Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Baby Is Gone
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Lost or Missing Pet Support
Shelley
Last Sat. midnight my beloved cat, Delyte, ran off my deck to the woods behind my trailer. I sat out all night and at dawn he came out again--only to see me and run back into the woods. We have not seen him again.

He was operated on two months ago for a colon condition, and had to eat every twelve hours or his colon would close up. In addition, he did not have all of his teeth any more. So we don't think he can eat anything out there, and is probably already dead or dying in terrible agony.

I am handicapped and am not able to search the area, but it is several square miles of mostly wooded territory with all kinds of wildlife. We put out two baited traps but we have only caught wild animals.

He was a very shy scaredy cat and there isn't any way he will let anyone near him. I've informed the animal control but they said there is no chance of them encountering him, as they do not come out here.

It is all my fault to have taken him out. There was a thunderstorm coming and he became frightened, and then there were some loose dogs. They didn't chase him but he was so terrified of dogs. He loved being out on the deck and would cry pitifully to go out every night, but I am the adult and I should have known not to let him out. I thought he would come back eventually but I now realize that he must have died by now, if not killed by an animal.

The worst is that he ran from me even when he was crying for me to help him. I don't feel like I can ever have another pet again. I am too stupid to be trusted with them.

Plus I thought he loved and trusted me, and to have him run like that. I feel like I can never trust another animal again, especially a cat. I feel as if I have been his jailer all these years instead of his dear companion.

For the first time in twenty years I have no pets and it is so lonely. I was so close to him during the month of nursing him, and so proud that I pulled him through when the vet said that he would surely die. I could have lived through him dying from the illness but to starve to death outside because of my stupidity is too much to bear.
----Shelley
Shelley
HE CAME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Half an hour ago I heard a noise on the porch and this time I managed to lure him in. He is terribly thin and was starving, but purred unbelievably. He has lost a lot of weight and is infested with fleas. But at least now if he does not make it, I will be with him. It will be so much better.

I can't believe how brave such a scaredy cat turned out to be. I always knew he was smart, but not brave.

Thank you all for this forum, and for all the help you give to people like me!!

----Shelley
bubbagirl
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif Oh what a HAPPY ending for you both. I am so releived that your cat came back to you alive!

TAKE care of that critter and give lots of hugs from me and for Bubba............
LittleGirl'sMommy
OMG Shelley!! I just found your post (sometimes I forget to check this category, for Lost and Missing). First, my heart was breaking, when I read your first one. sad.gif Then I read your 2nd one and I was SO relieved! wub.gif wub.gif

Please update us on how he's doing. smile.gif

And you weren't stupid. You were trying to bring him extra joy by bringing him out on the porch. Your intentions were good. smile.gif smile.gif

I can only imagine the complete agony and distress you were in while he was gone!!!

I am so happy for you that he is back. Can hardly wait to hear how everything is!

Love,

Kathy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.