Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: T-cell Lymphoma
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
bigdogmom
Last week our 20 month bullmastiff Butkus was diagnosed with High Grade T Cell Lymphoma and Hypercalcemia. We have had him less than 6 mths. He has been such a joy to our family and our 4 yr. old rottie. We can't imagine not having him in our lives much longer. We have weighed our options and gotten a few professional opinions. We have opted for Prednisone only. Butkus is eating once again (his main symptom of illness was not eating and vomiting) and seems to be holding his own but we sure see a slowdown in his activities. We are giving him lots of love and attention and are trying to enjoy every minute we can with the sweet guy. I'm wondering how to prepare our Rottie for life without Butkus. They are best friends. Also I wonder if I should contact the breeder and let them know that there could be a flaw in the gene pool. I understand that things just happen sometimes but in case they have had other puppies suc%%b to this disease I feel I should let them know. My heart goes out to all of you dealing with pet illness and death. I know my heart is surely breaking over this.
sunrize
I am so very sorry for your babies illness. I know its not the length of time we have our angels that determine the depth of our love. From the first moment we meet these wonderful creatures that become our babies, there is no way to measure the love we have for them. I'm glad the medication is helping him to feel better. I would let the breeder know just to be safe, in case there is a history of this horrible disease in their pups. Maybe another puppy and family will be saved from this fate. I don't know how to prepare your Rotti. I think they scense these things somehow. In the past when we have lost a loved one our others seemed to know. I have a Rotti Chow mix that is missing his sister now, as I am. But I believe he knew she was gone the day I took her for her last visit to the vet. Because when I came home,he waited for her to come in with me,and waited by the door for a short while, then went to her bed and cried. He didn't ask to go outside to look for her. I believe they know so much more than we can imagine. You and Butkus will be in my heart in the days to come.
LoveThem
I'm sorry to hear about Butkus. My Little Guy's twin we lost to lymphoma. It is heartbreaking.

I think Rottie will need lots of extra attention and hugs and kisses, and some time to adjust. If he doesn't relax with this, you may consider a puppy friend.

One thing I remember about dogs...they are good about welcoming another..

Now the extra hugs and kisses go to Butkus. I don't know how long the vet told you but as long as you have quality time, that is a blessing, and it sounds like you have bought him time.

My prayers are for Butkus to have many more days of quality time with all of you.

Hugs wub.gif
bigdogmom
QUOTE (sunrize @ Sep 6 2008, 12:38 PM) *
I am so very sorry for your babies illness. I know its not the length of time we have our angels that determine the depth of our love. From the first moment we meet these wonderful creatures that become our babies, there is no way to measure the love we have for them. I'm glad the medication is helping him to feel better. I would let the breeder know just to be safe, in case there is a history of this horrible disease in their pups. Maybe another puppy and family will be saved from this fate. I don't know how to prepare your Rotti. I think they scense these things somehow. In the past when we have lost a loved one our others seemed to know. I have a Rotti Chow mix that is missing his sister now, as I am. But I believe he knew she was gone the day I took her for her last visit to the vet. Because when I came home,he waited for her to come in with me,and waited by the door for a short while, then went to her bed and cried. He didn't ask to go outside to look for her. I believe they know so much more than we can imagine. You and Butkus will be in my heart in the days to come.

Thank you so very much for your kind words and advice. I believe that you are right that our loving pets sense when something is wrong. Our Rottie certainly knows that Butkus isn't himself and whimpers when he can't get his best friend to play. Also I believe you are right about notifying the breeder. No one should have to go through this pain. For now, we are enjoying "our boys" and treasuring every minute we have with Butkus. Take care and please give your Rotti Chow an extra hug from me!
bigdogmom
QUOTE (LoveThem @ Sep 6 2008, 04:02 PM) *
I'm sorry to hear about Butkus. My Little Guy's twin we lost to lymphoma. It is heartbreaking.

I think Rottie will need lots of extra attention and hugs and kisses, and some time to adjust. If he doesn't relax with this, you may consider a puppy friend.

One thing I remember about dogs...they are good about welcoming another..

Now the extra hugs and kisses go to Butkus. I don't know how long the vet told you but as long as you have quality time, that is a blessing, and it sounds like you have bought him time.

My prayers are for Butkus to have many more days of quality time with all of you.

Hugs wub.gif

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I certainly can understand the pain. Lots of kisses are being bestowed upon Butkus as well as our Rottie. Thank you also for the prayers. They do help. We are treasuring the good days we have with Butkus and trying to comfort him on his bad days. We don't know how long he will be with us but I've been led to believe that his surviving until his second birthday in December is unlikely. Maybe the extra care and spoiling he has been getting will get him through that time. We just do not want him to suffer.
Take care. Your kind words are very much appreciated!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.