Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 21 Years Ago This Month My Cat Teddy Entered My Life
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Death and Dying Pet Support
Lena
21 years ago this month my cat Teddy was born, a couple of weeks later he entered my life during a terrible storm by showing up on my doorstep. This past Monday my Teddy passed away.

Teddy was born of a feral cat of the neighborhood that my grandma fed. When a animal rescue group came to rehome the kittens from that litter my grandma hid Teddy away because I paid special attention to him. He was a wild one, not as wild as his brother and sisters but he picked up all the mother cats tendencies even with his exposure to humans. My grandma passed away a couple of years later.

No doubt about it, he was a jerk. He clawed up my glasses so they couldn't be worn, would jump on people's backs and cause chaos and destruction where ever he went. First 5 years of his life, or thereabouts, he wanted no contact at all from me, when he allowed it I was allowed to pet him with one finger and one finger only anything else and I was clawed up. I would tell people of my cat and he would refuse to come out if I ever had company over. My mom cat sat for me once when I went on vacation and she didn't see him at all. When I got home for the very first time ever Teddy let me actually fully pet him, even stood up on my lap to get affection while I was on the phone with my mom who was saying how sorry she was Teddy ran away. I said what are you talking about he's right here! A very long pause and she asked me if I even owned a cat. From that day forward my mission in life was to prove I had a cat. I would take picture after picture, rolls of film devoted to this task that all came out with a clear background and a grey and white blurry shape that didn't really look like a cat. These were the younger years as I refer to them.

Sometime at the 5 year mark he resigned himself that I was his owner and accepted me. He was curious about anything and everything. I was at one point a single gal living alone at that point in my life with my cat. I remember when I first moved in I got my first telephone bill. Finally I was an adult with bills! Teddy shredded and ate my phone bill, there was no help for it, I had to call the phone company for a new one. They said they needed to input a reason why I was requesting a new bill. I really didn't want to tell them I really didn't told them that and said look let's just say it was destroyed. The woman (obviously due to me being so hesitant to give a reason) persisted in wanting to know why. I sadly informed her she would laugh at me and finally just told her. She put me on hold. I will give her credit she came back without a hint of laughter in her voice but did admit she laughed herself silly. Those were the years he would eat my shoes, randomly flush the toilet in the middle of the night and discovered he could actually turn doorknobs and open doors. Also discovered he could aim water glasses from my nightstand and smack me in the head with them in the middle of the night. Also loved playing fetch with twist ties.

As he got older he mellowed a lot. Never became a lap cat but whenever I was upset he would be there. There was a lot of growing up both of us did together. He was there for me when I lost my grandma. When I became estranged from my family, reconciled and then estranged again, various job changes, my marriage, move across country, move back, birth of my daughter. Also got to the point he wouldn't hide when people came over to visit. In fact got the nickname as the reporter on the scene there was no hiding anymore from him!

His decline came on fast. Less than a month. In the space of a couple of days he seemed to drop all his weight and so we started him on wet cat food which he enjoyed. After a couple of days of that we noticed that he seemed to be having issues drinking out of the water bowel so we turned on the bathroom faucet and he was once again drinking water. Fast forward a week and granted he didn't have the energy levels he used to prior to the weight loss but he was yowling at us every morning as usual, racing into my daughters room for wake up and bedtimes (she's 5) followed us around the house and very responsive when we pet him. He stopped eating completely. I went to the internet and googled and pretty much just found a lot of stuff saying there wasn't anything that could be done due to his age. Called my vet and same thing, they said they could come out and euthanize him however I would know when the time was right for that but if it wasn't during business hours I could call the emergency service and they would come right out. A week of no eating and pretty much he was still going the same as he had when he was eating, energy level was less, spent a lot more time sleeping and laying around but he refused to give in. Friday he stopped drinking water, at least that we could tell so we once again called our Vet who expressed shock that Teddy was still up and about never mind that we discovered him wrestling with one of our other cats about an hour before the call to the Vet, and Teddy was standing over our other cat in his victory pose! Vet told us they would be completely closed Sunday, no emergency service either and given the whole playing thing we figured it would be ok, we would get water in him with a syringe medicine dropper and hope for the best. Sadly Sunday was when he finally couldn't put up the good fight anymore. I spent the day holding him to me and letting him know it was ok and we loved him. He was still weakly trying to follow me around the house so I just carried him where he seemed to want to go. He fell asleep in his favorite cat cube that night and never woke back up. He died as he lived, stubborn and determined to the very end, unwilling to give up.

