Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sable Has Djd In Her Shoulder
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
Mink&WillowsMom
You know, I keep thinking I'm going to run into a 'dry spell' of good health that I have nothing new to bring to LS. {set intention set intention}

Sable has degenerative joint disease in her right shoulder. I'm putting Rohan on Cosequin (glucosamine & chondrointin) anyway, so we'll just throw some in for her too. The capsules don't list the mg dose, but I'll find out what it is. Does anyone know: can I give human gluc. & chon. in the kitty-sized doses to the kitties? Is there any difference in the level of pharmaceutical purity between human and veterinary meds? Wait, it's not considered a human medicine but a nutritional supplement, so it's not under the FDA. Hmm, ironically, I bet that means it'll be even easier to find out purity information. Anyway, can I buy the human stuff and give kitty-size (vet mg) doses? Is cosequin more than just glucosamine & chondrointin?

I'll be consulting with a homeopathic vet shortly.

Acupuncture?
What is lysine for? -- I've heard of people using that for pets
I'll create some midi-steps for her to get on and off the bed and her favorite chair.
Doc said mayyyyybe a baby aspirin every 3rd day, but...

The balance will be how much pain relief we can offer without taxing the kidneys, or injuring her liver.
I'll be talking with my regular vet tomorrow and will know more what western vet. medicine offers.
Advice eagerly welcomed. ~Kimberly
oliver's mama
I'm not familiar with the use of any of those, but lots of meds that vets use are dilute and/or minimal versions for humans. I would confim it with my vet of course, but it most likely would be ok. I did a general search on lysine, it looks like it's used for cats with herpes which either manifests itself with flu like symptoms or eye infections.

I personally would be leary of aspirin, especially if her kidneys are risky. When Lily was diagnosed with CRF, my inner voice told me to scale back her Diazepam 99% even though the vet said she would be fine. While the vets know alot about cats, I know mine much better, and this place is full of nightmare veterinary experiences.
LoveThem
Well, I Googled cat aspirin and found this information...sounds useful..also answers some of your other questions. Hope it helps.

http://www.valleypetnews.com/venerable_vet_i.htm

Judy
Mink&WillowsMom
Yes, thank you! I really liked the explanation about why aspirin should only be given every 3 days. I had thought it was a toxicity issue, but it's a drug breakdown half-life issue -- lets me see it completely differently. And the dosing info was good. 2.2 kg = 1 pound, right?
LoveThem
I don't know on the dosage but I googled the words: cat aspirin dose

here is another link about dosage and its main page talks about medications for cats.
The main page on all medications is:

http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/catmed.html

http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/catmed.html#As...ge%20for%20cats

You could always make sure by talking to your vet or leaving the question for someone to ask him and call you back.

Give your baby a hug wub.gif

I see the 2nd one was shortened so I don't know if you can click on it but if not, the main page link is okay and then just click on the aspirin information plus you may see other interesting doses of medicines that may help.
Mink&WillowsMom
Got more info from her doc too. Your links were SO helpful, thanks! smile.gif Gave her the first dose today -- I'll let you know what happens. ~K
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.