Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cat That Can't Eat
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
connor
My cat died two days ago and one of the most heartbreaking and confusing things was that he couldn't eat. I would give him some of his favourite foods and you could see that he wanted to eat it but as he approached it all he could do was sniff it. When I would eat something or go to the kitchen he would follow and look up, I knew he was hungry because I could hear his stomach but he just couldn't eat. When I started force feeding him with a syringe/tube he accepted for several days until the end when even that he just wouldn't swallow. The food just sat in his mouth until I put him down and he would just let it fall out. Does anyone know why this is? He was obviously hungry so why couldn't he eat?
Phinny1
I guess I'm confused as to why you did not take him to the vet? Why were your force feeding him when he had an obvious problem?
I'm not trying to be accusatory but this was obviously a situation for the vet and he may have saved his life.
connor
Well thanks for reinforcing my sense of guilt.
The vet was aware of his problem and was the one that gave me the feeding tube.
LS Support
i have a feeling it was just too painful for him to eat, even with the assisted- feeding apparatus.
Leighann
I have had two cats who have gotten hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) and they definately want to eat, but for some reason they would just stare at their food and not touch it. Once they are in the fatty liver stage, thats when you will need to force feed them - and mine sure put up a fight. Mine did spit out the food too, so I just shoved it further down. I am a little surprised that if your cat was doing that badly that your vet didn't put a feeding tube that fed right into the stomach to make it easier for you to get food down.
I am sorry for your loss.
Starry
I fed my dog raw meat and now she is dying from the parasite in it!
It's hard to know what to do in excess or let nature take it's course. Getting 2nd opinions take time and research, which you may have not had.
The outcome is what it is.
You did what you thought was right at that time.
They put a tube down my mother's throat bc she couldn't eat and she died anyway..
Emily's Mom
I am so sorry for your loss.He was very sick and sometimes there are things we just can't fix when it comes to our furbabies. I know you did all you could do for him so please just try to remember that you were lucky to have each other and he loved you unconditionally. He is at the Rainbow Bridge now and he is healthy, playing with the other furbabies and eating whatever and whenever he wants.

You're in my thoughts and prayers,
Emily's Mom
lovemytanjigirl
My very best friend of 12 years stopped eating for the most part about 1 week ago. I took her to the vet on Friday, and found out she hass a huge abdominal tumor, more than likely cancer, spreading through her beautiful soft body. She was always so healthy up until now. I feel your pain. Hang in there & don't feel guilty. We all do our best!
LoveMyMozee
I am so sorry as I read your post. My own cat has a condition called Stomat*itis, which is a chronic infection of the gums. He had all but three of his teeth pulled last year, and he seemed to recover. Now, about six weeks ago he stopped eating again. More examination showed that the remaining teeth were severely infected along with some of the deep roots which had not been removed previously. So we went through another surgery, antibiotics, etc., and he ate for about a week. More antibiotics... making him sick and afraid to even approach the kitchen. He has not eaten now for ten days with the exception of about a half-teaspoon of baby food. My heart is breaking, knowing that tomorrow he goes in again for another checkup, and I know I will have to do the right thing. Chronic infections quickly affect the liver, I'm told. But I love him so much... he has been my only companion for so long. I have had three cats in my life, all living to age 14. It was hard to let them go when the time came, but this... this is more than I can bear with my Mozee. He is only 8 and had a rough first couple of years... a rescue cat. I can only remember the words of my ex, who got me through this the last time. He said, "He had a good run". And when I held my beloved Sam as he went to sleep for the last time, I whispered "Mommy loves you. Run to the meadow now". I don't know whether that helped him or me more, but I will say those words again, probably tomorrow morning. My comfort to all of you who face this. All we can do is the right thing, knowing that we gave them the best. Please pray for me tonight.
AlleysMama
connor

I'm so sorry for your loss. Did the vet say if your kitty had a disease or certain problem, or was it an unknown illness? I know that you did everything you could for him. Sometimes, you can do everything right, and it just isn't enough. Sometimes, they are just ready to pass on, no matter how much we wish they would stay with us.

Your kitty knows how much you love him, and he is healthy and happy now, free from pain and whatever was causing him so much trouble.

I am here for you, whenver you would like to talk about him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.