Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Common Diseases In Tabbies?
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
nickels
After nearly two decades of being "kitten free" we have a beautiful tiny little boy tabby. We have had him since he was abandoned at 3 weeks and are currently working with the vet to get him healthy. Nothing too bad but hey, he was only 3 weeks old when he was left for 2 days without food, water, or mama's milk. Seems like each breed sometimes has a specialty disease that they are prone to. I believe that tabbies are pretty tough but does anyone know if they are prone to any certain diseases? Thanks for reading this. Michelle
Muffins
Dear Michelle:

Hi. Congratulations on your new little bundle of love wub.gif . As well, I adore your avatar of your beloved Nickels wub.gif . Such a sweet face!

I don't know of any specific diseases that affect tabbies, but I did find this website that might be of some help.
http://cats.about.com/cs/tabbycats/a/tabby_cats.htm

Please let us know how your little guy is getting along, okay?

Peace & Love to you and yours,

Denise
Furkidlets' Mom
Congrats! on a new lifetime family member!

Okay, this is going to be a mouthful, but I see it as a great opportunity for someone (you and yours!) to allay so much of the future suffering we here all know so well, and so I'm going to attempt to explain my recommendations. If I'd had the chance to do things this way when my kidlets were young, I believe they not only would have been spared much if not all of their own dis-ease, but they might have also still both been with me today. I'm passionate about this viewpoint and so, please bear with me as I try to explain....

Since most animals today aren't inherently healthy to begin with, especially after having been originally abandoned and suffered goodness knows what, as usual, I'd advocate for finding a homeopathic vet to work with. Kitten or puppyhood is the best place to start because the longer someone lives, the more ingrained inherent weaknesses become in the system, and the harder it becomes to effect any lasting CURE. Since homeopathic treatment is likened to peeling away layers of an onion, the younger one is, the less layers of dis-ease there are to address and the quicker it is to return the body to a state of VITAL health....not just 'okay' health. Homeopathy does not simply MASK symptoms of dis-ease, but treats them at their core, which is part of the reason it can actually cure, for good, any particular illness or condition and not simply "manage" it. It gets to the very roots of illness and corrects the imbalances that create eventual (or current) dis-ease in that individual.

This is called "const*itutional" homeopathic treatment, working on the particular individual's unique response to dis-ease and taking their TOTAL being (emotional, physical, mental and energetic levels) into account when prescribing a homeopathic "remedy". For this reason, even IF tabbies as a whole have certain predispositions to particular diseases or conditions, no one individual will express a common disease in exactly the same way, and so mainstream medical treatments are far less likely to effect an actual, lifetime CURE within that individual and in fact, often make matters worse, driving disease even deeper into the body....but homeopathy can and often does, especially if utilized ASAP.

Homeopathy is also particularly suited to those instances where you don't even know the background of someone, as treatment is based solely on the specific SYMPTOMS that are expressed in that individual. It is also extremely inexpensive to buy the "remedies" (and with classical homeopathy, normally only ONE at a time is used), so the highest amount you are paying is for the Dr's consultation, which in many cases is comparable to any holistic vet's fees, or sometimes even less. The very first in-depth consultation is usually higher, though, as they take a complete history and also personality profile of the animal....which ought to take LESS time with a kitten, as there's less history to go through. But often this first appointment lasts up to 2 hours, so it's not an 'over-charge.' After that, the consults are far quicker and therefore cost much less. You don't have to find a local homeopathic vet, either, as most will easily work over the phone (long distance) and you only need a local vet to do physical checks or tests if and when required.

So, rather than focusing on a particular 'breed''s problems, this is what I'd suggest instead. If I could have a "DO OVER" in any area regarding my kids, this would be it, from square one! (and a raw food diet, too, to maintain best health) Most homeopathic vets are also proponents of holistic health, all-'round, so they can advise you on many other good/better/best aspects of maintaining health.

This probably isn't what you were expecting and isn't even what you asked for, but I truly believe it's the best route to take with our babies' health and well-being.....and our OWN as well!
nickels
Dear Denise and Furkidlets Mom,

Somehow in the confusion of personal tradgedies I'm experiencing, two friends dieing of cancer, Mom in the hospital with a possible leg amputation, +++, I've overlooked the responses to my question on this topic I asked about. I apologize for not getting back to you.

