Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bk Gets Physical Therapy
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
myhrtisbrkn
As you might expect, at Beekie's age he has a little arthritis. In his back left it is enough to impair his mobility significantly at times. And since cats can't take NSAIDS, I've been in search of a way to help him.

So I sent a tape of him walking to the physical therapist who treated Sadie after she went down. Just hoping he could recommend a book, refer me to a therapist in our area.

He worked out a whole regimen for us
. He used his own cat as a model ( poor baby ) and taped the exercises he wants Beek to do, including hydrotherapy...for this he fashioned a little kitty life-vest out of bubble wrap, and sent this along with written instructions, diagrams, and tapes. and when I called him to ask him what the charges would be he said..."no charge. It's my gift in memory of Sadie". I'm overwhelmed by his generosity. rolleyes.gif

So we put the life-vest on the old boy and put him in a warm tub. I was picturing myself going to the emergency room with punctures and gashes...BK.s big and he's very strong. After some initial protests he started to purr and paddle around like a Labrador retriever. I know that warm water must have felt good on his joints. now he's sleeping like a baby, smelling like his Dad's shampoo.

I think we will call it a day at that, and giving thanks for my intact skin...and start some of the other exercises tomorrow.
goliath
Since my livelihood lies in physical therapy I am delighted to hear BK is receiving some of the benefits exercise can bring. With regular ROM joints becomes smoother and move much more easily. Using ROM in water makes the exercise completely non weight bearing.

Your PT showed a wonderful gesture of kindness showered in love when he wrote and taped this program for you. The idea of using bubblewrap for a vest was quite creative. I hope Beek's movement improves quickly as he feels less pain in movement.

laugh.gif I'm glad to hear you weren't full of punctures when the deed was done. I was picturing this event in my mind as I read and thought "OH BOY......Is Dayna ever going to have her hands full!!!"

Keep up the good exercises with Beek. The experience and benefits will do you both alot of good.

Much love to both of you,
Beth
LoveThem
Dayna: What a wonderful story. It feels so good to read about the kindness of others. So many times we can receive the opposite from those who do not understand our feelings for our special ones.

And to read all your PT did...well, that just makes my day to think about it.

Thanks for the story and hugs to you and BK wub.gif

(There really are times I think cats are smarter than we think) rolleyes.gif

Judy
myhrtisbrkn
Beth and Judy,

I've always thought BK. knew when people were trying to help him. ( except when it comes to giving him pills ).

We're working on proprioception tonight...I'll keep you posted. wink.gif

love from us,
Dayna
myhrtisbrkn
Well. proprioception training turned in to a circus. Try telling a cat that the big, shiny ball is not to be batted around and leaped upon and " killed", but I want you

to balance your front-end on it and push with your back feet. " You want me to do what!?"

Well Amos knows how to do that, since I've been working with him on my physio-ball preparatory to agility training So he went and got the ball and pushed

himself around the room on it as if to say " See cat, it's easy". BK. decided to take exception to Amos' mere existence, and spat at him and chased him out

of the room. We finally decided some simple range of motion exercises would nave to do for the moment. Afterwards BK. Stalked off to bed totally disgruntled.

Charles and I laughed ourselves silly for an hour.

More later,
Dayna
goliath
QUOTE: Charles and I laughed ourselves silly for an hour.

I can understand why you and Charles laughed so hard. Just sitting here reading about your circus training with Bk had me in stitches. laugh.gif It sometimes can be funny enough when I teach my patients to retrain proprioceptors. Often when I ask them to march on a cushion or use the baps board (disc with a ball on the bottom), they say "How hard could that possibly be?" I just say, well.............hop on up there and see for yourself. dry.gif laugh.gif

I hope you create a way for Bk to learn this. Perhaps Amos will be kind of enough to give BK a few more lessons! It's stories such as yours that make our memories tomorrow. Each day is a brand new gift to make it the best one ever.

Take care and fun with your furkids, wub.gif
Beth
LoveThem
Love your updates, Dayna.

Interesting that Amos knows how to do what you want BK to do. Perhaps having Amos do it in front of BK as much as possible will work. Just tell BK to pretend Amos is not in the room but you know BK will watch Amos.

Really reminds me of my Little Girl as a kitten using a scratching post with the 2 boys watching....then they started using it as they saw her do (girl and boys never got along either).

Then Little Guy and the Little Girl would come over to the couch and lay in my lap when I was watching TV. Keeper (Little Guy's twin brother didn't do that but he was always watching me pet whoever was in my lap). One day he decided to do it too after watching for quite a while.

