Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More On 'strange Occurances' (from Elliott's Mom)
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > CyberShoulder Room
Mikki
This is for all of the lovely people who have been so supportive of me the last couple of days....I loved the story under 'strange occurances' and it reminded me that I have something....similiar to share. This is an excerpt from my journal, written about a month after Jet died:

1:00 a.m., July 3, 2006

Jet-Boy: The Most Exquisite, Cute and Perfect Cat.

I miss my cat. I miss my darling, black, diminutive kitty, my Jetty-Jet. I miss his enormous, round, yellow eyes, and his little old man cat-breath. I miss the little crook at the end of his tail and his insistent meow. I miss him curling up under my arm in bed at night and stretching out his paw till he touched the palm of my hand. I loved that little creature. He was my proverbial ‘favorite’ and I told him that all the time---‘don’t you worry’ I’d whisper in his ear ‘you are my favorite, you will always be my favorite’. I wonder if he knew? I wonder if he could feel just how much I adored him? There isn’t, nor will there ever be, a cat that has his same features, same habits, same personality traits as he had---or that I can feel as attached to. It isn’t possible. Jet was with me for 16 years and was the one constant in the tumultuous, emotional roller-coaster ride that is my life. He was a mischievous little stinker in his younger years and grew into the sweetest, gentlest (or ‘polite’ as John refers to him) affectionate and calming presence in this house. I love him all the way down to my toes and I hope his spirit is nearby and he knows how much he meant to me. He will live in my heart forever.

July 23, 2006

Did you know that if you find a cat whisker, that it will bring good luck? Nancy told me that once and since then, I’ve told John and my Mom and a few other people who I know to be cat-lovers. Occasionally when John or I would run across one of the cats’ whiskers and we’d ‘save’ it somewhere: on top of the dresser, on the end of the coffee table, on the ledge next to the sink, but eventually it would be brushed aside, dusted away, vacuumed up and forgotten…

Since Jet has died I have been obsessed with finding one of his whiskers. I have harbored this awful guilt and sorrow over not having been with him when he was put to sleep; of not having arranged for him to be euthanized at home like we did with Arliss. It’s left me feeling like I’d let him down in some way or that I didn’t quite close our relationship properly. I wasn’t even home when John buried him; I had to pick Mom up from the airport so we didn’t have a funeral or any kind of ceremony like we did with Arliss and Lucy. And that has bothered me.

Yesterday while cleaning house and purging old papers, magazines and books, I caught myself obsessively turning over cushions where I knew Jet tended to hang out, eyeing the carpeting very closely as I vacuumed and just generally digging around in dusty corners and crevasses hoping to stumble across one of his beloved whiskers. Finally, in exasperation I sat down on the yellow chaise lounge cushion (one I had just moments earlier flipped and scrutinized), and just sat quietly for a moment….thinking about him…..and I found myself saying a little prayer of sorts, something like “Jet, if you are out there, if your energy exists in some form or another and you can know that I’m thinking of you, then please, please let me find one of your whiskers someday. I’m going to stop looking now because I’m making myself nuts, so I’m giving this up to you and I’ll just patiently wait knowing that someday, when I least expect it, I will stumble across one of your precious whiskers.”

I went downstairs, emptied the garbage, trudged wearily back upstairs with the empty can, shuffled around a few more items and reached over the chaise lounge for my glass of water---and there it was. Right in the middle of the yellow cushion exactly where I had been sitting not 5 minutes earlier while praying to Jet to send me a whisker! My heart exploded with joy and my eyes welled up in tears….but my logical brain was immediately triggered and I began to rationalize the whole thing: it could be one of Elliot’s whiskers, Elliot is a dark-grey cat and Jet was black, so it could just be one of Elliot’s. Well it certainly isn’t Otis’s whisker since he is a tan tabby with snow-white whiskers. So what if it is Jet’s; maybe I just happened to sit down earlier today and pick up one of his whiskers on the seat of my pants and it transferred over to the yellow cushion when I sat on it. His whiskers and cat hair are all over the house, there must be a logical explanation. I went downstairs and picked up Elliot and held his dark grey face next to my black pants. White. Elliot’s whiskers are a very light-grey or white, even! I realize then that it doesn’t matter to me how his whisker landed there, it doesn’t matter because I know that it is Jet’s.

I am blown away. Absolutely speechless and in awe of what has just happened to me. I hold the little whisker in my hand and marvel at the mysterious and loving power of the universe; I am awash in gratitude.

I have a small end table downstairs with a glass top. The top sits on a 1-inch ledge that surrounds the table leaving room beneath for an assortment of trinkets and treasures and memorabilia that I have collected over the years. Jet’s whisker is now in there. It’s lovingly tucked in next to Lucy’s feather, my great-great grandma’s pocket watch, my gold baby locket, and some tiny dried finch eggs that I salvaged out of the finch cage many years ago. It seems right that it should inhabit that space; it belongs with so many other things ‘of my heart’.