I have my good moments and bad moments. The other night not thinking we had tuna helper for dinner, I got down 3 bowels (we had 4 cats but one oddly hates tuna) and filled them with the juice before I realized I only needed 2. I come out of my bedroom in the mornings looking for him. When I wake my daughter up I look for him to burst into the room and yowl a greeting to us. It's tough cause when I have those bad moments and get teary my child freaks out so I try to not have them except in private but find I am unable to even when I'm alone. This is the most I've even been able to talk of him since he had gotten sick. Anyway, sorry for such a long post, I just needed to get all this out. Hopefully it helps in my personal grieving process. It's been tough to talk to friends about it when all I seem to get is and I quote "wow, well at least you had that long! That's more than others" I know they are trying to comfort me but honestly? Doesn't help at all, my memories let me be very aware of the fact we has such a long time together and although I am grateful for that time it doesn't change my feelings about not having him now.

LittleGirl'sMommy
Lena,

I'm so sorry to hear of the physical passing of your precious Teddy! What a life he lived with you! And I wondered if maybe he passed on a Sunday because he was so stubborn and free that he didn't want a vet helping out at the end. Teddy is still right there with you -- just not in his familiar physical form. He's in that blissful realm where there aren't the time/space limitations, so he's having a blast being everywhere he feels like. And to him it will feel like a split second before you join him, even though for you it will be a long time from now.

It's true that your friends mean well, but it sure would be nice to talk with people who really understand that despite Teddy's extremely long life, you are grieving and hurting! You miss every part of him, everything he did. Is there anyone in your circle---friends, family---who does relate to this type of grief? I'm glad you found this site. We'll be here for you anytime you want to share your feelings, share more of Teddy's story, whatever you want to talk about.

What a beautiful story of Teddy's life with you! wub.gif I smiled when I read the part about your mother catsitting and then saying how sorry she was that Teddy must have gotten out... and then when you said "what are you talking about - he's right here" ... her response!! biggrin.gif And how sweet that when you got home from that trip, Teddy came right up on you. He was so grateful to have his Mom home, and he was going to show you (I have a hunch he knew from Day One that you were his Mom wub.gif ).

I laughed at all the antics you described. Flushing the toilet in the middle of the night -- that took the cake!! biggrin.gif

I can picture Teddy being the star of a children's book. Maybe it's a combination of how you told the tales of his escapades, and the escapades themselves. He would make a very colorful, memorable main character. smile.gif (And he's handsome, too!)

Sending prayers of comfort your way, Lena, at this difficult time,

Kathy
moon_beam
Hi, Lena, please permit me to offer you my sincerest sympathies in the physical loss of your beloved Teddy. Losing a companion is never easy regardless of the circumstances or how long we are blessed with the privilege of their company. How blessed your beloved Teddy is to have transitioned home to the angels in the place he loves the most - - his earthly home surrounded by familiar sights, sounds, and smells - - and the love of his Forever Mom and family.

Lena, this grief journey is one of the most painful experiences you will know on this side of eternity. It is a journey that is filled with many different emotions that can overwhelm us all at one time which is why it is frequently referred to as a horror roller coaster ride. It is a journey that can only be traveled one day at a time sometimes one moment at a time for you are now on a journey that is filled with all the first withouts and the memories that can be all too painful right now that include this time yesterday, last week, last month, last year to endure.

Please let me try to reassure you that what you are feeling and experiencing is very normal deep grief - - very painful both emotionally and physically, yes - - still very normal. Clinical professionals now recognize that the grief adjustment journey for the physical loss of a beloved companion is the same as for a human family member or friend. They also recognize that adults grieve differently from children. Sadly, though, some people who are the closest to us emotionally and geographically do not. Clinical professionals also recognize that suppressing grief is detrimental to both a person's physical and emotional health, so it is important that you allow yourself the opportunities you need to openly grieve for your beloved Teddy even if you need to find a private place to do so. There are several good books about grieving for a beloved companion you may want to look into for both you and your daughter - - particularly if she is having a hard time dealing with her grief. She needs to know that it is okay to grieve for Teddy, and by showing your grief you will be an example for her to see that it is okay.

