Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Had To Give Pet Up For Adoption
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
catlover2
Hi all, I'm new and am not sure where to post my topic. I had a very sick cat who is doing better but was going to require care and constant monitoring that I couldn't provide him. So instead of putting him down, I found another home for him where he will get the care that he needs and live many more happy years I hope. The problem is, unlike when I have to put pets to sleep..it's over. I grieve and move on. This time, I am grieving like my cat is dead...but he isn't (I can even go and visit when I want) but I know he will never be home w/us. I really miss him and it's so hard.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for not judging me, I feel like I made the best decision for my cat. My work/school schedule does not allow me to be home much and I couldn't care/monitor him like he requires. It breaks my heart though-
Mink&WillowsMom
It IS a heartbreak, no need to try to dress it up otherwise. And what a courageous, lovely act you made in finding him another home. (And pass our thanks onto the adoptive parent too!) What you're describing is a similar kind of dilemma faced by so many people when their elderly parents require care beyond what they can provide. The scale of the decision is different, of course, but the feelings are much the same. It makes sense to grieve. I like that it's an 'open adoption,' you get to visit or hear how he's doing! Be gentle with yourself, you made a difficult, yet win-win decision. Many others would have euthanized him, like you say. Giving him more life and the care he needs is a good thing! Hugs, Kimberly
LoveThem
As you said...you made the best decision for your cat. You found him a home where he would be able to get the attention and care he needed.

Take Care and find peace that the decision was right....where it was most important to be right.

I have modified my original post as what I said no longer applies except for the above sentences which still apply to what you originally wrote here.
catlover2
thank you so much to you all for your kind and ccmforting words, it helps...although I am so heartbroken and am constantly questioning my decision. I miss my cat, this is a tough time for sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.