Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ms. Lucy
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
Muffins
Hi Everyone:

Well, tomorrow at 5pm I'm bringing Ms. Lucy wub.gif in for a check-up. Our regular vet is on vacation so we will be meeting with the 'owner' vet of this group.

She needs to have her thyroid blood work done, because she is on Tapazole - 5mg in the AM. She will probably have a fructosamine level done because she is an insulin dependant diabetic.
Perhaps he will want to do a senior panel, if she does have to have dental surgery sad.gif .

She was diagnosed with diabetes in October, 2004 - and, if there is one thing I regret is that I didn't start testing her myself right at that time.
There are many "feline diabetes" groups out there who advocate hometesting, and it is something I do agree with.
Ms. Lucy wub.gif is my precious sweet girl, but.....she is in no way a lap cat.... She is very loveable in her own ways.... And, I have attempted testing her several times over the past year -- with no luck.

With regard to her teeth -- she doesn't have many left. On the upper left, she has one tooth.
She had both lower canines, but they broke off (right at the gum line!).

Again.......I think she will need to have the roots removed (unless the bone absorbed them, which can sometimes happen....).
When she yawns, I can see that her gum tissue is VERY red & looks quite irritated.

In all honesty, I think I booked this appointment MORE for her red & inflamed gingiva area.........
In my opinion, I think this could be really bothering her..... I'm not 100% sure. Her regular vet told me before that the root of the tooth can be VERY HARD to dig out - so, I guess I'm just very nervous. (so much for my having worked in the medical field rolleyes.gif ).

Both of our kids only eat canned and raw food, so she doesn't have to chew on hard kibble.

Have any of you been through this before?

Thank you all for listening.

Peace & Love,

Denise
Muffins
Hi Everyone:

Well, we're back from our appointment with the vet (Thank you God!). I'm sure that you all know.....there's nothing like coming home after an appointment.
Our vet is only about 9 miles away, but with my precious Lucy's wub.gif stress & asthma, it didn't take long before she started panting sad.gif .

He did some blood work - I'll get the results tomorrow. He didn't think that her lower gingiva area (where the canine roots are) was sensitive at all, but told me to watch for any swelling, especially in the lower right. (I was quite relieved to hear this smile.gif ).

I'm just happy to be home with my sweet girl, and our family is all together now biggrin.gif ...

Thanks for listening.

Peace & Love,

Denise
toonie
I'm just happy to be home with my sweet girl, and our family is all together now biggrin.gif ...

Bless you and your little family, you are great!
John B
Hi Denise,
I pray that all is well with Lucy. Your a good mommy! biggrin.gif

John B
Muffins
Hi Toonie & John!

Thank you both very much for your posts biggrin.gif . You are both VERY sweet! (Ms. Lucy wub.gif says "thank you", too.)

The vet called this morning & said that her thyroid level is fine and her kidneys are doing well..... (Thank You God! ). Her blood glucose (done @ 5:30pm) was 329, which he said was higher than it had been before, so he will do a fructosamine level.
Considering the car ride to the vet AND the visit with the vet (not to mention blood tests), I know that she was stressed out bigtime.....so that can increase her blood sugar level..... It will be interesting to see what # the fructosamine level comes back with.

We saw a different vet (since our usual vet is on vacation) & I thought he was very nice and very good with Lucy wub.gif . When we talked today, at the end of our conversation he said, "It was very nice to meet Lucy wub.gif ".

Well, it's just about past my bedtime....so,

Goodnight & God Bless You all,

Denise
LittleGirl'sMommy
You are SUCH an awesome Mommy!!! smile.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.