This grief journey is one of adjusting to the physical absence of your beloved Teddy, and so it is very normal for you to feel as you do when you share with us "my memories let me be very aware of the fact we has such a long time together and although I am grateful for that time it doesn't change my feelings about not having him now." When our companions come into our hearts and home our lives are changed for the better. When they precede us to the angels our lives are changed again. We are faced with the enormously painful task of readjusting our lives and routines that no longer includes the routines we shared on a daily basis with our beloved companion. This adjustment doesn't happen in an hour, a day, a week, a month, or even 6 months - - it happens in our own way and in our time as we adjust to our beloved companion's physical absence.

As painful of this grief adjustment journey is, though, there is one thing that will never change - - the love bond you and your beloved Teddy share. Love is eternal, Lena - - it is not restricted to the physical laws of time and space. Your beloved Teddy's sweet Living Spirit is always and forever a part of your heart and memories - - he is always and forever a heartbeat close to you.

I know so very well from first hand experience that when our hearts are entrenched in deep grief there are no adequate words in any language that can soothe the searing pain of sorrow. Still I hope the words I share with you will offer you some measure of comfort, support, encouragement, and hope as you travel your grief adjustment journey.

Thank you so much for honoring us in sharing your beloved Teddy with us, Lena. He is sooo handsome, and from the expression on his face he KNOWS he is forever loved. And you, Lena, are blessed to be his sole, and soul, heir to his eternal love. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Lena
Thank you both for your replies! I got teary over them, in a good way for sure!

As far as my daughter and grieving. She knows I am sad, she knows why I am sad and I have tried to talk to her about how it makes her feel but sadly, as I am getting right now is that I shouldn't be sad cause she's in a happy mood. She'll grieve in her own way and I have done all I can to make sure she knows it's ok to show it even encouraging her to draw pictures and talk. She says she misses Teddy but sadly all our cats were really indifferent to her with the exception of Teddy zipping in her room whenever he could and that seems to be the times he crosses her mind.

I have read quite a few articles about the grieving process. I guess I keep getting hung up on the fact that I am grieving more for him than anyone else I have lost in my life. I figure that is due to working so hard to just get him to even like me and feeling like I won his unconditional love. And all the ups and downs he's been through with me in life. Friday night I have a date night with myself to watch some pet movies alone such as Where the Red Fern Grows and Marley and Me to just help get it out. Know I'm not going to come out the other side of it with a "whew! Glad that's all done with" but figure it'll help me break the dam on my emotions that I seem currently locked in. Guess the whole bottling things in happened while he was sick. I knew, knowing how Teddy is he was worried for me and so I put on that happy face and kept assuring him that it was ok to pass on, he'd be back with my Grandma and that he will never ever be forgotten and sang him his special song constantly I would sing to him whenever I came home from work or heck even the store. For most of his life I was under the impression that I couldn't have kids so he became my child, would trot out pictures of him whenever I could, took him with me on vacations when I could, although I have other pets typically it was me and him against the world! Anytime someone came in my orbit he didn't trust? Why he'd just pee on anything they owned. Ok, Ok so he did that with my husband too but my husband finally won him over.

He was the mouser of our house too. It's funny we had a mouse that for some reason decided it would be a good idea to live in our stove. We had 6 cats at that time (Cats just literally kept showing up on our doorstep) and Teddy was the one that camped out that stove for nearly a month stalking that mouse. Due to Teddy's lashing out and violent nature when he was young I had declawed him. I didn't like it but also was scared of serious injury. It was laser surgery and he had a morphine patch on his back leg all of his recovery. Honestly I wondered at times due to his interactions with the other cats if he even knew he was declawed. He didn't act like it but all the cats and us humans pretended injury when he swiped at us. He did have his pride. Anywho, to the mouse. So here is is, declawed and about 14 at the time and he was the one that caught the mouse while the other cats pretended disinterest with looks of "Oh I would have gotten around to that at some point" While the then baby of the house at 6 months followed Teddy around for a week like a groupie. Sigh, I told them all they had one job and one job only, to keep pests out of the house, I gave them food, litter, water, catnip and treats, one job! Teddy was the hero of the house and so got all the treats he wanted. Yes, I went out and bought him is very own tuna steak I cooked up for him.

moon_beam
Hi, Lena, thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing. I am soo smiling at everything you share with us about your beloved Teddy for his antics remind me so much of my beloved feline companion Eli who joined the angels at 6 years of age due to end stage Lymphoma. He suffered with the feline form of schizophrenia / personality disorder and needed Valium on a daily basis to provide a better chemical balance in his brain so that he could have a relatively normal life. In 2003 two sibling kittens joined the household - - a brother and sister - - who I named Noah and Abbygayle. Eli and Noah bonded tightly together - - Noah was Eli's "groupie", and it warmed my heart so much to see them together - - playing together - - getting into mischief together. Noah grieved deeply when Eli joined the angels, but we know Eli's sweet Living Spirit occasionally comes to visit us to let us know he is still with us.

