Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Zoey
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
Julia
My beautiful dog was just diagnosed with hemagiosarcoma, cancer of the spleen, last week. This is her 2nd bout with cancer but this one is probably her last battle. One day she was a happy old dog, 13 1/2, and then during a walk she couldn't keep her balance and kept falling. Rushing her to the vet they found a large abdominal mass. It hadn't been felt 4 months ago and now is the size of a grapefruit.

The vet would like to do an exploratory lap on her to see if the cancer has spread, on the xrays it looks like the liver may be involved and possible take out the spleen. It won't save her life and may not even buy her much time. We are leaning toward just keeping her home as long as she is happy and eating, still pain free and taking it from there. I just can't make up my mind. She is the world to us. It the spleen ruptures she could have a painful death which we don't want. This is just so sad.

As a pet owner we all know this time will come but how did the years fly by so fast? It seems like she was a puppy just yesterday.

Today the grandchildren wrote letters about what they liked about Zoey and what she did to make them happy. When the time comes we are going to release a nationality lantern with the letters in them and fly them to the Rainbow bridge to be their for Zoey.

We don't know how long we have and aren't sure yet what path we will take. For now..........lots of hugs and treats. She is happy she is finally off her diet. I hate to think what the next few weeks will bring.
moon_beam
Hi, Julia, please permit me to offer you my sincerest condolences in the heartbreaking cancer diagnosis of your precious Zoey. Anticipatory Grief is a very difficult journey all by itself because we still have the physical presence of our precious companion with us, and our hearts continue to hold onto the hope that a miracle can happen.

Unfortunately, our companion's physical bodies are identical to ours - - they are not designed for immortality on this side of eternity. I do know how your heart is breaking when you share with us: "As a pet owner we all know this time will come but how did the years fly by so fast? It seems like she was a puppy just yesterday." It doesn't matter how much time we have with our companions during their earthly journey, for we will always want just one more minute, one more hour, one more day, one more lifetime with them.

Whatever you decide about surgery to remove the spleen will be the RIGHT one for your precious Zoey. The most important thing for you to do is to share as much quality time with your precious Zoey - - as this is also what she wants - - to spend as much quality time with you and her family. And it is vitally important that you know you are not alone during this Anticipatory Grief journey. Each of us here do understand what you are going through, and we are here for you for as long and as often as you need us.

Thank you so much for sharing your precious Zoey with us, Julia. She is so pretty. My beloved Oslo, - - a handsome Black Lab and quite the "genteel ladies' man" - - will greet her and welcome her to heaven's perfect garden at her appropriate time and introduce her to all of heaven's residents.

Please know you, your precious Zoey, and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, Julia, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Julia
As I continue to search and look for answers I found this wonderful site. I think it will help me make the decision wisely when the time comes and is comforting to know. I thought I would share if I can figure out how to link.

Natures Corner

Well. harder to link then I thought but hopefully someone can fix it.
moon_beam
Hi, Julia, just stopping by to say hello and to check on how you and your precious Zoey are doing. I hope today is treating you both kindly. Please know you, your precious Zoey, and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, Julia, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Julia
Zoey is still hanging in there. She has lost so much weight she is skin and bones, what a difference 3 weeks has made. But she is eating like a horse and still begging for treats. We take slow walks around the yard and she still loves her petting. The time is getting real close but we are getting closer to acceptance.
moon_beam
Hi, Julia, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Zoey are doing. It sounds like she is doing well under the circumstances. Please know you and your precious Zoey are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I look forward to knowing how you both are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Julia
We lost our beloved Zoey today. It is crushingly difficult to deal with. I know she is pain free and went to the rainbow bridge where there will be thousands of new smells for her to smell.
moon_beam
Hi, Julia, please permit me to offer you my sincerest sympathies in the physical loss of your beloved Zoey. You and Zoey fought the good fight together, and now you are faced with the incredibly pain task of rebuilding your daily routines that no longer include the physical needs of your beloved Zoey. Even though you know she is now restored to her former youthfulness in the company of the angels, your heart still needs the time to grieve your beloved Zoey's physical absence. Please know you are not alone in your grief journey, Julia. I know there are no adequate words in any language that can soothe the seering pain of sorrow that is in your heart, but I hope you know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I look forward to knowing how you're doing.

Peace and blessing,
moon_beam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.