I just got wind of a new book by Jan Rasumusen, called "Scared Poopless: The Straight Scoop on Dog Care." Here's an excerpt, from the author's website, "Dogs4Dogs":

Five years ago I gave my two “furry kids” the very best care possible--or so I thought. They ate a top brand of “natural” pet food, were “up-to-date” on their shots and always protected with monthly heartworm and flea meds. Not for one moment did I suspect that my good intentions were actually shortening my dogs' lives! But they were......Whether you have a healthy new pup, an ailing old canine friend or something in-between, this book will open your eyes to the truth about dog care and improve your dog's chances of staying (or getting) healthy and safe. If it doesn't, return it for a full refund.

This sounds to be a new MUST READ book, and her website is full of helpful information, too. See it, and her book, here. See her EXTENSIVE Table of Contents here.

As a note, I'm sure most of the general information contained in her book also applies to cats, and probably many other furry creatures under the 'care' of your average vet. Jan has also teamed up with one of America's top animal nutrition experts, Dr. Jean Hofve and offers some sample recordings of dietary myths right on her website. She also offers an e-newletter, among many other things.

While I haven't read her book, I can tell just from her website that I'm sure I'd agree with pretty much everything she has to say about dog care (and animal care in general). If you have a dog, had a dog, or are thinking about adopting a dog, YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK and check out her website. In fact, even if your babies are feline, you should at least read through her website, as the same kind of thinking applies. It's simply ABOUT TIME this kind of info. was becoming more common out there! It's what I and our 2 vets have been agreeing with for years already.