Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Here - Lost Our Sweet Allie On 2/7
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Death and Dying Pet Support
Macys Mom
I stumbled across this website looking for something - I don't really know what I was looking for.
We lost of our sweet girl Allie - a yellow lab - on Monday. She had a grand mal seizure on New Years eve that she recovered from but we suspected that she may have had a brain tumor (she had previously had breast cancer). She had her second seizure on 1/28 and we believe had a small stroke because she lost some vision but afterwards was still herself. On 2/4 and 2/5 she had two more seizures and her back legs started having problems. We made the choice to have her go to the angels on 2/7. Although I know it was the right thing for her - I am struggling. She was only 9 years old and the sweetest girl and the best hunter. My husband is devastated as well. We have another yellow lab - Macy - and she's just lost. I had to leave her home for the first time today by herself and I felt so badly for her.

I am just heartbroken - I feel like my child has died. I know that this is normal but I just miss her so much.

Flossie's Mom
Macy,s Mom,

I am so sorry for your loss of Allie. They ARE our children so I can understand your feeling you've lost a child. It is so hard for us as well as other "children" like Macy when the normal routine is upset. No more Allie to play with, sleep near, take care of.

Those seizures are so disturbing and leave them so disoriented for a time afterward. I just knew my dog was dying the first one she had. I held her & was almost hysterical as we were 2,000 miles from her regular vet, out in the country without a clue what to do. Of course she came out of it but was not herself for about an hour afterward. I called our regular vet as he knew her history which helped me to understand how to handle more. She was 17 so diagnosis testing would be pretty much impossible and more than likely pointless.

This is the best "stumbling" place you could have found......... Everyone here knows how you feel and are full of various methods of coping with your loss as well as methods for helping Macy cope with the loss of a best buddy.

You will find much comfort here among people who understand fully that they are not "just a dog/cat/bird/ferret/bunny/rat etc". I'm glad you found us and you will be too.

Macys Mom
Flossie's Mom - thank you. I needed to hear all of what you had to say. I don't know how I forgot to mention this but the prior week - my beloved cat Lucky passed away also. He was 15+. He hadn't been living with us because my daughter is allergic to him but I work with the wonderful woman who took him in and loved him until he died. She is amazing and let us have him so we could bury him and let my daughter have his collar since she loved him so. I have to try to answer my daughters questions about why everything around us is dying or sick (my mom had a heart attack last week too). Not an easy question.

I feel like half of our family was taken away and we all feel their loss. I don't know how to move forward except one day at a time - I just hope each day gets easier.
rallytally7
Flossy'smom: I am so sorry for you loss. They ARE our babies. I just lost my dear Brutus last Thursday. So, I know exactly how you feel. Try to remember the good times; that gets me from minute to minute. Sometimes we have to just get by minute-by-minute instead of day-by-day. My deepest condolences are with you. Find someone to verbally talk to---it DOES help to do that.
Poppy's Mom
Macy's mom,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. You are right, they are like our children. I'm still mourning the loss of my boy. I lost him on 1/20/11. In the beginning, I thought we would not make it through from the pain in our hearts but in my heart I knew that I did the right thing for him because he had been suffering. There are days that I cry and see him everywhere, and there are days we get by with a few tears. It does get better with time, I promise. The love never goes away though, but the suffering within us subsides.

Allow yourself to cry and miss your baby, that is normal, after all you did lose a member of your family. Give your other one lots of love and attention because they don't understand why their buddy is not there anymore. I know your baby is in heaven and not suffering anymore.

Hugs to you and your family.
Juturna
Dear Macy's Mom,

Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your precious Allie. I totally understand the heartfelt grief feeling as though you lost a child. I felt that way when we euthanized my beautiful Victoria a couple weeks ago.

Please know that grief is truly a one day at a time experience. You are not alone here in missing your sweet companion.

With healing thoughts and peace,
Juturna
JoanneL
I also want to add my support and condolences to you. I lost my 3 year old dog, Zoe, a month ago when she was hit by a car. I also have another dog, her brother. It is so hard on us but also on the other pets. In your case you have to cope with the loss of Lucky, your mom's heart attack and Allie's death. Way too much at one time.
I am so glad that you found this place to come and say whatever you are feeling. You know we will understand.
moon_beam
Hi, Macys Mom, please permit me to add my sincerest sympathies in the loss of your beloved Allie and Lucky. Losing a beloved companion is never easy regardless of the circumstances or how long we have been blessed with the privilege of their company. Euthanasia is the last gift of love we can give to our beloved companions at great sacrifice to ourselves so that they can once again be restored to their former youthfulness in the company of the angels.

Macys Mom, it is AMAZING you are able to function with all the losses and tragic events you and your family are suffering. I so understand your quandry about being able to answer your daughter's question: "why everything around us is dying or sick." Multiple traumatic events are overwhelming to deal with. When we are faced with too much grief, our minds and bodies kick in an automatic survival mechanism that allows us to function. I call it functioning on automatic pilot.

It is so nice that the lady you work with graciously honored you with the opportunity to bury your precious Lucky and give your daughter the gift of his collar to cherish. I know this is a comfort to you and your family.

As long as your precious Macy is eating normally, drinking water okay, and taking care of her personal needs normally she will be okay with your loving attention and devotion. It is hard on our beloved companions because they cannot "tell" us what is in their heart and on their mind - - they can only do this through their moods and behaviors.

Also, clinical professionals recognize that children do grieve differently from adults. There are several excellent books to help you talk to your daughter about her feelings of loss and grief, if you feel that is an appropriate way to help your daughter with her questions.

Macy's Mom, this grief journey is a one day at a time, sometimes a one moment at a time journey. There are so many ups and downs, twists and turns and turnarounds that we can feel like we're on a horror roller coaster ride. There will be good days and some very hard days, and then just when we think we're through the hardest part of our grief journey we may hear a special song or think of a memory and we'll find ourselves crumbling to our knees as if it's the first moment when our beloved companions have joined the angels.

One of the many important things for you to remember, Macys Mom, is that you are not alone in your journey. Each of us are here for you for as long and as often as you need us. We are here with you, beside you, and for you through every step of your journey.

Macy's Mom, thank you so much for sharing your precious Allie and Lucky with us. Perhaps sometime you may want to post pictures of them and share some of your memories with us. Also, perhaps in time you and your daughter may want to do a special memorial for them - - like a scrapbook or a video. These types of projects can be very healing as they help us to focus on our beloved companions' life with us -- which is what our beloved companions want for us - - to remember them with a happy heart.

Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, Macy's Mom, and please do let us know how things are going whenever possible.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.