Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has Anyone Here Ever Had A Senior Dog Require Surgery?
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
Robin623
I have an 11 year old Rottweiler and she needs surgery to remove a tumor on her leg. Of course at her age I'm a bit nervous, but would never cancel the surgery because the vet says it may be cancerous.

Has anyone here ever had a senior dog who needed surgery? What was it for? How did your dog do afterwords?

Just would like to hear other peoples stories to ease my mind, thanks
moon_beam
Hi, Robin, please permit me to offer you my sincerest comfort in the diagnosis of your precious companion who is in need of surgery.

My beloved Oslo, a handsome Black Lab, underwent surgery when he was 14 years old to obtain a biopsy of a tumor on his neck that was confirmed to be a slow growing cancer. He had multiple health issues including Laryngeal Paralysis that affected his breathing and with secondary progressive neurological paralysis in his rear legs and lower back - - similar to Lou Gherig's Disease. I would not have had him undergo this surgery if I did not completely trust his veterinary practitioner. He came through the surgery just fine to enjoy another year and 2 weeks with me - - it was a sudden stroke that took him home to the angels 2 weeks after his 15th birthday.

Every case is individual - - the decisions need to be made as best as possible with the information you have at the moment and what your heart is telling you is best for your precious companion. I know how concerned you are about your precious girl undergoing major surgery - - all surgery - - even the "minor" teeth cleaning - - has dangers associated with the procedure.

It is important for you to know that you and your precious girl are not alone. Each of us here do understand what you are going through, and we are here for you for as long and as often as you need us. Please know you and your precious companion are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how things go.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.