be restored to their former youthfulness in the company of the angels.

This grief journey is fililed with many different emotions that can overwhelm us all at one time which is one of the many reasons why it is frequently referred to as a horror roller coaster ride. One of the many emotions we all experience is guilt / remorse for it comes from looking back and trying to reconcile all the whys, what ifs, and if onlys that haunt and torture our hearts and minds at a time when we are so emotionally vulnerable. Enogca, what happened with your beloved Charlie is a very tragic accident. Your beloved Charlie knows that you love him and would do everything in your power to turn back the clock to that moment in time so that you could change what happened. He doesn't want your heart engulfed in deep guilt, for he is forever thankful to you and your husband for putting his need first at a time when your hearts are breaking over what happened - - for making the unselfish loving decision to release him from his painful physical body so that he is now healed and restored to his former youthfulness in the company of the angels.

Although your heart is suffering with the deepest sorrow of loss, the good news is that the love bond you and your beloved Charlie share is eternal, for love is eternal - - it is not restricted to the physical laws of time and space. Your beloved Charlie's sweet Living Spirit will always be a part of your heart and memories - - he is always and forever a heartbeat close to you.

I know all too well from first hand experience that when our hearts are entrenched in deep grief there are no adequate words in any language that can soothe the searing pain of sorrow. Still I hope the words I share with you will offer you some measure of comfort, support, encouragement, and hope as you and your husband travel your grief adjustment journey.

Thank you so very much for honoring us in sharing your beloved Charlie with us, enogca. Perhaps sometime you would like to share a picture of him with us - - but only if / when you want to. Please know you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers, enogca, and please let us know how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
LittleGirl'sMommy
Enogca,

I am so very sorry about the physical loss of your Charlie!

Moon_beam wrote so perfectly what I want to tell you: "One of the many emotions we all experience is guilt / remorse for it comes from looking back and trying to reconcile all the whys, what ifs, and if onlys that haunt and torture our hearts and minds at a time when we are so emotionally vulnerable. Enogca, what happened with your beloved Charlie is a very tragic accident. Your beloved Charlie knows that you love him and would do everything in your power to turn back the clock to that moment in time so that you could change what happened. He doesn't want your heart engulfed in deep guilt, for he is forever thankful to you and your husband for putting his need first at a time when your hearts are breaking over what happened - - for making the unselfish loving decision to release him from his painful physical body so that he is now healed and restored to his former youthfulness in the company of the angels."

Charlie had a loving, happy physical life with you. And he'll always be with you. And, when it is your time you will be fully reunited.

Prayers for peace and healing coming your way, and please write again to let us know how you are

Kathy
P.S. I couldn't see the picture on my end. Not sure whether it's just due to my computer, or whether it didn't come through.
enogca
Thank you both for your kinds words and your support. Am glad there are groups out there like this. Will post of picture of Charlie shortly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.