Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Need Advice ...
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > CyberShoulder Room
gillian
My cat Darcey went missing a week ago. I'm not sure I'll find her again. I think someone has stolen her.

I live in Ireland where 85% of cats are outdoors, and Sasha and Darcey are both outdoor cats, and have always been fine ... till Darcey went missing.

A few cats went missing round where I live recently, which is disturbing, especially as there are no predators, or road victims recently. I think some horrible person is stealing them.

I have a 4 month old kitten, who's due to go outside. But now I'm not so sure. He was due to go out the week Darcey went missing and I did let him lose round my back yard where he had a great time. But I'm not sure what to do now. He does seem to look out a lot and want out, but he also seems happy even though he's inside.

It seems unwise to put the kitten out with one cat missing. Sasha goes out no problems. Not really worried about her, cause she comes in at night. And she hangs around the house, unlike Darcey who is a wanderer. My fiancé says to put the kitten out now, hes been inside for 2 months now, and it's time he went out. But I keep putting it off. I mean, I'd have been perfectly happy to let Sebastian outdoors if Darcey hadn't gone missing.

Perhaps I'm just allowing Darcey's disappearance to cloud my judgement over what is best for Sebastian. I believe in the outdoor cat. I mean, Sasha been outdoors for 6 years without any worries. But she is sensible and stays close to home. Darcey is a risktaker. I always knew that.

Can I have some advice? It seems unfair that Sebastian shouldn't get to live freely simply because Darcey went missing, but it also scares me to put him out too, cause I'm breaking my heart over Darcey ... and not knowing where she is. And I don't think I could bear two cats going missing. I know it's unlikely, that Darcey is maybe just on a hunting trip and got lost ... but God. I'm so anxious. sad.gif My cats and dogs are my babies. I love them all dearly. They're more than pets to me. I miss my Darcey and I don't want to lose Sebastian too and I don't know what to think anymore. I feel perhaps I should keep him in till Darcey comes home, but what if she doesn't come home? What then?
LoveThem
Examine how you would feel if Sebastian went missing. That should give you your answer.

Sometimes when animals stay together..the older and more experienced looks out for the younger one. But a young kitten by himself with no guidance....I don't know.

I still think my first sentence was my best advice.

Good Luck.
gillian
I see what you mean. I'm inclined to see if I can get Darcey home first, then I'll think about it again. Sasha can continue going outside as usual though. She's a sensible cat. My fiancé disagrees. But well, I'm not sure.
LoveThem
That sounds sensible for your kitten. I hope Darcy comes home soon.

Your fiance may disagree. But how would he face you if something happened to Sebastian because he talked you into doing something you are not sure of.

I know the pain you would go through if Sebastian was lost. A little baby boy. Listen to your instincts and above all, see what you are going through with Darcy and she is an adult.

You said you did not want to have 2 missing. I don't blame you for feeling that way. I would be frantic over 1 and could not imagine another one.

Remember too, Sebastian will be an adult someday so maybe some restriction as a baby now is okay.

The one thing I always have been afraid of is even if my cat knew how to come home...one day he might chase something for a long way...and..truly lose his way back. That thought terrifies me.

Sounds like you are thinking in a sensible way. See what other advice you get here to help.

ann
QUOTE (LoveThem @ Sep 18 2008, 08:03 PM) *
That sounds sensible for your kitten. I hope Darcy comes home soon.

Your fiance may disagree. But how would he face you if something happened to Sebastian because he talked you into doing something you are not sure of.

I know the pain you would go through if Sebastian was lost. A little baby boy. Listen to your instincts and above all, see what you are going through with Darcy and she is an adult.

You said you did not want to have 2 missing. I don't blame you for feeling that way. I would be frantic over 1 and could not imagine another one.

Remember too, Sebastian will be an adult someday so maybe some restriction as a baby now is okay.

The one thing I always have been afraid of is even if my cat knew how to come home...one day he might chase something for a long way...and..truly lose his way back. That thought terrifies me.

Sounds like you are thinking in a sensible way. See what other advice you get here to help.

