Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Best Choke Free Collar For Kitty
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Loss Websites, News and Other Info
nyzki
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with suggesting the best choke free collar for my cats. I am looking for one that will come apart if he gets caught.

I would just feel better with him outside knowing that his information will be on his tags if God forbids anything happens to him that some kind soul will be able to contact us.

Any suggestions would be helpful

thanks Boo & nyzki biggrin.gif smile.gif
AlleysMama
Riley wears one from ragtimepetcollars.com

It is cotton and very lightweight so it doesn't bother him to wear it and has a breakaway clasp so he won't get hung up in it. They can also embroider your phone number right on the collar, and have many fabrics and colors to choose from. All the nylon collars are too heavy, but these are wonderful.

I also have a tag on it from here http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=co...k=h#CollarTag_N

I have the one that slides on the collar and lays flat because he doesn't like a dangling one. I'll never use another collar or tag after these!
nyzki
Thank you Alley, I appreciate the information and will be purchaseing one soon.

nyzki
nyzki
well,
I got two collars for my kitties and had some very adorable tags made with thier names and my phone # on them, I feel alot better knowing that my and thier information is now available if something befell them.

Thanks you so much for the information in regards to the perfect collar.

Boo, nyzki & Poppy biggrin.gif
LoveThem
Yeah, thanks, AlleysMama for the collar info. I think I will check it out for Lucky. He is Microchipped from the shelter but the way he tries to run outside (I think he might have lived outdoors when he was abandoned and is curious about what is outside), I would like a collar for him so people could phone me right away if someone saw him outside. Which would only happen if I couldn't catch him but he doesn't run away from me. It's just that sometime there could be a stray cat he would spot and give chase to and that's how a neighbor of mine lost her cat and never saw him again..it's been 2 years since he ran after another cat in the area. She adopted another but has never forgotten the one she lost. He had no collar but was microchipped but never found.

I have stayed away from collars since when I had my 3 kittens..I got them stretch collars and it was one way I could tell Little Guy and Keeper apart. But then one day I saw that Keeper had gotten it caught around one of his fangs and he was frozen cause he couldn't get it free. He let me unhook it from his tooth without scratching or panic..which I appreciated from a kitten. But then I just took them off and never used collars again.

Your information sounds real good...about a breakaway one...and your idea about tags also. The tags Lucky came with from the shelter (cause he had all his shots), I thought were a size I would put on one of my German Shepherd dogs...not a small cat.

We do learn so much here, don't we? That's a nice thing.

Judy
Furkidlets' Mom
Cats should NEVER have a collar that ISN'T able to come off easily, as they can easily get strangled or mauled to death by a dog attack (sorry to the dog people, but it does happen) if they can't escape when the dog gets a hold of their collar. They need to be able to slip out of their collar. Non-breakaway, or expandable collars shouldn't even rightly be sold, they're so dangerous for cats.

So another cheap and easy solution (and most easily replaceable should they lose their collars) is to simply buy a roll of stretch elastic in about a 3/8" width, measure it around your cat's neck so as to leave about a finger's-width play in it, then sew it together. You can attach a tag to it with a slip-ring (so that the tag lays flat against their body) and also, if it's a light-coloured elastic, you can additionally write your phone # right on the elastic as extra measure in case their tag goes missing. However, make sure if you use felt marker to do the writing, you air it out outside for as long as it takes to first get the marker fumes well-dissipated before making your cat wear it!

However, that said, I still believe the only way to safely allow one's cat outdoors is if you're right there with them, supervising their whereabouts, or in a very large pen-type enclosure of some kind (with shade and water & interesting things readily available....preferably set up in a garden or on a lawn, with additional seating and climbing accoutrements), or kept in the yard with one of the cat-proof fence attachments on the top of your fence (if you have a fence, that is). That is really the only way to ensure their highest level of safety, and therefore, their longevity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.