Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Things Get Any Worse?
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
EloosParents
We try so hard to do everything right. We pay all of our bills, on time and usually have nothing left over afterward, animals eat first. When we found 4 female kittens under the house we had just moved into temporarily, we took them in (including the mama, we already had three kitties of our own, Eloo, Axle and Perfecta or "Stinky La Ra") and had them spayed, and gave them their shots and tried to find homes for them, which was extremely difficult because we are rural. Mama Mina did finally get adopted out and is doing well, but we have had such a rough time along the way. This is why:

One of our older babies, Eloo recently passed away from cancer (we had to euthanize him). I won't go into that because it hurts terrible, but now, his brother is having dental issues causing him pain and obvious discomfort. When I called the vet this morning I learned it is going to cost me over $300 dollars for having the exam and possible tooth extraction! This is because he is over 6yrs old and needs bloodwork, more shots and etc. I was so excited when my Grandma sent me an extra $100 (she said to go out to eat with it, but how can I do that when my Axle is in pain!). I figured this would be more than enough for the exam and maybe a little more for the extraction. Tomorrow is payday, but we pay the mortgage and nothing will be left over but that $100 and I STILL can't get him any relief? I do not have the $300 dollars to fix this. How can I help him? I feel HELPLESS!!!!

This is on top of dealing with the new issues with the kittens, which began developing over time as they got older. EVERY one of them (all 4!) have the "rippling back" or Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome which causes them to bite themselves, lick, run around as if something is hurting them and when I try to comfort them, they run from me. This is horrible! I spoke with two different vets (both stated it was not hereditary, but this is bull-crap because Mama Mina had the same thing happen to her back, it rippled and she would "spook out". Both vets recommended having ALL FOUR babies (Haley, Tammy, Toni and Lulu) euthanized! WHAT! Are you freaking serious! We are NOT going to do this. They are young and there has to be something we can try! So far, Toni, LuLu and Haley experience the back rippling the worst. Tammy is the ONLY one of them that purrs and she does not experience this even close to the scale that Toni and others do. I feel so bad for them when I can't comfort them! It is obvious the disorder is hereditary, but the only way so far I have found to comfort them is with the laser light or something that will "distract" them long enough to make it stop. Sometimes this does not work when it is bad. Other times, Toni will climb into a pillowcase to try to hide from the rippling.

We live in the middle of nowhere with ZERO family and ZERO support system and I am really starting to feel alone and anxious. I am on SSD due to porphyria and feel so helpless I could scream! Why are we trying to do everything right, when everything seems to be so wrong all of the time? Why can't something positive happen? PLEASE!

Please keep our babies in your prayers, thoughts etc. I just want something good to happen!

Angelique & Marvin Welch

Cheryl83
Oh, my heart absolutely goes out to you. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. You're clearly a wonderful, lovely, person, with a heart of gold, and you do not deserve to be going through all this. I really wish I could help you in some way, but unfortunately I'm at a loss what to say. I live in the UK, and over here if people cannot afford vet bills there are organisations and charities we can go to for help, such as the PDSA and RSPCA. I don't know what help is available where you are, but I'm sure you've probably already looked into it? I know my post isn't any help, but I just had to respond to you, and say that I'm sorry, and that you and your furbabies will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated and let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Cheryl xx
moon_beam
Hi, Angelique & Marvin, I, too, would like to add my deepest sympathies in the difficult situation you are going through. I highly recommend that you look into services that your local or State humane society can offer. Also, some veterinary practices have a "Good Samaritan Fund" that is available for people who have financial challenges. These are really difficult financial times for many people, and unfortunately our society in general has the attitude that companion animals are "expendable". I have done volunteer work with people who have had to give up their precious companions because they simply cannot provide for them anymore, and it is always a heart-wrenching situation.

You might want to contact other veterinary practitioners in your area to see if they have access to resources that your regular vet might not be aware of. Sometimes veterinary hopsitals have student "residents" do a tour of internship and to get credit for their residency will do procedures under the supervision of the regular veterinary staff. Sometimes this can be done for a reduced cost or maybe no cost to the client. It's worth looking into - - at this point you have nothing to lose checking into whatever options that might be available.

