Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Senile Dementia?
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
Nala1996
When I first got my cat in 1996 I was four years old. For a long as I remember she has been a part of my life, always waiting for me to get back from school. Every Saturday morning she would sleep next to my chair on the bean bag and would always try and follow us whenever any of my family would try going on a walk she would try and follow.

However in the last 3 or 4 years she has been almost exlcusivly my cat. Always sleeping in my room at night and during the day. To the point when if I hadn't gone to bed when she thought it was time she would stand by my bed howling for me to get in. And she would always stare down the stairs dissapprovingly if I came home late in the odd evening. She would often only eat her food if I had put it down.

Then about 5 months ago I got a girlfriend and was coming home less during the day (I've been going to a local college) and going out more in the evenings and generally was spending less time with my cat, although she still slept next to my bed.

Then I agreed to go on holiday with my girlfriend's family over half term. On the Sunday before a left she slept on my bed, purring with the anticipation as she usually does. And on the Monday morning she slept in my room again and looked at me sadly when she saw I was leaving with a suitcase, as she seems to know what that means.

I came back on the Friday and expected a similar response to that which I got when I went away for a week last summer, when as soon as I was through the door she was on my lap for pretty much the rest of the day. However something had changed, she did sit on my lap but she would also sit on everyone elses lap at every oppertunity. She has changed her sleeping places, she used to sleep on the beanbag almost constantly and on the rug by the fire in the evening, now she refuses to sit on either. She tends to sit on the windosill most of time.

For the first few weeks this seemed quite novel as she was suddenly less prone to bite and scratch (she's always been fairly moody) and she would sit on my lap whenever I sat down. However almost two and she still refuses to sleep on the beanbag, or any of her old favourite places. She seems to have forgotten who we are and she will sit on everyones lap even if she hasn't seen them before wheras she used to only sit on either my lap or my Dad's lap. She doesn't wait for anyone to get home like she used. sometimes it almost seems as if she's forgotten how to walk. she still likes company but wheras she seemed to only enjoy it if I gave it to her she will now settle with everyone. We are thinking she may have some form of senile dementia.

Sorry that this is such a long post but I am very worried about it and quite upset. She seems to have lost her old personality, which we would always jokingly complain about because she could get quite irritable if she thought we were doing something that she wasn't invited to. It all happen so suddenly. On the Monday she was perfectly fine, a bit old and thin but no more than you would expect for a cat of 15 years. And on the Friday when I came back... I feel guilty that I wasn't there with her when it happened
moon_beam
Hi, Nala, thank you so much for sharing your precious companion with us. You ask if what she is experiencing could be dementia. As I read your account of events it could just be that your companion is lonely and because she is older now she is seeking affection from anyone she can get it from. She may also be feeling abandoned by you and is showing this in her behavior. If you are concerned about her health status - - which she is now very much a "senior citizen" - - you need to get her checked out by her veterniary practitioner. Of course tests do not always indicate an illness in its early stages, but at least you and your companion's vet will have a baseline of health status at this point to refer to in the future. One thing for sure - - whatever is happening with your precious companion at this stage in her life she needs to have your affection. She has always been there for her human family members - - perhaps now more than ever in her earthly journey she needs to know and be reassured that she has the same commitment.

I hope this helps you, Nala. Please know you and your precious companion are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how things go.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Nala1996
Thank you for your reply. moon_beam.
The reason that we suspect that something has affected her brain is because it all happened so suddenly, and she also will not sit on her two favourite places, the rug by the fire or the beanbag. Instead she will only sit on the windowsill or other hard surfaces. She is also very unresponsive and seems unaware of anything that goes on around her even when she is awake.

We are taking her to the vet tommorrow so we'll see what they say. I'm coming back more often again now and she seems to be settling into a routine of sleeping on by bedside cabinet although she is quite restless an will often suddenly sit bolt upright. However she still is eating with as much enthusiasum as she always has done, possibly even more so
moon_beam
Hi, Nala, thank you so much for sharing with us how your precious companion is doing. I am very glad to know that she still has a very active appetite - - this is very good news. What seems to us to be "sudden onset" can in reality be changes that have been occurring over a period of time and "something" happens to bring them to the forefront of our attention. Please know you and your precious companion are in my thoughts and prayers that the vet will be able to help your companion when she sees him / her tomorrow. Please let us know how things go.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Nala1996
Got back from the vet a couple of hours. Not good news. The vet would have put her down there an then if possible. We are going to spoil her with all of her favourite things for her last few days.

Apparently she is almost comletly blind although we have known her eyesight wasn't very good for a few years now. He also suspected that there was something wrong with her Kidney or liver or a slow brain tumor. He didn't even do blood tests.

I'm having trouble typing at the moment but will update later. She's been my friend for more than 15 years. And I'm feeling very lost.
moon_beam
Hi, Nala, please permit me to offer you my sincerest condolences on the news you received from the vet about your precious companion. I can certainly empathize with how devastated you are feeling. I'm glad you feel comfortable bringing your precious companion home to give her - - and you - - quality time to share and cherish as she transitions home to the angels. I hope the vet counseled you on symptoms to look for so that, if appropriate, you can make "the decision" if / when your precious companion may be in irreversible pain.

Please know we are here with you, for you, and beside you as you and your precoius companion travel this journey of Anticipatory Grief. And please know you and your precious companion are in my personal thoughts and prayers, and look forward to knowing how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
Nala1996
Well, Ive lost my companion of 15yrs. My mum came home yesterday lunch time and found her shivering and we knew the vet said it needed to be done sooner rather than later.

We wanted it to be done at home as she hated the trip to the vets and would yowl pitifullly the whole journey there which was hard enough for us knowing she would come home. The vet said that he would be round at 4pm leaving us 4 hours to wait with her. we put on some music in the background to try and make it seem as normal as possible. About 20mins before it happened she roused and ate a bowl of freshly cooked haddick which was her favourite and then curled up and slept.

I found the whole thing very difficult as I'm sure you can imagine. The vet had to wake her up and shave her leg so that he could find a vien. I helped hold her as I wanted to try and be a comfort to her. But when the needle went in she yowled and hissed and the worst thing is that the vet didn't get enough in first time round.

I feel really guilty as the last words I said to her was 'It'll be ok' and that I helped hold her from squirming away from the needle. I don't want to feel like I've let her down after she trusted me all through the years. I've been feeling immensly devestated as i'm sure many on this board can relate to. I can never replace her.

It's never a good time to lose a pet but now seems like the worst time in the world as i'm a mere 2 weeks from the start of all of my exams which will decide if i can go and study maths at university and can't afford to lose time to revision even though all I feel like doing is grieving.

Should I repost this to the other section of the forum.
moon_beam
Hi, Nala, please permit me to offer you my sincerest sympathies in the physical loss of your beloved companion. Losing a companion is never easy regardless of the circumstances or how long we are blessed with the privilege of their company. Euthanasia is the last gift of love we can give to our companions at great sacrifice to ourselves so that they can be restored to their former youthfulness in the company of the angels.

Nala, there is no way in heaven or on earth that you will ever be able to "repalce" your beloved companion. This grief journey is one of adjustment to the physical absence of our companions and it is a very painful one both emotionally and physically. Your beloved companion has her own place in your heart and your memories, Nala - - no matter what happens in your life.

Nala, please know you are not alone in your grief journey. Each of us here do understand what you are going through and we are here for you for as long and as often as you need us. I know there are no adequate words in any language that can soothe the seering pain of loss you are feeling in your heart. I can only hope the words I share with you will be of some comfort to you. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, Nala, and look forward to knowing how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.