Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sick Kitty
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
Mistletoe
Fortunately, I have not had to post anything here since last July, when we so tragically lost Mistletoe (Missy). I read all the posts from you that have lost pets, and have to do it a little at a time, because my heart just hurts for all of you---

But I now have a situation--which I much more prepared for than when Missy died.

His name is Junior and he is around 13 years old--He always made his presence known, anytime human food was being prepared or eaten. I would always give him the dish to lick as long as it wasn't spicey. This cat was fond of food of any sort.

He has always been a skinny cat, but I noteced about 2 week ago that he looked like he was loosing weight, so I started feeding him canned food along with his dry. Then I noticed that he had all but stopped eating and drinking around this past Thursday.

I took him to the vets yesterday and got the news---he has a mass on his belly and she could not tell me where it was attached. His white blood cell count was elevated, so she is presuming it is cancer. She didn't feel that he would make it through surgery, because of his age---and I agree with that--

I took him home because at this point, he is not uncomfotable or in pain. He is not eating or drinking. She gave me some medication for pain and I am using that once a day and giving him what ever he will take in water. I have to use a syringe and boy--that little bugger still has a lot of fight in him--But his days are numbered. sad.gif I have him on the day bed in my computer room, where I can keep my eye on him and pet him every once in awhile--

I am hoping that he will just go peacefully, in his sleep. It just is to painful to have them put to sleep. I always thing of one of my kitties "Chessie", who picked up her head and looked at me when the vet put the tip of the syringe in her. It's a very hard picture to forget and it has been more than a year.

I will do what I have to---but I am hoping Junior will just close his eyes and go tell all his adopeted brothers and sisters, that Mom and Dad say hello--and that we still miss everyone.
LoveThem
I am so sorry to hear about Junior. I have had more babies taken by cancer than anything else. I, too, do not like the decision to put them down. I have always been too hysterical to be in the room with them and I can't let them sense that because they might fight going and I want it peaceful. The vets I have seen lately will give a tranquilizer first so they actually go to sleep for a short while and then while they are sleeping with eyes closed....they are then put in the deeper sleep. But I always know what they will be going through if I don't make the decision. I can't let them go through what will happen...the final outcome will not change but I want everything to be as peaceful as possible for them. It is the worst decision we are asked to make but they can't make it for themselves and having the unconditional love they do have, I think if they had a choice...they would stay with us until their last breath..no matter what they had to go through.

I am sorry he is not drinking or eating...that is so hard to take. That can affect so many organs especially the liver..with a mass it just may be too uncomfortable for him to eat or drink. From what I have read and been told by vets, cats cannot go very many days without drinking or eating.

I wish you the very best and I hope Junior is taken peacefully. What a sweet baby.
This is the time that we all dread when we open our hearts and homes to these very special ones but it is the many years of happy and healthy times that eventually we will remember, knowing that..that is why we do make them a part of our heart.

I hope you continue to post here especially while you are going through this at this time....hopefully posting will help you get through everything. Give Junior a big hug and kiss and just tell him many have told you what a special boy he is.

Judy

You said you lost Missy in July...so you are going through losing 2 in less than a year. What a heartbreaking time. They are worth it but it still is so very very hard to go through.
Mistletoe
Thanks Judy---

We have a "bunch" of kitties so for us to have 2 go within a year it not unusual--
We started out with one cat that we wanted--Garfield of course--and ended up with many more--some just found us and we rescued 2 from an Animal Shelter---

When we came to Florida from Georgia we brought 7 with us----they are all gone now--when we bought our house--2 cats came with it wub.gif and then we had 9--

We did end up with more than that and we have welcomed them and lived with them---and luckily--my husband is as crazy about cats as I am--

It seemed like every time we lost one--another one showed up--unexpectedly to take their place---

Junior is still hanging in there--I really cannot believe the shape he is in at this time--This is the reason I brought him home--That's Smokie with him--who is from his moma's first litter--he is 2 years older than Junior and has been by his side for the past 2 days--I think he knows Junior is not doing well---
goliath
My love goes out to you at this heartbreaking and difficult time in your life. It is so hard to part with a furry kid that is loved so much. I pray that Junior goes peacefully for you. Please know you are not alone. There are many loving, wonderful, and compassionate people here who will help get you through this.

Your kitty pics are precious and you must be too, having had so many catloves in your time. You must have a fountain of wonderful memories of your Junior as well as Missy and all of your other furkitties to savor forever.

Many hugs, peace, and comfort come to you from my heart.
LoveThem
I love the picture with Smokie and Junior. Yes, they do sense things..not only about other animals but also about people. A couple of years ago..my husband and I went out to a restaurant for dinner and I got sick. We came home right away and it was all I could do to lie down on the bed and I did lay there for 2 or 3 hours before I felt that I could get up and walk around. I just froze laying there. Well, Little Guy came right up on the bed and lay by me the entire time. This was unusual for him to do that. It wasn't until I got up..that he did too. I just felt protected by him being there. I just know they have a special sense and I think Smokie is definitely staying by Junior's side for a reason.

I did enjoy your stories about the number of cats you do keep around so when any do go, your home is not empty of the furbabies.

I did have to laugh when you said when you bought your home..two cats came with it. I started picturing the For Sale Ad...you know, like some homes come with a pool. It's like you saw an ad that saw the home comes with 2 cats. tongue.gif They were lucky the new owners (you) decided they really did come with the house. biggrin.gif

At times of sadness we smile when we can and I know I have smiled at the pictures you have posted so far. There is just something about a picture that tears at your heart.

Again, please post anytime it helps you to write anything down...even telling stories about the different things your babies have done that made you smile. Maybe some things about Junior that made you smile ...remembering.. Did you have him all 13 years? While their times always seem too short, I have appreciated it when I have babies for many years...my Little Guy at 16 1/2 was the longest I ever had one. I do find that the longer I had them....the longer I want them to stay. Unfortunately, that is not always in our hands to do. Take Care...give Smokie and Junior a hug and keep in touch.

Judy
Mistletoe
Thank you for the kind notes---he is now--on his way to Rainbow Bridge--but what a fisty little thing he was until today---I am surprised that he has held on this long-

He was doing a lot of sleeping, but when he knew I was in the kitchen cooking, in he would come--meowing wanting some "people food" He was hardly touching his canned food that I had bought at the vets--but he would try a little of the dry and he would eat the soft cat treats--the last few days he was getting hamburger and tuna fish--which he would gobble up--if he wanted a drink--he would sit by one of the bathrooms and meow--I would put him on the counter and turn the faucet on for him and he would drink--He even wanted some of my corned beef I made for St Patty's day--

He was good this morning, but when I got home from work I could see a change. I gave him his pain medication which has made him comfortable, he is getting a little water just to keep his mouth moist and he is on my day bed with me--he is sleeping--and I am sure he will be gone before morning--but I will stay with him until that moment comes and he will know he is not alone--- wub.gif

I cannot say how much I appreciate finding this site--as this is what got me thru the terrible time when Missy died--I hate to see Junior go-- sad.gif but I can deal with this a little better--

But he's got all of this housemates to meet up with again--and he won't be alone--
LoveThem
I wish both of you peace and hugs. wub.gif

Keep in touch.

Judy
goliath
My arms are around both you and Junior right now. As he passes from your loving arms and enters the gate of heaven by crossing rainbow bridge I pray you be blessed with comfort.

By coming here and sharing your sorrow as well as your joy you will be able to begin your long journey of healing. We have all been truly blessed in having shared in such a loving relationship with our furry kids. Junior will join with all those furangels that have gone before him that you loved so much. wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.