I, too, wish there was something more I could offer you in addition to "armchair" encouragement. The only thing I can do for you is to keep you and your precious companions in my thoughts and prayers, and to ask that you please let us know how things go.

Peace and blessngs,
moon_beam
EloosParents
Whew! Things have been looking up and I appreciate these kind words from you both so very much. I immediately got on the phone the other day and ended up speaking with the vet herself. When I explained our situation, she made an appointment right away and only charged us $160 for two extractions! Whew!

We had to drive through a scary monsoon storm with hail, wind and rain, but we made it and today Axle is laying down, purring and sprawled out on the floor happier than ever. I could tell he was so sore yesterday afterward, but today he is much better and even taking his antibiotic well. He even gets to eat turkey baby food for a few days smile.gif

As for the kittens, the last few days have been pretty decent. Toni experiences the "spooks" the most, but as long as I distract her, she seems to come out of it, I just can't pet them when it is happening. It is like I have lightening coming off of my fingertips to them it seems. Haley, LuLu and Tammy are doing fairly well too the last few days (Tammy and Haley for some reason dislike each other now that they are older, I am not sure what Tammy did to Haley, but whatever it was, Haley can't stand her and hisses when she comes near).

We may try a non-grain diet for them all to see if that helps at all with the "spooks", but need to do a lot of research on how to do this and make sure they have a REAL diet and not lack anything.

I feel a lot better today and think that we may make it through this. It is so hard sometimes because we love these guys so much (hubby is just as much of a sucker as I am) and we end up so bummed out when things go wrong and we cannot do something to help. I felt so helpless the last few days and now I feel a little relief. If we can get the "spooks" under control, (which so far so good with distraction and play), then we are in a good spot.

I am so glad you guys are here. I can't really talk to anyone about these things except my hubby since we are rural and most people around us do not care as much about animals as we do. What a relief just knowing that there are others out there who KNOW exactly how I feel when this stuff strikes.

Thanks again so much you guys, I am sending all my love, and the cats send their purrs and the dog her loving dog slobber smile.gif

Ang & Marv

Parents to:

Axle ("Axle Shmaxle")
Eloo (precious "Buddy Boo"! Resting at the Rainbow Bridge
Perfecta ("Stinky-La-Ra")
Haley ("Haley Bailey")
LuLu ("Louie Patouie" or "e-e")
Toni ("Toni-Bawoney" or "Mama")
Tammy ("Tammy Whammy")
& Pupper Dog Judah ("Ja-Bup-A-Judah") smile.gif

moon_beam
Hi, Ang and Marv, thank you so o o o much for letting us know how things are going. I am so oo o relieved to know that your vet took care of your precious Axle's dental needs. Sounds like you have a winner with her. I hope that his recovery continues to go well - - sounds like he's well on the road to recovery.

Whatever changes in food you do, just make sure that you mix in the new food with their current food gradually - - like over a week - - so that come the end of the week they are eating only their new food. This will help their digestive systems become accustomed to their new food without having major tummy upsets. Most of the time this works, and hopefully this will be the case for your beloved companions.

As for Tammy and Haley, they will work things out. My Noah and Abbygayle were inseparable most of the time, but sometimes Noah would do something to tick off his sister and Abbygayle would let him know about it, too. Noah was devoted to his baby sister - - sometimes more than what Abbygayle could handle at a particular moment.

Ang and Marv, again - - I am so o o very glad things have worked out for Axel, and thank you so o o o much for letting us know. I do so hope and pray that life will begin to improve for you. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

doggielove
Life runs in cycles it does and I am so glad things are turning around for you. I didn't have the money either when my Tyson was sick and so I had to charge everything and now I have a huge bill but it would have all been worth it if I still had my doggie. Your kitties sound wonderful! Keep up the great work! It is worth it all. doggielove
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.