I hope for Darcey's safe return. Keep checking the classifies and put up posters, just in case. Has she been fixed? You just need to hope for the best. I also believe in outdoor cats. I think your little kitten is too young, I'd wait at least another 6mo or so. If you do decide to let him out I would advise supervision. I did that with Arthur at first. A couple of hours a day, and never when no one was not home, always in at night..Then after a good 6mo of that I cut the cord so to speak. Another tip you could use, I used a noise he was familar with to get him to come home. I banged on his dinner bowl with a spoon so the noise would carry far enough for him to hear. It worked all the time. Arthur wondering and never coming back was my biggest fear, yet I didn't have the heart to keep him in with that big beautiful yard taunting him. I always said if he dies outside he dies happy. But it's still heart wrenching. I had a cat years ago that went missing for 15 days! She returned with a dislocated hip,but did live another 12yrs. So there is always hope. Last year Arthur put me thru hell taking off 12 to 17 hrs a day, never coming home to even eat, I had him dead so many times. It was his first unsupervised freedom and I guess he had to get it out of his system. I actually thought of getting a GPS devise for him. You attach it to their collars and can track them on your cell phone or computer. It's a little bulky for cats though. They are quite expensive 500.00 us or so. Good luck and let us know WHEN she returns.. Ann
gillian
Ann, Yeah, I've done all that. I've done everything I can to find her, but shes now been gone 8 days. She has been spayed yes. Yeah, clapping my hands is the 'call' I have for my cats. I have a 6 year old outdoor cat Sasha who is just fine. Darcey has been outdoors 2 years and had been fine till now. Thanks for the message of support. smile.gif
AlleysMama
Both of my boys are indoors only and they are happy. They have plenty of toys and things to climb on and get lots of attention. I put bird feeders outside the window so they could watch them.

There are just too many bad things that can happen to them outside and I will never take that chance again.
gillian
Thanks for the advice, and for your message of support on Darcey. I appreciate it. smile.gif

To be honest, while I realise that a lot of people here believe in the indoor cat, I believe in the outdoor cat, as do 85% of the population over here in the UK and Ireland, as there is very little risk for outdoor cats where I'm from. So Sebastian will an outdoor cat; I was just wondering whether to allow him out YET or not. I've decided to keep him in for now to see if I can get Darcey home first. I might wait until he's 6 months, have him neutered first, then let him out. We'll see. Playing it by ear. But he will be going outdoors eventually. It's clearly what he wants, but at the moment, it's just not the right time, with Darcey missing and coming up to Halloween too, lots of kids are already letting off fireworks. I will let him out when I feel the time is right.

If I never get Darcey home, I will always know that at least while she lived with me she enjoyed a full quality of life, allowed to come and go as she chose. And while it is difficult for me not knowing where she is right now, I do know that Darcey can hunt and Darcey is half wild, very used to the outdoors, more than capable of finding food for herself. I've been getting a few calls round a particular area not too far from my home reporting a tabby cat, one of those calls was very promising, but any time we check she isn't there. But I believe she's alive right now and fine. Shes either been stolen, or she's simply lost and will find home eventually. Because she was always happy with me. And hopefully she will be happy with me again. I'll never give up hope on her entirely, because she is microchipped after all.

Thanks again for the advice.
LoveThem
I'll never give up hope on her entirely, because she is microchipped after all.

I totally agree never to give up hope on Darcy and to follow all leads.

Your last sentence about her being microchipped...I do have information to think about for pet owners. A neighbor of mine lost her cat over a year ago. He was standing by her in her yard and then saw a strange cat and chased it and was never seen again. Her cat was microchipped. She had rescued it from the kill shelter here.

She was frantic to find her cat. Animal Control is a distance away but she checked there many times, particularly since the first time she went there and saw so many, many cats....she told them about her cat being microchipped and their response was...there were too many cats there and they did not have time to check microchips so they do not do so and it is up to her to keep driving out there and looking at the hundreds of cats everyday cause they are killed within a couple of days. She is elderly and finally gave up driving out there cause it was too depressing...not finding her boy and seeing all the cats trapped outside and brought in there to die. In my community..we also have a man suspected of poisoning cats that go into his yard. Our Association is bragging they have trapped 13 outdoor cats so far..who will be put to death. Here...the outdoors is not a guaranty of a good life.

So contrary to advertising....microchipped is not a guaranty. It is good and better than nothing but some vets don't have the special machine cause it is too expensive and when the taxpayers paid our County Animal Control to have it, they advise owners of lost pets...they don't have time to check so many cats all the time. She never got her cat back from anywhere. He had her name, address, phone number or whatever...on his chip...but that didn't bring him home.

I know having gotten a rescue cat myself....he is also microchipped because it is automatically done here..but I also realize that no
information is useful and helpful...if no one reads it. Sad but true in many instances (actually in all here as far as the kill shelter).

That's why checking all leads and posting information is probably the best hope.

gillian
Yes I appreciate that, but as you say, it's better than nothing, and at least it will be proof that Darcey is my cat; if I found out someone had stolen her, I'd be able to prove she's mine and get her back.

I do hope to get her back, and I'm doing everything I can.

And if and when I do get her back, that girl is coming inside for a few weeks so I can domesticate her a bit. Teach her that when she does go back outside again she will come in at nights, and she should hang around the house and not travel too far, just as her big sister Sasha does ... Darcey is clearly too wild for her own good. But maybe it's not too late for Darcey and she'll be home soon.

In the meantime, thanks for the advice on Sebastian.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.