Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Mom's Handsome Boy, Scooter
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > CyberShoulder Room
Muffins
Hi Everyone:

We need to do what is best for my mom's sweet love, Scooter wub.gif .

At present, my mom is at a Rehab/nursing home. She has had lots of falls since November, 2007 which have resulted in 911 calls, ambulance, hospitalization & Rehab/nursing home. She is not on the Dem/Alz floor anymore. The only way for her to stay safe is to have 24 hour nursing care, whether at home or where she is now. She wants to go home, but for now, she is okay with where she is now.

Now, little Scooter wub.gif came to my mom by way of my husband, Ben, back in 2002. My beloved girl, Ernestine wub.gif , went to Rainbow's Bridge on February 7, 2004. Because of her advanced age and health conditions, (in 2002), I felt that it wouldn't be good for her to take Scooter wub.gif in to live with us. I know that I was very apprehensive as well, because in all my life, I've never "introduced" cats. I've either had one or two, adopting one or both at the same time.

Ben and/or I see Scooter every day, and spend at least one hour with him, if not more. Of course, my mother doesn't want her cat to go anywhere - even though I tried to explain to her that it was selfish for him to be alone all day. We're only a 10 minute walk to my mom's apartment, so Scooter wub.gif is very close by.

When Ben adopted Scooter in 2000 (?), he was a shelter kitty who had suffered abuse with his previous "owners" . <<-- I use that term sooooo lightly! sad.gif mad.gif He was neglected, then abandoned.
I am (and have been) very concerned with the increase in stress that Scooter must feel when the emergency people (EMT's & fireman, etc...), come to my mother's house, work on her and take her away.

At present, we have two precious furkids, Ms. Lucy wub.gif & Mr. Yoster wub.gif . We have a very small apartment - I know that he wouldn't take up much room at all - I'll try and find a picture of him and post it smile.gif .
When I moved in here, I was told that I could only have one pet (up to 25 pounds). I KNEW that we were bringing home two from the shelter; in my head I just said to myself, "well, together they weigh less than 25 pounds".......

We need to do what is best for lil' Scooter.
I am more afraid of introducing three very different personalities. When we come home after visiting the lil' guy, they DO smell him on us.... (not sure if that helps at all).

If we were told to move out because of our kids (whether two or three), we would. Ben and I feel the same -- we'd be MUCH happier living together with our kids in ONE room, than we ever would if we had to give one of them up, (to comply with the one pet rule).

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. If you have any advice, it would be appreciated.

Much peace, happiness & love,

Denise & Ben

p.s. here's a photo of Scooter showing off his "Lion cut". He has a shave down twice yearly because his fur is like cotton and very difficult to brush.
LoveThem
Scooter looks so sweet. Like you, I don't have the experience of introductions either but I have read suggestions in the forum from those that have and hope you get some replies from them when they see your post.

I would want to bring Scooter home too. Not knowing anything about your 3 personalities...it is hard to suggest things since you said your apartment is small and it doesn't sound like you can close anyone off until they get used to each other.

By the way, as far as smell is ever concerned....if it helps in the future....whenever one of my 3 cats went to the vet..and came home with new smells...the other 2 did hisses and growls for 2 or 3 days. One day, I got some cornstarch, put some on my hands and rubbed it on their fur..,all 3 of them and announced to them...now you all smell alike. It worked. I knew if they licked it the cornstarch would not hurt them. What was funny was these were 3 black cats and they did look funny with the white cornstarch. Makes me smile to remember that one.

As far as Scooter...I guess I would want to bring him over in a carrier and see the reactions but I am sure others here have much better suggestions.

Good luck and I hope it all works out.
goliath

Hi Denise.............You may be surprised to find that Scooter might just fit in well. Especially since you often bring home his scent for Ms. Lucy and Mr. Yoster after being at your Mom's place.

In June, my neighbor who already has 2 cats, brought her Mother home to live with her because she is close to the end stages of cancer. Her Mom's cat, Roxie, came right along with her. During the first couple of days Brunis and Cherokee kept a close eye on Roxie. There were a few minor quabbles amongst the 3 of them.......nothing major.

My neighbor says she thinks the reason they adapted so well is because her cats were already used to having Roxie's smell on her. Also, her Mom came over often carrying Roxie's scent. They all get along fine except that Roxie is used to going outside and my neighbor won't let her because she doesn't think it's safe. But, that's another story. dry.gif

I think it's wonderful that you are bringing Scooter home where I know he'll be loved and well taken care of along with Mr. Yoster & Ms. Lucy. If your Mom has said she doesn't want Scooter to go anywhere, do you have to tell her? I know you have alot going on with health issues. But, you're right in saying Scooter needs a less stressful environment. Deep down I know your Mom knows too. wub.gif

I was concerned in April when we first brought Browser into our home and hearts. My Gidget wasn't particulary overjoyed around other animals ever. We just walked right into the house as though it was completely normal to be walking in with a puppy, bathed him, and then let Gidget see him and smell him. They've been the best of buddies since. We were shocked. ohmy.gif

God bless you and Ben for thinking of Scooter's happiness. Take care Denise. Peace be with you as you struggle in making decisions that are the best for everyone concerned, especially with your Mom. I know these times are difficult for you and I always keep you in my prayers.

Hugs of love,
Beth
LS Support
nice looking kitty, even with the summer doo happy.gif

if you are unable to separate even by a bathroom door (they will paw each other under the door to get to know one another), ive read you can take a towel and go around to each cat and rub them down a bit; then repeat the process so that all the personal odors are on each of them.
gillian
He's so lovely. I now have 3 cats, and none of the 3 are friends, but tolerate each other, cats being cats.

I'd bring Scooter home ... smile.gif

He is a handsome boy.
Muffins
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I really appreciate your care & concern. biggrin.gif .

I was concerned in April when we first brought Browser into our home and hearts. My Gidget wasn't particulary overjoyed around other animals ever. We just walked right into the house as though it was completely normal to be walking in with a puppy, bathed him, and then let Gidget see him and smell him. They've been the best of buddies since. We were shocked.

Beth, that REALLY IS AMAZING !! I love the way you chose to handle bringing lil' Browser wub.gif home.

Ben and/or I have continued with our 1 & 1/2 - 2 hour daily visits with Scooter wub.gif . He LOVES to talk tongue.gif . We sit there, giving him lots of attention & scratches (which he just can't get enough of happy.gif ), and we'll carry on conversations with him. He is really, really such a sweet love. After about 10 minutes of extreme scratching, he'll get on his back as if to say, "Alright, you can get busy on my tummy area now!! wink.gif . I'll bring over the camera today and get some of those shots.

My mom is scheduled to be released next Wednesday as she wants to return home. We do plan on visiting her tomorrow and I will gently discuss some things with her.

Enjoy this beautiful day.

Love, Denise
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.