Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Our Little Princess "prissy"
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Death and Dying Pet Support
mswells
It has been 2 weeks since my 12 year old dog "Prissy", a Pomeranian-Schipperke, went to the Rainbow Bridge on 4/23/17. I am still
very depressed, and numb. She was with me 24/7, as I work from Home also. We had quite the routine,
and now there is a great emptiness....even though we still have 2 cats and a cockatiel bird.
She was my High Maintenance Princess. She had Stomach Issues...IBD, and a blood Cyst on her chest that kept opening
up within the pas few months. Her medications consisted of: Omeprazole, Famotidine, Sucralfate, Metronidazole, Metoclopramide
syrup, and Cerenia. She was also on a specialized diet of Hills Canned ZD Dog Food. I wonder though, if having her on
all those Meds could have done more damage to her stomach or other organs. She had chronic bouts of IBD symptoms
that increased as the older she got. She would not eat anything for days, and would have chronic vomiting. She had been
to the vet a few times where they would keep her a couple days to rehydrate, and get her to eat again, and she would
be fine for a long while...then back it would come....only this time was real bad, and she was extremely lethargic, and would just stand over her water dish, in
a kind of a daze for 30 minutes or so at a time. We took her to the vet, and since her quality of life was not good now, and she was in pain, it was
decided to let her go to The Rainbow Bridge. I also wonder if the big blood cyst could have been the problem...or was it the IBD, in the end.
The cyst was never biopsied or removed, as the vet felt that at her age it could be risky, and it was not hurting her or getting in the way.
I just feel so Depressed, and numb from the events of the last 2 weeks....even though I god to hold her in my arms while the vet was assisting
in her travels to the Rainbow Bridge.
I am now creating a Memorial Garden in the backyard for her headstone.....even though her remains will stay on a devoted mantle, in the bedroom,
next to my other dog Emilio, who passed away in 2005.

Michael.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

moon_beam
Hi, Michael, please permit me to offer you my sincerest sympathies in the physical loss of your beloved Prissy. Losing a companion is never easy regardless of the circumstances or how long we are blessed with the privilege of their company. Euthanasia is the last gift of love we can give to our companions at great sacrifice to ourselves so that they can be restored to their former youthfulness in the company of the angels.

Michael, this grief journey is one of the most painful experiences you will know on this side of eternity. It is a journey that is filled with many different emotions that can overwhelm us all at one time which is why it is frequently referred to as a horror roller coaster ride. One of the many emotions we all experiences is guilt / remorse for this comes from looking back and trying to reconcile all the whys, what ifs, and if onlys that haunt and torture our hearts when we are so emotionally vulnerable. From what you share with us there is no doubt that you did everything in your human and humane power to give your beloved Prissy a happy and healthy earthly journey. I hope in time you will be able to find a peace in your heart that your beloved Prissy knows that you love her and that your decision to release her sweet Living Spirit from her failing, frail physical body is a decision that you made from the deepest love you have for her - - you put her needs above yours especially at a time when your heart was breaking under the burden of deepest sorrow.

This is what love is, Michael. And the good news in the midst of all this pain is that the love bond you and your beloved Prissy share is eternal - - it is not restricted by the physical laws of time and space. Your beloved Prissy's sweet Living Spirit is always and forever a part of your heart and memories - - she is always and forever a heartbeat close to you.

Many years ago I had a canine companion who also suffered with IBD for most of his life, and it was a combination of the IBD and kidney failure that finally led me to making the decision to release his sweet Living Spirit from his rapidly failing physical body. So I do understand what you're feeling, Michael.

I know so very well from first hand experience that when our hearts are entrenched in deep sorrow there are no adequate words in any language that can soothe the searing pain of sorrow. Still I hope the words I share with you will offer you some measure of comfort, support, encouragement, and hope as you travel your grief adjustment journey.

Thank you so much for honoring us in sharing your beloved Prissy with us, and these wonderful pictures of your beautiful girl. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, Michael, and please let us know how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
John53
So Sorry Michael at your recent loss with your darling little Prissy. I know no words can heal your sorrow, I lost my cat Skippy yesterday he was 16 and died as I tried to get him in the pet carrier to take him to the vets.
You did all you could for Prissy and more,she will know what you did for her was through Love and she will be forever in your Heart.
Be strong,take 1 day at a time,it will get easier,remember all the happy days you spent together and don't forget this is not the end you will be together again for eternity after you have crossed Rainbow Bridge.
Good Luck Michael
Best Wishes
John
mswells
Well, last Sunday marked one month since my little Prissy went to the bridge....and I still feel depressed and lonely,
and now am at a point questioning if I should have tried something different to prolong her life a little more. She
was 12, and had IBD, and a big blood cyst on her chest. The vet said she was in pain while she was
experiencing her last bout of IBD, was extremely lethargic from not eating.
Is it normal for me to question what I did at the one month mark ? I just feel guilt in me now !
moon_beam
Hi, Michael, thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing. Indeed, the grief emotions of guilt / remorse can haunt our hearts and minds for quite awhile in the grief adjustment journey. Please let me try to reassure you that what you are feeling is very normal deep grief but hopefully in time you will be able to find a peace in your heart that you did the very best for your beloved Prissy, and she is eternally grateful to you for loving her and putting her needs first above your personal wants, especially at a time when your heart began breaking under the most unbearable sorrow you will know on this side of eternity.

One of the many important things for you to remember is that you are not alone in your grief adjustment journey. We are here for you for as long and as often as you need us.

Thank you again, Michael, for letting us know how you're doing. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
LittleGirl'sMommy
Hi Michael,

My sincere sympathies on the physical loss of your sweet Prissy!

I completely agree with moon_beam's assurance to you about "Love." wub.gif And there is no question that Prissy knew, and knows, how much you love her.

It is natural to question ourselves about every little thing. Regrets/questions/even guilt are part of grief. We become so desperate to have our babies back in our arms that it feels almost unbearable, and we replay a lot of things and question whether we could have done more.

I really like the sounds of your Memorial Garden. Would like to see pictures! And speaking of pics, your Prissy is beautiful. wub.gif

I hope you check back in,
Kathy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.