Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kimba May Not Work Out
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
Steph
Oh this is so awful.

Kimba (my foster golden) may have some serious health issues, and my finances just CANNOT cover two sick dogs.

The plan was to officially adopt her in early December. I was just getting her checked out for routine tests, and now the vet called and said that something is wrong and more tests are needed.

Kimba's story:

My friend Miriam is Kimba's foster mum. KImba's owner is a doctor who rescued her when he chanced upon her about ten months ago. She was being kept in a small pen in the back of someone's yard, sitting in her own urine and feces. her skin was ulcered down to the bone on her elboes, that's how bad it was.

Anyways, Miriam heard about Kimba shortly after my Luba died last summer. She knew that my other dog, Falkor was lonely, and that he might really like to have a female golden come and join him. First I was hesitant, but then I decided to give it a go.
Besides her issues of neglect, there were no health problems with kimba. She's only 3 and a half, so I figured she'd be ok.

My story: I became partially disabled after a work accident a few years ago. I get by on my finances by working a p/t job, and have found a place that's low rent. Luba's vet bill set me back a pretty penny, but at the same time, Falkor needed to go on four kinds of medication. He's responded very well, but he'll need to be on it for the rest of his life.

I can afford to take Kimba if she has something that's not too expensive, but I can't risk taking on another full-blown sickie, because it could mean that I don't have money for Falkor's meds in the future. I'm sorry, but this really SUCKS.

Kimba and I have really bonded.

I'm asking everyone on this board who reads this to send us some positive thoughts. Maybe the problem won't be so bad....
Ann H
Oh Steph I am so sorry to hear that things are not going well. Did the vet say what could be wrong and what kind of tests they need to run? You have done the best you can and maybe this will not be a life long thing that is wrong with Kimba. Yet if there is you must try not to feel guilty. We all do the best we can and it is wonderful how much love you have given her. I'm sorry I don't have a better way with words but maybe those who do can give you much more comfort.
Ann
Steph
No, I don't know what they are testing for. I didn't actually take the call - they phoned Miriam, (Kimba's foster mum), who was out, and left a message on her phone. All they said is that they need to run more tests.

I hope she'll be ok.....I wish I had more money so I could help her more. However, Falkor will need any extra cash that I have...
Muffins
Hi Steph:

I just wanted to write and say that "I hear you"....
Really, I do.............

Not long ago, I don't know on what site I "read about it", but it seems that there is "some help available
for people who own a sick pet"......
I guess it's for "indigent patients, whose animals are ill, and they really have no means to pay".....

We are going to bring Lucy to the vet's tomorrow evening, and I will surely see if they know of anything..

It is expensive..........I know.........Ms. Lucy has diabetes and asthma............though, her medications aren't
that costly..........it's very, very tough to give her the meds........and that, in itself, breaks my heart....

Also, Mr. Yoster has developed a little tooth/gum problem, which we need to get taken care of soon....

Believe me Steph, if I had any extra money, you would get it, because I know that you've already bonded
with Kimba and Falkor probably enjoys having a companion around.
My heart hurts for you....

Somehow.............someway...........they ALWAYS SAY THAT "THERE'S A WAY"!!!!!

You're in my thoughts and prayers, my friend!!!! wub.gif

Love, Denise
BabyHannahsMom
Oh geez, Steph -- I am so sad to hear about this. A couple of ideas -- What Denise suggested, I heard about this from somewhere also. I'll see what I can find out from some of the animals groups I've been working with. Also, what about the doctor? Do you think he would help? He's not the one who kept her in the pen in that deplorable condition, is he?

Let us know when you find out more about Kimba's condition. I'll see what I can find out about financial help.
Love,
Marcia
Steph
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.

Marcia, the doctor was not the one who neglected poor Kimba. He was the one who rescued her. He heard about her from someone at work, and went to check out the situation.

Kimba is not doing so hot. Miriam, her foster mum wouldn't let her come over. She was supposed to spend a whole week here, and, depending on how she's doing, maybe stay on. However, she's just too uncomfortable right now, and needs to be where she is most relaxed. That's Miriam's place at the moment. I went over to visit her, and took her out for a little walk.

She's quite lethargic, her skin is getting really itchy and scaley, she's scratching it non-stop, she's peeing a lot, and she has a HUGE hematoma in her right ear. I feel so badly for her, but I'm glad that there are people besides me who are going to help her. Miriam's doctor friend will be coming to see kImba later this week (he lives out of town), and hopefully we'll have the blood test results later this week. Also, maybe they can get that hematoma treated.

My poor little "foster Kimba"! My Falkor, who has arthritis, and is quite slow, was friskier than she was today.
Steph
Regarding getting financial help from an outside source: I'm not sure that works with a dog that you are thinking of adopting, from what I heard, it's only if it's a pet that you already own. I'll look around though.

For now her "doctor owner" is paying for her tests and treatments.
Kathleen032
I'm so sorry to here about Kimba. She's such a beautiful, sweet dog.

When I was trying to pay for all of Shiloh's chemo-therapy, many of my friends cleaned out their garages and donated stuff for a "multi-family help pay for Shiloh's chemo garage sale." People came and bought stuff at the sale, and some people just made donations. Maybe you could do something like that.

Best of luck with sweet Kimba. Keep us posted
Kathleen
ChrissyW
Stephanie,
I know this is a hard time but in your situation you may be able to get help for Kimba. I don't know who the owner technically has to be but I found some sites that would help if you meet their critiria(sp?). I emailed bestfriends and they gave me a huge list of places to visit to see if I met that critiria for Max. You are a little luckier than I . . . the vet I had wanted to observe Max over a few weeks and didn't prescribe a medication for him and he cesured again. I couldn't keep him due to he got very defensive toward my other resident dog and my husband. Luckily my children were not home. I was on the phone all morning with the end result being that no one could help me and I ended up for my childrens sake taking him back to the shelter. That was the most gut wrenching thing I had to do in my life. I don't want to know what happened to him it is too hard to think about it. I wanted the best for him and I know you want the best for Kimba. I will find my paper or copy my email from bestfriends and send it to you. I hope that everything works out for you and Kimba she sounds as if she is fitting right into your little family. You and your Kimba and furbabies are in my thoughts.
ChrissyW
Steph
Unfortunately, Kimba is back at Miriam's (foster mum). The poor girl is pacing and scratching and really kind of grumpy. She'll probably need surgery on her ear, and will be starting on meds for her thyroid.

Falkor is not physically up having Kimba there when she is that unwell. In addition to his arthritis and hypothyroid, he has epilepsy and needs his rest. Also, Kimba is the most relaxed with Miriam because she's into the routine and has been there the longest. I'm going over there to visit her this evening.

I hope she'll be ok.
TrishB68
Dear Steph,

Oh Gosh, My heart certainly goes out to you and your babies. I am so sorry to hear of all the pain all 3 of you are going through right now. I can totally relate to the finacial part of illness, I'm sure you remember my position with Sparky. I'm sorry that I didn't write sooner , right when I saw your post, I have been battleing my demons here with my thoughts of needing to be with my Sparky and knowing that I need to be here with my children. I hope that everything works out well for the 3 of you. I don't believe that people can be put through so much extreme pain and be asked to keep living as usual. God watches over his angels and all our furbabies are his angels. Kepp the faith and remember that you will be in our prayers.

Sincerely, Trish
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.