Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feline Facts & Forces :-d
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > CyberShoulder Room
Furkidlets' Mom
A couple of fun and heartwarming tidbits about felines:

From my daily cat calendar comes this fabulous feline fact:

"Cats spend much of their time snoozing in the slow lane, but it's a fact that their powerful hind legs enable them to reach running speeds of up to 25 mph. Add in the fear factor, and a cat can hightail it at 30 mph -- about 2 mph faster than the top human speed on record." cool.gif smile.gif

No wonder I very seldom ever won any of our "Are We Gonna RACE?!" sprints back to our driveway from playtimes across the street....and of those few times, I suspect Sabin & Nissa just LET their poor ol' Mom think she was somewhat speedy. rolleyes.gif

During some research today, I came across this heartwarming story about the founder of the "Animal Writings" blog, Gary (don't know his last name). Not sure if I'd have permission to reprint it in its entirety here, so this is the link instead: Nine Years Ago Today A Cat Came Over. You'll have to scroll down to the entry dated Friday, December 6, 2008. (if it disappears from this particular page in future, you should be able to find it by date in the right-hand column)

The singular POWER of just one cat soul to totally transform a regular guy into a force for good works for ALL creatures is just WONDERFUL, albeit rather typical of our animal brethren! As Gary himself puts it, "This was just the beginning of a major transformation.....I couldn't have imagined that I would soon enter into a spiritual journey in which I would change some of my fundamental views about the nature of the universe."

Why am I not terribly surprised? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
myhrtisbrkn

Compact, overpowered, and rear-wheel drive.

Fear Factor-I once had to try and escape a 4 lb cat who truly intended to kill me, 2hrs in the ER...tetanus booster, 40 stitches, shock. Motto: if you annoy the grooming client...don't act like prey.

Nissa and Sabin loved you a lot. Why am I not at all surprised? biggrin.gif
Furkidlets' Mom
YOIKS!!! And only [i]4 lbs.[/b]???!!! But One....More....Time! -> no big surprise! -- those defensive ggggggrrrrreat TOOTHIES and CLAWSIES can pack quite a whollop, Despite the size of the 'package'! blink.gif ohmy.gif

MMMmmmmmmmmrrrrrrOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!
myhrtisbrkn
Not to mention that , unlike dogs( front-wheel drive) ...they are naturally able to press the attack without first, letting go of you, and backing off to regain their momentum. Once they have you...you are had... on so many levels. cool.gif

Oh, so as not to come off as a 5'11'', slightly north of 160 lb, weakling. I could not, would not harm her...I actually dove into the horse trough in the large-animal clinic.
Furkidlets' Mom
And?.....did this 4 lb. powerhouse out-swim you, too? tongue.gif
myhrtisbrkn
When I hit the water she was embedded in my right forearm, at that point I was magically changed from a gazelle, into a life-raft. Did I mishandle the whole thing up to that point...decidedly ( nay epically ), but I could not get loose from her.

She and I actually became friends wub.gif ...in time.... Once the nightmares stopped. laugh.gif
Jon730
Several years ago there was a News Story about a cat who defended her employee from a burglar.

The cat was on an upstairs landing, when the intruder began heading for the bedroom in which the employee was sleeping.

The little cat launched herself at the intruder, attached herself to his face, and put her rear legs into Chainsaw Mode.

The police followed the blood trail out the door.
Furkidlets' Mom
Ah, yes, the sheer power/ounce of weight...

The neighbour's cat whom I'd been trying to convince her family to spay is only about 4-6 lbs of part-Siamese gusto. While she normally adores me (for relenting to her insistent purps, trills and yowls for "Plaaaaaaaaytime, pleeeeeease!!!"), she no longer suffers being picked up much. Poor girl has probably had to learn to stifle her naturally (and formerly) affectionate and trusting sides from living with such a self-absorbed 'family', with toddlers who hold her as if she was no more than a piece of cooked pasta, letting her dangle from whatever body part they've latched onto and supported by nothing but thin air. dry.gif

So I tried to tote her home during one of our horrible cold snaps (when no domesticated creature ought to have been out, period). Warning!! Warning, Will Robinson!! Before I realized the marked change in her tolerance, she rubberbanded in my arms and before I could even set her down again, I was sporting a few lovely, bright red, kitten-sized & razor-sharp gashes across my unsuspecting cheek and brow. rolleyes.gif I quickly catered to her love of games (this time Hide & Seek, behind parked cars and snowbanks) to get her to willingly follow me back to her doorstep.

It's often the smallest in stature among us all who must needs be more "fiercesome" and speedy in order to protect what we value.

Hmmm.....reminds me of a certain someone who, in her early 20's, gave chase to a larger male of her species who'd surreptitiously slipped a piece of jewelery into his pocket from the store in which she worked.....and got it back! I received a T-shirt with the moniker of "Mannix" emblazoned on the front. happy.gif
myhrtisbrkn

There goes burglary as an alternative retirement plan...

Sigh...The Felove of my life was a Siam-mix, make it Siam-max, Mephistopheles (aka Fleas ) wub.gif wub.gif ... and therefrom depends another thread that I will have the strength to post someday.
Furkidlets' Mom
Yes, this woman is way too familiar with me and my numerous but failed attempts to push the snippy plan....otherwise, as a shelter person had suggested I do, this girl may have just gone missing on a 'sick leave' and gotten returned with a slightly shaved belly....

That's so sweet - the Felove of your life. Aaaawwww. Looks like, similarly to the "Angelversary" and "Sadiversary" terms I'd come up with here, you've just coined a new and improved ti*tle for our beloved cat-kids!!....if you don't mind others using it, too, that is....???

And there sure IS somethin' about those DSHs with some hoisin sauce running in their veins. wub.gif
myhrtisbrkn
mind others using it. ?

I'd be honored.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.