Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Little Oliver's Heart Stopped During Neutering!
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
oliver
My little Oliver's heart stopped during neutering ohmy.gif
My little Oliver is a 16 week old Cavachon (Bichon/Cavilier mix) we love him so much, he has been an absolute joy! I have never loved a puppy or dog more than Ollie. We took him in to get neutered on Tuesday. His heart stopped for almost 2 minutes! When they told my heart almost stopped! We saw him Tuesday afternoon, and he just had a constant robotic yip, then we saw him at 9:00 pm Tuesday night and the yip was gone, but it was a constant whimper. His eyes didn't respond to light! Wednesday he was just quiet, like a limp wash cloth. no sounds. his eyes do now respond to light, and he even tracks a little. He does not stay awake long when we visit, he can't stand up. The Vet has gotten him to eat a little, and drink from an eyedropper, and we were feeling better. Now today not much improvement, but not worse either. We will see him at 3:00CST. We are told he has some REM (rapid eye movement) going on. The vet says this is neither good or bad, just a neurological thing in recovery. I have done some searches and found a few similar stories where the puppy actually recovered after a few days. Does anyone have a story or words of encouragement, or any advice for us???? We are so torn up.
Oliver's daddy
mbrammer
I am so sorry to hear of Oliver's plight. What a terrible tragedy, you have my empathy. I know there is always a risk with anesthesia, but nobody expects the risk to be high in a healthy pup. I used to be a vet tech a long time ago, almost 20yrs, I didn't know that neuters were preformed at four months, it seems young. When I worked as a tech, it seemed like we recomended 7 to 9 months of age. It seems like alot is changing. Was the pup intibated when his heart stopped beating, did he recieve oxygen durring this time? I will hope for his recovery and our thoughts are with you.. Martha
Moose Mom
Oliver's daddy

Oh no, my heart goes out to you. Poor little Oliver. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers, please let us know what happens. I'm so sorry this is happening to all of you.

Thinking of you and Oliver.
Mo&Maisie'sMom
Poor Oliver. I am thinking of you and praying that he will recover completely. Please let us know how he's doing.
oliver
QUOTE (gillian @ Mar 2 2007, 09:12 AM)
One thing which concerns me is that an animal should be at least 6 months before he/she should be neutered or spayed. I work at a veterinary clinic, and we do not perform neutering or spaying until 6 months. There is no need anyway because at 16 weeks, your puppy wouldn't even have been mature enough to reproduce ... His genitals wouldn't be even remotely developed. However, I'm sorry this has happened. I hope he'll be OK.

Acutally the neutering process has been strongly recomended to be best done between 4 - 6 months, if after 6 months it may be too late. There are now many Vets doing them at 8 weeks, since they can get it done in just a minute , with little to no anesthesia. Beleive me I read and researched, The VAST majority are doing them between 4 and 6 months of age. The complication rate has been proven to be much lower at the 4 month age. The % of complications very slowly raise to the six month period and them spike up after 6 months.
oliver
Ok.. Update. There is good and bad to report. He has made baby step improvements every single day. We actually brought him home on Friday, but it ended up too early. He vomited all day Saturday, and we took him back to be put on the IV. I saw him today and he wagged his tail, licked me and was looking very concious. He moved his head around and we could see the "old Ollie" again. BUT...... He is still in a vomiting stage, and does so on and off. He has gone from weighing 9.5 lbs before the operation to now weighing 5.5 lbs. That is our worry, we need him to stop vomiting, and get over this part of the Cerebral Edema he suffered as a result of the Anesthesia. I will keep all you wonderful kind people updated! Thanks! smile.gif
oliver
I don't know where you are from, but we live very close to the most respected Vet Hospital in the Country. They are not teaching what you say. We have talked with 4 different Vets, talked to the Vet Teaching hospital, our respected breeder, and reseached the web before we did this. I couldn't find anyone except non-trained individuals that say what you say. Either you work for a very old shcool Vet, or you are just saying that. Nobody in the field agrees. And actually there are these inceidents at any age, it is not age related. The Tech started the aneshesia out too strong. And I take issue with you tring to lay guilt and blame on me. I have found some caring boards out there. This is my very last visit to this board!!! I don't need that, I thought I might get some words of encouragement and hope here. Thanks a lot!!! mad.gif mad.gif GONE......................... mad.gif
LS Support
this post has been closed. keep it kind please.

http://lightning-strike.com/forum/index.php?act=SR&f=5
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.