Now I can’t help but wonder: if I can just ‘release’ my desires for other things in my life, will the universe deliver in the same way? I really wonder……

7/26/06

An excerpt of an email from Nancy: ......Cats, even (i really believe) walk through many worlds. I think they inhabit many levels of reality while residing in our homes. The whisker, IS jets. I don't question it at all. Not for a single second. what a gift. how great. How fantastic. right on the chair. sweet little special smart beast. I love this story!
ann
OH what GREAT Story!.. With a super happy ending. Jet heard you most definitely. I never question anymore, just greatfully accept and enjoy it. Funny about the whisker thing (didn't know it was lucky). I had foud one of Arthur's (while he was still alive) I kept in on the visor in my car. When he died, I had the vet tech cut some of his fur. I went to put it in the baggie with his fur and I dropped it. A white whisker on a white floor. I was heartsick. I had had this for months. I thought I'd never find it. Just b4 I got out the broom, I spotted it, what luck!..My baby answered me in the form of another cat that showed up in my yard that looked so similar to him. I never saw that cat again.. If I hadn't taken his picture I would have questioned myself as to what I saw.. I'm so sorry for your loss. Hoping many more whiskers to fall from heaven.. Hugs.. Ann
sissycat
Love your story.
Things happen in strange ways. So glad you found it.

Hugs!!!!!!
Nemo's Mommy
Hi Mikki-

This is a wonderful story! Yes, I would have been just estatic with joy at discovering Jet's whisker! That is truly amazing! I don't know how else in the world it would have gotten there except for your sweet baby Jet putting it there for you, saying, I love you, Mommy!

I have a very rational side also, and I try to go through all the scenarios just like you did. After my experience with my "strange occurences", I have been a lot more a peace. I was just losing my mind before wanting to know I would see them again, and having that experience put me much more at ease.

I still have had strange things happen since then, and continue to have them. My Ren was quite the character, so I am sure he is involved. And my kitty Jasmine has had a few other experiences also, seeing things.

I keep thinking about Jasmine and the hamburger "incident" that night. I am not sure I even put that part on there, but maybe I did. My husband put a piece of hamburger in front of Jasmine- she was on the ottoman (which is very large)- she normally gobbles it up, but she went for it, and then kind of narrowed her eyes, and backed off. She tried a couple more times, and did the same thing, and did NOT eat the hamburger (Jasmine eats everything). That is how she would act if there was another cat in front of the hamburger. (there was no other cats there). We have tested this many times since, and we give Jasmine hamburger and she scarfs it down. Then, we tried putting it in front of one of the other cats, but kinda by her (they were both on the ottoman), and she did that thing again- went for it, narrowed her eyes and backed off, and then tried a couple more times. That certainly runs through my mind a lot..... there was no logical reason for Jasmine to behave that way, unless there was another cat there my human eyes could not see....

Mikki
QUOTE (Nemo's Mommy @ Sep 17 2008, 05:03 PM) *
Hi Mikki-

This is a wonderful story! Yes, I would have been just estatic with joy at discovering Jet's whisker! That is truly amazing! I don't know how else in the world it would have gotten there except for your sweet baby Jet putting it there for you, saying, I love you, Mommy!

I have a very rational side also, and I try to go through all the scenarios just like you did. After my experience with my "strange occurences", I have been a lot more a peace. I was just losing my mind before wanting to know I would see them again, and having that experience put me much more at ease.

I still have had strange things happen since then, and continue to have them. My Ren was quite the character, so I am sure he is involved. And my kitty Jasmine has had a few other experiences also, seeing things.

I keep thinking about Jasmine and the hamburger "incident" that night. I am not sure I even put that part on there, but maybe I did. My husband put a piece of hamburger in front of Jasmine- she was on the ottoman (which is very large)- she normally gobbles it up, but she went for it, and then kind of narrowed her eyes, and backed off. She tried a couple more times, and did the same thing, and did NOT eat the hamburger (Jasmine eats everything). That is how she would act if there was another cat in front of the hamburger. (there was no other cats there). We have tested this many times since, and we give Jasmine hamburger and she scarfs it down. Then, we tried putting it in front of one of the other cats, but kinda by her (they were both on the ottoman), and she did that thing again- went for it, narrowed her eyes and backed off, and then tried a couple more times. That certainly runs through my mind a lot..... there was no logical reason for Jasmine to behave that way, unless there was another cat there my human eyes could not see....

well, like my friend Nancy noted (at the end of my original post) cats walk through both worlds. I like to think so. What's bumming me out right now is that I do not feel that Elliott is here. I keep trying to 'feel' him, but I think he is busy elsewhere right now......I do hope and pray that I get some kind of sign from him, that would really comfort me.

That is so cool about the hamburger! yeah, I think cats are very perceptive; see and hear things that we can, have ability to travel through several different dimensions. I hope I get something from Elliott at some point.......

Thanks for sharing your story!!
Mikki
Nemo's Mommy
I'm sure your sweet Elliott is there with you. Sometimes I feel like they are around, and other times I don't feel them at all. I think they flit in/out of both worlds, and sometimes they are just busy being "happy cats". Which is a good thought...... maybe they are playing together in the sun.
LS Support
i've moved this post to the Cybershoulder forum along with the strange occurence post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.