Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emotional Wreck
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
Kirra1
Hi to all,
At the moment I am very distressed as my girl Kirra the Alaskan Malamute, she turns 10 in just under two weeks, was diagnosed with bad kidneys two days ago. I noticed her breath smelt bad and she was down for a few days, I thought maybe she just had a bad tooth, but the vet said her kidneys were damaged from the smell of her breath and rang me straight away with the test results that proved the vets thoughts. Kirra spent yesterday at the vet on a drip and I brought home in the evening. She has not been wither drinking or eating a great deal and the only she had yesterday she threw up, today it has stayed down.
I am just beside myself as I she has always been happy and healthy and I was stunned two days ago and have been crying on and off ever since, even at the vets. The vet says she may live for days, weeks or even months or more. While some this is great news, the thoughts of days is heartbreaking as I never want her to leave me, I am desperately upset as with my twin brother, who loves Kirra as much as I do. She shares are lives and we pour the love on her non stop, she has two grown men bowing down to her every need, but now I feel no end of guilt that her health is my fault and I cannot face having to put down my wonderful girl if she does not improve. She is so much of my life and my heart is breaking just thinking of her being down and facing the end of her days.
If anybody has been through the same situation or similar can you please help me and my brother as we are distraught and do not know if she will improve and we can continue to love her, or if this is the end of her days. This our first beautiful furbaby of our own, and we are at a lost.

Kind regards to all of you that have suffered, but it is good to see so many love their furbabies unconditionally, just as they love us.
moon_beam
Hi, Kirra, please permit me to offer you my sincerest sorrow in the diagnosis of your precious Kirra's kidney failure. My beloved Samson, a mixed Lab / Border Collie, succumbed to kidney failure. When the kidneys stop functioning properly the toxins that are normally eliminated instead begin to literally poison the blood stream and the rest of the body. Some of the symptoms are nausea, vomitting, listlessness, bad breath, and prolonged sleep. Sometimes medications can help reduce the symptoms so that the companion can enjoy a decent quality of life until the kidneys stop functioning entirely - - and the only thing we can do is try to make their transition home to the angels as comfortable as possible.

Kirra, you and your brother are experiencing what is called Anticipatory Grief. Your precious Kirra is still physically with you, and you will do whatever is in your power to keep her as comfortable and happy as possible - - knowing that your earthly journey with her is now less than what your heart can bear. Euthanasia is a very difficult decision to make but it is one made with the most unselfish act of love we can give to our companions when their physical body is painful for them to be in. Kidney failure is a slow and agonizing terminal illness. Only you and your brother can make the decision to release your precious Kirra from her physical body when you know beyond all shadow of a doubt that she no longer has any quality of life. Hopefully your veterinary practitioner is offering you compassionate support as you and your brother travel this Anticipatory Grief journey with your precious Kirra.

This time you have with your precious Kirra is precious for the both of you, and for your brother. Savor every moment you have together, as I know you already are doing. Your precious Kirra knows your heart, and she knows the decisions you make for her come from the truest, purest love you will know on this side of eternity.

Thank you so very much for sharing your precious Kirra with us. Please know you are among friends here who truly do understand what you and your brother are going through, and we are here for you for as long and as often as you need us. Please know you, your brother, and your precious Kirra are in my thoughts and prayers, and please do let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.