Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Want To Share
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
Mistletoe
I just feel the need to unburden myself and this site always helps.

We rescued a Calico kitty about 5 or 6 years ago. She hung around the radio station where my husband worked as the “news guy” One day he just decided to bring her home where she would be safe and sound because she was basically an outside cat. She aquired the name News because she hung around with the news guys. When she came to live here we tacked Miss in front of it—it seemed more lady-like!!!

Took to the vet’s yesterday because she was not herself---she was diagnosed with fluid in her chest that’s why she was having labored breathing---not eating or drinking.

She was drained and they got about 200cc from her, which is quite a bit for her size. She was doing fine when I brought her home yesterday---but she is not so good today—I was waiting for the vet to call me to let me know the results from the fluid.

It seems she’s got cancer cells in there—likely lymphoma. He says it can be genetic.

I am going to take her in tomorrow morning so he can see if it’s building back up again—drain her and start her on prednisone—hoping it will give her some ease for awhile. She really is not in the shape that she has to be put down yet---when the time comes it will be done---but I would like to keep her around for a little while so I can spoil her rotten!!! She deserves it!!!

So please—keep your fingers crossed ---that I can have her for a little while longer.

Thanks sleep.gif
DannysMom
Mistletoe, I am so sorry to hear about Miss News. I lost my precious calico cat, Tina, due to cancer in her lungs just two months ago. My vet also said that it was genetic. She did not have fluid in her lungs, but she had scarring on her lungs, and on the x-ray there was "scatter" all over her lungs. They put Tina on dep-medrol (a steroid) to help give her some quality of life, but she was gone within 2 months of being diagnosed. I do hope there is more they can due for your precious Miss News. I LOVE calico cats. These girls are very special; they get so attached to their human. Maybe some holistic treatment or even chemotherapy could help. Make sure you explore all options.

Hugs,
DannysMom
moon_beam
Hi,Mistletoe, please permit me to add my sincerest condolences in the cancer diagnosis of your precious Miss News. I, too, hope and pray your veterinary practitioner will be able to offer you and your precious Miss News a good quality of life during her transition journey home to the angels. Please know you and your precious Miss News are in my thoughts and prayers, Mistletoe, and please do let us know how you both are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Mistletoe
I took her in this morning and they took another 125cc out. Was going to give prednisone but decided on the medrol in hopes they could keep a lymph node from producing the fluid. I need to take her back in a month, if she is still reasonably well for another injection. He showed me her x-rays and showed me which node it was.

I can't say enough about this vet clinic I used--It's called Pt St John Veterinary Hospital here in Pt St John, Fl. They are always so good and supporting in good and bad times. They give you all the options so you can make a choice. All the vets are great—but my favorite is Dr. Stevens—he is sincere in his feelings for you---Hugs when needed---
He wants me to call him on Fri to give him an update---and I am to bring her in Sat morning so he can check her out---

She is more comfortable tonite---if the medication is working I will be able to tell over the next few days----I hope shell do well so I can have her around for a few more months.
I will feel bad—but unlike Mopi my last cat---who unexpectedly died from the same thing--I will be ready for her and will be able to spend time with her and show her how much she is loved----

I will send a picture as soon as I locate one---

Thanks for your kind words--- wub.gif

Mary
moon_beam
Hi, Mary, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Miss News is doing. I am sooooo glad your veterinary practitioners are so comforting and supportive for you and your precious Miss News. I hope and pray the Medrol will give your precious little girl a good quality of life so that the both of you can have this extra time together before she must precede you to the angels.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Miss News kindly, Mary. Please know you and your precious Miss News are in my thoughts and prayers, Mary, and please do let us know how you both are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
DannysMom
Mary, thank you for letting us know how your precious Miss News is doing. There is an excellent article on ehow about lymphoma, and here is just a short excerpt for treatment options: "Chemotherapy is effective against feline lymphoma, and surgery and radiation are also effective if the tumor is easily accessible and confined to one location. There are supportive measures to help your cat throughout the treatment process. Feed your cat only fresh and unprocessed foods -- raw and organic whenever possible -- to limit the amount of additives and preservatives his body has to process. Avoid vaccinations while your cat is undergoing cancer treatment to limit stress to her system. Give Vitamin C daily to your cat, 1 g for every 15 pounds of body weight, divided between morning and evening doses."

Read more: Lymphoma in Cats | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5345183_lymphoma-cats.html

I hope this helps you. I'm wishing your sweet Miss News all the best.
Mistletoe
I took her for a check up on Sat---she still has a small amount of fluid but he didn’t want to mess with her since she had been thru it twice in the week.

She has not filled up like she did after the first draining—but she is not interested in eating or drinking. Her skin turgor is good---so she might be drinking when I am not around----I am giving her water thru a syringe every 15 to 30 min0----

I do have some vit C which I started today after reading the post---

She is going to see him again tomorrow for a re-check and ask him about the poor appetite

I am trying to get a picture so I can post it--

Thank you all---- wub.gif
moon_beam
Hi, Mary, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Miss News is doing. I am wondering how her check up went yesterday. I agree with your vet when he did not want to perform another draining - - sometimes the "cure" can be worse than the illness. I am so hoping that your vet will be able to help her with her appetite.

