Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sad
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Death and Dying Pet Support
BabyHenry
Yesterday, my beautiful sweet cat friend Pumpkin died yesterday morning. She was with me for 14 years, my best girl pal from even before I was married. She was sick this weekend, and we had time to take her to the animal hospital, where she stayed in intensive care for 2 days before dying there, without me. We still don’t know what was wrong with her – it may have been heart disease or sudden kidney failure. I went to visit her on Sunday and the doctor said she was doing better, so I went home hopeful, which made the call on Monday morning all the worse. I’m so sad that I did not stay longer on Sunday – I would have stayed all night if I had know there was no more time left. I would have brought her brush to brush her and a towel from our house for her to sleep with so at least she could smell home. I’m really really sad, almost in physical pain.

I went to see her yesterday morning after the vet called. She was wrapped up in a towel and did not look like herself. I know she was not present in her body anymore, but it was still SO hard to give her up.

So, sorry I have nothing uplifting to say. I just feel bad right now, and am writing in hopes it makes me feel a tiny bit better.

Miss you and love you Pumpkin.
LittleGirl'sMommy
Hi Pumpkin and Henry's Mom,

I'm so very sorry about the physical loss of your precious Pumpkin!!

She was very lucky to have had your love for 14 years while still in her physical state. She and Henry will continue to be with you, but I know it is so heartbreaking to not be able to see and hold them. sad.gif (When eventually it is your time to pass on, you will be fully reunited. In the meantime, they are just fine and want you to be as well.)

I can just imagine your shock at the call from the vet on Monday. It's hard to grasp that things can happen so drastically. I have been in your shoes a few times, and the grief and shock are almost too much---the worst feelings possible. Pumpkin doesn't want you feeling any guilt for not being there when she passed. There's no way you could have imagined that she would not make it. She knew, and knows, how much you wanted her to get well, and how very much you love her!

Is your family/husband supportive? I know we were concerned when you lost Henry that you didn't seem to have a lot of support. We are here for you always, so please keep in close touch and let us know how you are doing.

Thinking of you tonight!
Warmth and understanding and prayers being sent your way, and I hope to hear from you soon,

Kathy
moon_beam
Hi, Henry's and Pumpkin's Mom, please permit me to add my sincerest sympathies in the physical loss of your beloved Pumpkin. Losing a companion is never easy regardless of the circumstances or how long we are blessed with the privilege of their company. It doesn't matter if the grief journey is our first or our thousandth - - each grief journey is uniquely painful to endure.

I can truly understand how shattered your heart is when you share with us: "I’m so sad that I did not stay longer on Sunday – I would have stayed all night if I had know there was no more time left. I would have brought her brush to brush her and a towel from our house for her to sleep with so at least she could smell home." "If only" -- the two words that haunt and torture our hearts and minds when we are immersed in deep grief. Your beloved Pumpkin knows you love her and would do everything in your power to comfort her, to try to make her better. Sadly, though, sometimes the only way this can be done is for our beloved companion to transition from this earthly realm so that they can be restored to their former youthfulness in the company of the angels. Your visit with your beloved Pumpkin before she made this transition reaffirmed your love for her which she now holds in her heart as she patiently waits for your appropriate time to join her in eternal joy. Until then, you are blessed with the privilege to be her sole, and soul, heir to her eternal love to cherish as you continue your earthly journey. No amount of time can ever diminish the eternal love bond you and your beloved Pumpkin share.

Thank you so much for honoring us in sharing your beloved Pumpkin with us. Perhaps sometime you will feel up to sharing a picture of her with us - - but only if / when you want to. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Catawampus
Hi BabyHenry,

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Words cannot express how deeply saddened I am to hear about your Pumpkin. My heart hurt reading your story. I know all too well about wanting more time or wishing we'd done something differently. The pain is a physical one as you said. It's deep and limitless and debilitating. I also know how it is to see them bundled in a towel, knowing they have moved on and the grief in that moment is indescribable. Like a piece of us is suddenly, instantly missing.

Take comfort in knowing that Pumpkin had a long, wonderful life and that she loved you as much as you loved her. I try to tell myself that about my dear, sweet Fiona when the sadness is getting the better of me.

I hope the days since your post have gotten a little easier. Please know that my thoughts and heart are with you during this time of loss. And thank you for sharing your story and for your kind words about my Fiona.

I would love to see a photo of Pumpkin if you feel up to it.

Take care,
John

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.