Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To My Dear Bunny
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Death and Dying Pet Support
bunbunmom
Dear Bunny,
You go to bunny heaven now, go play with you bunny friends. You were 11 some years old, that must be 90+ in human years. There were so many things wrong with you and yet you manage to stay alive. I can't believe you got up 2 weeks after your head tilt. Remember to tune down your attitude! Don't worried about me, Mama will be fine. I actually feel really relief like a hugh weight has been off my shoulder. I read online how this bunny die a horrible death because of a condition and I tell myself that I have made the right decision. You have fun now and go play!
moon_beam
Hi, Bunny's Mom, please permit me to offer you my sincerest sympathies in the phyiscal loss of your beloved Bunny. Losing a companion is never easy regardless of the circumstances or how long we are blessed with the privilege of their company. Euthanasia is the last gift of love we can give to our companions at great sacrifice to ourselves so that they can be restored to their former youthfulness in the company of the angels.

When we see our companion's health decline, especially when there is a chronic illness or the result of injury, it can be a relief to our hearts and minds when they transition home to the angels. Still, there is the adjustment to their physical absence which is not easy both emotionally and physically. Please know we are here for you to share whatever is in your heart and on your mind as you travel your grief adjustment journey.

Even though your beloved Bunny is no longer physically with you, there is one thing that never changes - - the love bond you and your beloved Bunny share. Love is eternal - - it is not restricted to the physical laws of time and space. Your beloved Bunny's sweet Living Spirit is always and forever a part of your heart and memories - - always a heartbeat close to you.

I know so well from first hand experience that when our hearts are in deep sorrow there are no adequate words in any language that can soothe the searing pain of sorrow. Still I hope the words I share with you will offer you some measure of comfort, support, encouragement, and hope as you travel your grief adjustment journey.

Thank you so much for honoring us in sharing your beloved Bunny with us. Perhaps sometime you would like to share a picture - - but only when / if you want to. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, Bunny's Mom, and please let us know how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
bunbunmom
Thank you for your kind words, moon_beam. I think about him everyday. I am very lucky in that I had 2 months to think about my decision and 1 week to say goodbye to him. I no longer cry when I look at his items but still cannot look at his pictures. I still keep his bed by the sofa. My daughter said she is no longer crying when she look at his bed. I thought about putting the bed in storage but then thinking, "If he comes to visit, then he will have no place to sleep." Maybe I'll do it next week.

He was a very tough bunny, for 3 years, he had kidney stones, bladder stones, head tilt which he recovered. He was also blind with cataracts and limping on 3 legs. The vet said there were nothing wrong with his legs other than arthritis, so who knows? It could be balancing issue or brain cancer/abscess which both the ER vet and my regular vet suspected. We never did find out the cause on the head tilt because he was too old to go through a MRI. I noticed he began to refuse his syringe feed half of the time. When rabbits do not have enough hay in their system, their gut shuts down, which is life threatening. The last thing was his liver. The vet gave me narcotics for his pain and we tried that for a month, I didn't notice a difference.

Sometimes I think maybe I did it too soon, but his organs were failing and he was in alot of pain. I think about him all the time, I would be at work and I find myself staring at the computer screen and my mind went somewhere else for a long time. I might have another pet in the future but right now, I just cannot give another 10+ year commitment. I miss him terribly. I guess I just need some time.
Monique
hi,

your post immediately caught my eye as i am a huge bunny lover. i just adopted a little one, yogi, from a local city animal shelter. i posted about her on my blog. i have been blessed with many bunny companions over the years, mostly rescues and including advanced rehabilitation. one of my most amazing bun-buns was kelsey, a cottontail, who i saved from a dog attack in which his entire family perished. he was so tiny he could fit in a chicken egg. i transitioning him from mother's milk, then to milk replacement and then to solid food. he championed through all these phases, which was truly a miracle as the mortality rate of hand raising from that young is extremely high. i snuck him into work every day. i had him in a little basket with all the creature comforts he needed. i would hold him against my chest because the vibrations of the moving car were too much for him. he would groom himself the whole way. i would syringe feed him 1cc every other hour and then help him use the bathroom. his first little doodles were the size of the tiniest pepper corn imaginable. i would sneak him into the mail room every day to weigh him. first weigh the wash cloth he snuggled in, then the two together. the day he reached 3 ounces was a celebration!

he was never able to hop or fully sit up. i believe a bite to his shoulder caused permanent neurological damage. he learned to move quite efficiently, how to drink from a water bottle, eat pellets. he loved he fresh greens every day. he had many friends at home, cats like my heath who would snuggle with him when i was cleaning his habitat. he lived in a towel lined habitat for traction and comfort.

he started having intestinal issues. it was start and go for quite some time, and then one night he went to sleep and never woke up. he honored me with his love for 3 years. that was in 2007 when he went to be with God and i miss him still.

people criticized me for keeping him alive. he thrived! he loved being with me and would lick my cheek.

i had a bunny who suffered from head tilt. she only lived about a year after i found her collapsed in her habitat, unable to get up. there is no known cause for head tilt. could have been an inner ear infection or something congenital. i treated the symptoms and taught her how to manage her disability. she actually became quite coordinated and sometimes i would find her with her head in the correct position. my sabine. i miss her!

i'm very sorry for your loss. 11 years is very, very senior for a bunny. he was lucky to have you for his mom. this is a good place to visit. all of us are experiencing the pain of the loss of a furred or feathered. even if people do not post to your blog, they visit and you are in truly empathic company. moon_beam is always there with tremendous love and support.

i wish you kindness in your healing journey.
Gretta's Mom
Dear BunBunMom,

My heart is with you in the heaven-going of your little BunBun. I've never had a bunny but I have held plenty of them and they are the softest, sweetest creatures alive. BunBun was one lucky bunny having you for a mom. Now he is well, happy, young again and pain free. Playing with all the zillion other bunnies in the Perfect World. Maybe he'll meet my two dogs up there - Gretta - the kindest chocolate lab who ever lives- and Rufus - the goofy giant. Here's a hug for you to comfort you heart just a tiny bit.

Gretta and Rufus's mom
moon_beam
Hi, Bunny's Mom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your daughter are doing. Some people find it easier during their grief adjustment journey to put all of their beloved companion's belongings away so that they are not constant visual reminders of their beloved companion's physical absence. Like you, I find it comforting to have things that belong to my beloved companions where I can see them. There is no need to rush into putting things away. I have a life size stuffed toy Black Lab who wears my beloved Oslo's seatbelt / walking harness with his ID tags along with some of his other toys out where I can see them. He joined the angels November 29, 2009. It is important that you do for YOU what is comforting for YOU as you travel your grief adjustment journey.

There is also no need to rush in making a decision about embracing another companion into your heart and home. Some people find it comforting to adopt another companion quickly, while others need to wait until their deep grief eases, and some people never adopt another companion for various reasons. Whatever you decide your beloved Bunny's sweet Living Spirit is always with you. And if you do decide at some point in time that you are ready to embrace another companion into your heart and home, rest assured that your beloved Bunny will be guiding your path to that moment in time when you will know it is the right "match."

I hope today is treating you and your daughter kindly, and that you will have peaceful evenings blessed with your beloved Bunny's sweet Living Spirit to comfort you. Please know you and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.