I hope today is treating you and your precious Miss News kindly, Mary. Please know you and your precious Miss News are in my thoughts and prayers, Mary, and please do let us know how you both are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
DannysMom
Mary, thanks for keeping us up to date. I hope Miss News's check up went well. You mentioned that she is not eating or drinking. Have you tried to give her some Nutri-cal? It's a high-cal paste that comes in a tube, and you should be able to get it from your vet or a pet store. It's a good supplement to give them when they don't want to eat. The shot of depo-medrol should have stimulated her appetite. Sometimes a shot of B-12 can help with the appetite as well.
Mistletoe
We were much encouraged by her visit on Monday---he took about 25cc's from here---but her heart sounded good and he felt she was a little more animated----She ate very good Monday and yesterday anhd today not so good--I went on line and found a herbal medication and I started it today-I will call vet again--if I don't see any improvement------I try not to think about what we may have to do----I don't want to keep putting her thru this----

Thank you for your thoughts--
Mary
moon_beam
Hi, Mary, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Miss News are doing, and for letting us know how her visit to her vet went. Sounds like your vet is doing his best to give your precious Miss News a good quality of life during her remaining earthly journey. I do so understand how you are feeling when you share with us: "I try not to think about what we may have to do----I don't want to keep putting her thru this----". Please let me try to offer you words of comfort and encouragement: Take a deep breath and just focus on one day at a time - - one moment at a time, and try not to look down the road to the "future" which right now consists of the next hour, the next day. Savour every moment you have with your precious Miss News - - as she is savouring every moment she has with you. Share your hearts together, as I know you already are doing. And please know you are not alone during this transition journey for you and your precious Miss News.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Mistletoe
Thanks moon_beam---we are both trying our best--when I got up this morning I found her drink from the water bowl---I just weighed her and it looks like she's lost 6 oz from 2 days ago----can't remember if weighed her yesterday or not---I got this liquid nutrition for her-- lapped it up the first time I gave to her and that was it-----I am giving her the herbal medication and will give her the feeding via syringe as often as I can without giving her a tummy ache. I got a picture—this was just before Mark brought her home—and she pretty much stayed the same until she got sick---- unsure.gif

Click to view attachment
Mistletoe
UPDATE-----

Wish I could be more positive--Had to take her back today because I could see she wasn't breathing right----
Took a total of 180cc from her today----
Right now she is as perky as she can be but she is not eating and hardly drinking---Dr. Stevevns told me that even though her liver enzyames were normal--it is L-shaped now---

This will be it----if she slids back again I will put her to sleep--it is not fair to keep doing this to her and she has been a trouper through out this whole ordeal!!!! wub.gif
moon_beam
Hi, Mistletoe, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Miss News are doing. I am so very sorry that she is not responding well to the herbal supplements. I know this is difficult but please remember that when the physical body begins actively shutting down this is reflected in the refusing to eat and take liquids. This is because the body is unable to properly digest and process the intake. I hope you and your precious Miss News are able to enjoy this weekend together. I know you both are savoring every moment you have together.

Thank you so much for sharing your precious girl with us. I can see from her picture how sweet she is, and the reflection of your love she has in her eyes for you. Please know you and your precious Miss News are in my thoughts and prayers, Mistletoe, and look forward to knowing how you both are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Mistletoe
An update on Miss News----Vet checked her out today---no more fluid in her chest---but her liver doesn't look good---not eating or drinking---he says she acts like she's giving up--just tired of the whole thing--not in any pain---so I brought her back home hoping I will wake up and she will be gone---trying to wet her mouth for comfort----and give her some lovin' in her last few days----she has really been a trouper through out this whole ordeal!!!! Bless her little heart!!! wub.gif

Click to view attachment

moon_beam
Hi, Mistletoe, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Miss News are doing. I'm so glad she does not have any fluid in her chest at this time, but am saddened about about the report on her liver function. It does sound like her body is shutting down, and as the liver stops functioning she may become jaundiced. I am so sorry. I know you and your precious Miss News are savouring every moment you have together. Please know you and your precious Miss News are in my thoughts and prayers, Mistletoe, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Mistletoe
I can't believe sh is still hanging in!!!!! She is failing a little each day---but is not in any discomfort----I have take her outside for a few minutes the past couple days and let her sit in the grass---when I hold her she looks around---I am so sorry that she is in this state--it just breaks my heart!!!! I will be home these next 4 days--so I will be here if her time comes during these days---She did something earlier that I have not seen her do since she has been sick------when I picked her up earlier she peed----

I wish she goes peacefully and without distress or pain----

Click to view attachment
moon_beam
Hi, Mistletoe, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Miss News are doing. I know you giving her comfort as her physical body continues the transition journey home to the angels. I'm glad you will be able to be home with her for the next several days, and know that you and your precious Miss News will savour every moment you have together. Please know you and your precious Miss News are in my thoughts and prayers, Mistletoe, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Mistletoe
Moon_beam and Danny's mom---thank you for keeping up with how Miss News was doing------She passed away about 15 minutes ago and I was able to be with her while she took the journey----Kinda had a feeling it would be today---Your checking in on her was of great support-----She will be sorely missed--but I was glad I could be with her---She was a fighter---for 20 days--but she is now out of her misery----

Mary wub.gif

moon_beam
Hi, Mary, although I know your heart is shattered, I am so very glad you were able to be home with your beloved Miss News to comfort her in her transition journey home to the angels. I know this means a lot to you, as it means so very much to your beloved Miss News. Please accept my sincerest sympathies as you now travel your grief adjustment journey. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and thank you so very much for honoring us in sharing your beloved Miss News with us.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.