My precious Frankee is such a blessing at this time. The more stressed I get, the more kisses he gets. He's especially confused on the belly kisses wub.gif ! Anyway he is doing much better. He still has a problem with his tail and it looks as if his back heels will always bear the scars of his trama. Other than that, he seems to be a normal very happy healthy beautiful kitten. He is getting longer and longer and he is also developing the longest legs I've seen this side of the siamese breed! I'm sure he will be an up high jumping kitty. Another thing is that he continues to sleep through the night and does not get into anything all night! All the other kittens I've had are pretty nocturnal and usually have to be sequestered to an area of the house so I can have uninterupted sleep.

I appreciate the advice on homeopathic treatment. A few years ago I had checked into some of the sources on the internet regarding these treatments and diets. I wished I would have followed through with Nickels but hindsight is always 20/20. With our pets food sources being randomly poisoned it is making me seriously consider a total homeopathic way of life. Do we ever really know what is in these store bought foods? I'm also worried about slow reacting poisons that we all may not be aware of that could damage their little bodies over several years. I may be paranoid but in this day and age, and the many companies and people that these store bought foods go through, makes me really want to change my choices in my animals health and diet choices. Also makes me miss the fresh fruits and vegetables I grew up eating on the farm.

I have located a holistic vet that was recommended to me here in Tulsa. I need to call and make an appointment along with the follow up of our new vet that I trust. After watching my one friend go through biopsies and treatments, seems he gets worse after each one. Even the health food store took $2000.00 of his money for a huge haul of viatimins that he cannot keep down and seemed to make him worse until he stopped them (about 50 bottles, I kid you not). "Trust" IS the key in todays society and it seems to be in very short supply everywhere. EVERYTHING is about the money. I thank God for this board. I feel there are more experts through hands on LOVE than any college degree vet (or human Dr.) has to offer. It's also a wonderful insight to see my anger over past treatments of my babies through "caring vets" that is echoed over and over through other peoples experiences on this board. At the risk of sounding like a paranoid old hippy, I question everything that Corporate America manufacturers. They only care about the money and with every group that graduates to go into these "professional" fields, they are all advised to shave 10% off the bottom line. What are our pets really eating? It was funny to see Frankee's reaction when I poured him his first bowl of high dollar kitten meal. He took one smell and scratched at the floor like he was trying to bury a bad bowel movement. That should tell me something!

Thank you Denise for sending me the link on Tabbies. I will read it over the next few days. I'm pretty sure they're a tough breed. The tabbies I have known seem to live late into thier teens and I hope my little Frankee will be amoung them. I also agree with Furkidlet's Mom that this is the age to start what will be good dietary habits as well as health options.

I love the pictures of your babies. They are so beautiful. It saddens me of your losses and I thank you both for all your caring of my new baby. After such losses that we have all suffered I worry about my other two kitties (13 & 14) as well as my Macaw and Frankee. Don't even get me started on the lack of responsible companies that put out Parrot food. They change their recipes more than Paris Hilton changes wardrobes. Just when I find Mango (my macaw) a good food, the product line either completely disapears or the quant*ity of large nuts and other important additives is replaced my more millet seed and other ingredients she throws to the bottom of her cage.

Sorry to ramble. I will keep you updated on Frankees progress and will soon be posting more new pictures of him. I did discover a GREAT toy that he literally will play with for up to an hour. It's a fabric play mat with two fabric covered arcs over it. It's made for human babies and I picked it up at an estate sale for $5.00. Completely washable, the "noise pads" snap off so that you can throw it in the washer! It also has "crinkly" material in parts of it. I hang kitty toys from the fabric covered arches and he will wear himself out. I also hung a huge skaters pom pom, complete with a bell, from the center like a large disco ball. He will get a running start and swing all over it. It's the greatest cat toy since a wadded up ball of paper and just about as inexpensive. I also found at another estate sale one of those battery powered balls with a fake racoon tale on it. When I started it up I've never heard so much hissing and spitting followed by a blazing trail out of the room! I'm sorry but his reaction was hysterical laugh.gif . Shame on me! I took the battery out and now it's one of his favorite toys. He drags it around by the tail and it's funny watching him straddle the large ball as he walks. I find myself into "alternative everything". Mango was raised on Fisher Price and V-tech interactive toys in addition to her regular chew toys.

Well enough for now. Thanks and hugs to both of you for all your caring and time you spend on this board. Your truly a Godsend and will be kept in my prayers. smile.gif

Michelle
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.