This grief adjustment journey is not a straight line from A to Z but rather has many ups and downs, twists and turns, and turn arounds for sure, and I hope the movies will be able to help you find a way to release some of the sorrow in your heart.

I hope today is treating you kindly, Lena, and that you will have a peaceful evening blessed with your beloved Teddy's sweet Living Spirit to comfort you. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Lena
I am so sorry to hear about your loss as well. Teddy was, unique, lol. It was in the later years in his life he finally bonded with another cat that had joined the household, usually he tolerated new additions but my husband's cat Turq (followed hubby home from the mailbox) and him became the bestest of friends, heck the Friday before he passed I caught them wrestling with Teddy even as weak as he was being the "victor"!

I have my good times and bad. Today so far is a good day, nothing has really triggered my grief today. Usually I have a pretty tough time in the hallway outside our bedroom where Teddy always greeted me and today it was easier. But later....I don't know, last night as usual I did cry myself to sleep.

It's funny. The day Teddy passed I went outside to have a smoke and was sitting there just processing everything and I kid you not a bird landed right next to me, so close I could touch him and just started chattering at me in its birdie way for a good 5 min, turning it's head this way and that and just looking right at me. It gave me comfort. And then last night I opened our backdoor to let my pup out and had a giant black cat sitting on our back step who nearly gave me a heart attack. He quickly climbed up and out of our yard but it got me pondering why he showed up as my husband and I had brought him up just yesterday in relation to animals passing away and expressed worry he had passed being out in the elements since the last we saw him was early winter.

I've also had a bit of resentment to our other cats and that is now easing off. The baby of the house (not the youngest but her nature is very baby like) has been taking up everything that Teddy used to do. Yesterday she started greeting me every time I've come out of my bedroom, racing in anything my child goes to nap or bed, I mean in some ways it's almost like she's channeling Teddy. It's strange because usually she's the most timid of cats, loves affection and reacts well to it (usually ends up with anyone petting her being covered in drool after) but this is really out of character for her. As I always said about Teddy and she's now doing, she's everywhere I don't want her to be, lol.

Funny Teddy that came to me last night. In my younger years I used to live with a roommate that had a very young son. One early morning I woke up to my roommate shrieking about missing stuffed animals and as I attempted to rolled out of bed to help her investigate this mysterious burglary we had in the middle of the night I realized I was buried under a mound of stuffed animals. I swear it had to be 20 or 30 of them piled on top of me with Teddy on the other side of the room cleaning himself. Hahahahaha, looking back although he wasn't letting me pet him at this point or really touch him I guess he had accepted me since I ended up in bed with his many "kills" of the night.
LittleGirl'sMommy
Lena,

I like and relate to your signs - the bird, the cat, and especially your "baby of the house" acting like that! wub.gif

I hope your movie night is helpful and healing tomorrow!

Thinking of you,

Kathy
Lena
Thank you! As I said so far today has been a good day, am looking forward to alone time. Although my daughter (who is 5) knows why I am sad she hates seeing me upset so any crying moments are followed with a million questions, asked over and over again. Talking here and sharing the pain along with the happy stories has been helping a lot. Thank you all for reading and replies.
LittleGirl'sMommy
wub.gif
moon_beam
Hi, Lena, thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing. Sometimes one of the things that hurts during our grief journey is not having anyone to share our memories with in addition to the painful sorrow. Our society has a tendency to believe that what isn't "proven" by the five senses doesn't exist - - and that when a loved one - - whoever the life form - - is no longer physically with us they also cease to exist. This can't be farther from the truth - - for our loved ones - - both human and our beloved companions - - are ALWAYS with us in our hearts and memories - - they are always and forever a heartbeat close to us - - for love is eternal. So please know we are here for you for as long and as often as you need us to share whatever is in your heart and on your mind - - to share the not so bad days, the not so good days, and the days when it feels like your heart can no longer bear the burden of your deepest sorrow.

I hope today is treating you kindly, Lena, and that you will have a peaceful evening blessed with your beloved Teddy's sweet Living Spirit to comfort you. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.