Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Gus Is Missing
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Lost or Missing Pet Support
MomofGus
My Gus has been missing for three weeks now and I'm losing hope of ever seeing him again.

Gus entered my life about a year ago as a stray kitten that hung around our house. He's a grey tabby and white cat with a white spot in the middle of his back, very similar to a grey and white cat I had as a child. I felt an instant bond with him. Partially because of his resemblence to my childhood cat, but also because I was in the midst of my grief for having to put my beloved 14-year-old golden retriever to sleep--she caught a respiratory infection that grew worse despite the best veterinary care. So Gus gave me something to focus and help me through my grief. It took a month or so before Gus trusted us enough to touch him, but once we gained his trust, he was a loyal and much loved family pet.

We have 9 other cats (all spayed and neutered) ranging in age from 2 to 12 (a lot of strays find their way to our house), but I had a special bond with Gus. It seems that everytime I have this type of bond with a cat, they leave my life too soon. I even told Gus that my love for him may end up being his downfall. I just wasn't expecting it to happen this soon.

Gus was an indoor/outdoor cat and I'm well aware that my heartache over his disappearance is the price I pay for allowing him his outdoor freedom. Even though he was an indoor/outdoor cat, once he adopted us, he never ventured away from our property. He never even ventured across the street. He never missed his meals and always slept indoors at night. I let him out the morning of July 11 and that was the last we saw of him.

We've put up posters throughout the neighborhood, at the local veterinary offices, and at local pet supply stores. We've knocked on doors and handed flyers to neighbors, put ads in the local papers, visited the local animal shelters, and still no Gus, not even a sighting. We've walked around the neighborhood at different times of the day calling his name.

Every morning after my shower, Gus would greet me at the bathroom door to cuddle and play. The mornings are probably the most difficult for me because that was our special time together.

I miss Gus terribly and the grief is overwhelming. Just a year ago, I was grieving for Comet, my golden retriever. Now I'm grieving for Gus.

For everyone else whose beloved pet is missing, I feel your pain and I hope you're reunited with you're missing loved one soon.

Cathy
LittleGirl'sMommy
Dear Cathy,

I'm so sorry! sad.gif I can only imagine your devastation and desperation.

On 3 separate occasions in my life, I have known cats (2 were childhood cats and 1 is a friend's cat) who disappeared for spans of time (one for 11 days, one for 25 days, and one for 6 weeks) and returned. In 2 of these cases, the cats had been stuck inside someone's shed or garage, and in the case of the garage, the neighbors used the garage every day but didn't know Mack was in there!!! (The night before his return, I prayed so hard for him that I thought my heart would break in the process. Somehow I could tell that my prayer was really being heard). So maybe if you spread the word about asking neighbors to specifically check inside enclosed spaces, that would help Gus's chances.

My heartfelt sympathies on the loss of Comet, and my heartfelt prayers for Gus's safe return!!!! I'll pray hard. Please keep us posted.

IF Gus has passed from his earthly body, he is with Comet and is free from any and all distress. And you'll be reunited when it's your time to pass. But I truly hope that you have much more time with precious Gus.

You are wonderful to take such loving care of so many animals. wub.gif

Bless you, and keep in touch!!!
Love,
Kathy
MomofGus
Thanks for the kind words and suggestions, Kathy. I really appreciate it. BTW, I like your name. wink.gif

A couple of years ago, one of our neighbors cats was in heat and this poor stray ginger tabby had battle wounds. It took several days of feeding him before he allowed us to touch him. Shortly afterwards, I nabbed him and brought him to the vet for neutering (we named him Julius--as in Orange Julius). After the neutering, I kept him inside for 24 hours (where he was terrified. He was very vocal and tried clawing his way outside). My friend who traps feral cats at her work to have them spayed and neutered told me she releases them the same day they’re released from the vets. .So I decided to let Julius outdoors (where he was more comfortable) and wished him the best. To my surprise, he came back for dinner.

To make a long story short, he stayed with us for about 6 months--eventually coming inside for a few hours a day. Then he disappeared. Because of his roaming nature, I was sure he was dead. Four months after he disappeared, my husband and I are driving home and there’s Julius casually walking up the street that crosses ours--he was just a few houses away from our street and more than likely crossed our street during his walk. I jumped out of the car and after a lot of coaxing, he finally came over to me. I then carried him home. The other cats still recognized him and Julius seemed happy to be back. Four months later, he disappeared again. We haven’t seen him since, but I’m sure he’s out there somewhere. In hindsight, I think he probably found another family during his four month absence--he looked well nourished and healthy. If he did belong to someone else, they probably wondered what happened to his tail. A couple of weeks before he left, he was treated for an abscess on his tail--so the center portion of his tail was shaved all the way around.

So when I get really down, I remember Julius’s story and it gives me some hope that Gus will return.

Hugs
Cathy
SJ J & S
What a wonderful story, they must be the only animal that can have its bread buttered on both sides biggrin.gif

Im praying for Gus's safe return.

Love Sue
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.