Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Degenerative Myelopathy
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
LittleGirl'sMommy
Hi,

Have any of you had experience with Degenerative Myelopathy? My shepherd is almost 15 and that's what he has. He uses a walker for our daily walks, which has prolonged his life a lot !

But now his bladder is enlarged. He's on 1 of 2 last-resort medications. He has 2 good vets, and he gets lots of wub.gif from me and friends.

Just thought I'd check because I want to base my decision on all possible facts/experiences I can find.

THanks,

Kathy
LoveThem
I've had 3 shepherds in my lifetime and none ever got to be 15....what a blessing for you.

I'm sorry I never heard of what you asked about but I would suggest what I have found helpful is to use the Google search engine on the Internet and put the words in there in quotes to keep them together...then I would also put words like dog or canine to narrow the search down and many times you can find others who have dealt with that medical condition.

Good Luck and I wish you much more time together and that the medications do help.
Alexi's Mom
I have a 9 year old female shepherd. She too has Degenerative Myelopathy. She was first diagnosed with it May 2007. She is at the point where her left side is probably 90% paralyzed and her right side is becoming weaker. I had her on a special diet with some supplements and she did really well for about 6 months and since the middle of January it seems she is deteriorating alittle quicker.

I know the time is coming when I will have to make a decision and I am definitely not looking forward to it. And I know I'm being selfish...but I don't want to loose my dearest friend.

I did some research on the internet about the disease. There are some pretty good websites out there. I wish you luck with your buddy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.