THey do pick up from one another even if they are not buddy-buddy. Encourage Amos to do it in front of BK as much as you can. You may be surprised that BK may figure...well if Amos can do it...so can I. cats have egos, right?

Good luck...will be watching for your updates.

Judy
goliath
Hi Dayna,

I came to visit and inquire as to how BK's physical therapy is going. Has Amos been kind enough to give him a few more lessons yet?

Hope all is well. I always keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Much love with warm hugs, wub.gif
Beth
goliath
Hi Dayna,

I just wanted to stop by and let you know I have been thinking of you and BK lately. There are a couple of ideas a couple of my friends and I came up with for BK's therapy that may make it a bit easier on you.

The first one is to put baby premie baby booties on his paws. Try all 4 at a time, then 3, switch it up a little by changing the number of paws wearing them.

Another way that may help from a different angle is putting one of those cones on his head. That also helps coordination as well as moving the neck through ROM. His eyes and mind will also benefit because he will have to think and look a little harder to see you because he knows you are right there with him.

Sweet dreams Dayna, wub.gif
Beth
myhrtisbrkn
Beth,

Those are great ideas. I will certainly try them when BK. gets well, but at the moment he is not feeling very well. ( Hence I have been out of touch and I apologize to everyone). He hasn't quite been himself since late Sun.I ran him to the emergency vets, night before last, because he was circling and I thought he was having a stroke. The E-vet said he wasn't sure...that true strokes are very rare in cats, and that they often recover completely from them.
He gave him some valium, watched him over night and sent him home. Yesterday our regular vet ran some tests, which we are waiting on results for, and said he thinks it might be vestibular disease.

I can always tell when BK. doesn't feel well because he wants to wrap himself around my neck and stay there. He's still doing that...he's eating, no more circling, but because of his age, i always worry a lot over any indication he's not well.

More later,
Dayna
goliath
QUOTE (myhrtisbrkn @ Jul 2 2008, 08:07 PM) *
I can always tell when BK. doesn't feel well because he wants to wrap himself around my neck and stay there. He's still doing that...he's eating, no more circling, but because of his age, i always worry a lot over any indication he's not well.

I'm so sorry to hear BK isn't feeling well Dayna. sad.gif I will keep both of you in my prayers. You know BK so well and I certainly can understand why he would want to stay as close to you as possible when he isn't feeling well. Kinda like when I was a little girl and didn't feel well, all I wanted was my Mommy. Sometimes even now I want her when I'm down, but she lives in Heaven, along with my Dad, and Our Father. wub.gif

Please keep us posted on how BK is doing as well as yourself. You are often in my thoughts and always in my prayers.

Much love,
Beth
myhrtisbrkn
HI Beth,

BK. is better today. He's not very strong, but he's eating and finally sleeping in his own little bed. The doc looked at all the tests and the only thing he found that we didn't already know is that his heart is slightly enlarged, not enough for medication just yet, but he changed the schedule of his fluid therapy such that he gets fewer mls. more often. His precious little heart has been beating a long time, and his vet thinks that when I gave him the full 150 mls on Sunday, it was more fluid than his heart could handle. So he gave us some lasix, in case.

I wonder if I'm doing the right thing sometimes, by keeping the dear old boy with me, but he leaps on his food like lion on a gazelle...he clearly enjoys his catnip, his naps in the sun, his warm baths, and his hydrotherapy. I don't think he's ready to quit yet, so I'm not going to give up on him.

Heaven knows I want my Mommy too. Bk. is, in a sense, a living link to her. The two them had been living alone together in mom's little house for 14 years before Mom's last illness. I keep thinking she will come for him when it is time.

'Til then we are hanging in there. I greatly appreciate your kind thoughts and prayers.

Love to you and the Chi angels, wub.gif
Dayna

Ps. I told, David, Sadies' ,PT. about the baby-bootie, idea...he thinks you're a genius.
goliath
QUOTE (myhrtisbrkn @ Jul 3 2008, 02:07 PM) *
I wonder if I'm doing the right thing sometimes, by keeping the dear old boy with me, but he leaps on his food like lion on a gazelle...he clearly enjoys his catnip, his naps in the sun, his warm baths, and his hydrotherapy. I don't think he's ready to quit yet, so I'm not going to give up on him.

I wouldn't give up either Dayna. As long as he's eager to eat, nap, and does his exercise there's nothing wrong at all in keeping him going. Just like when we get older we have less stamina and nap a little more than we did when we were younger. LOL I love a good nap when I have time to take one, especially in my hammock out in the sun.

Ps. I told, David, Sadies' ,PT. about the baby-bootie, idea...he thinks you're a genius.
QUOTE by Dayna

My friends at work wish you and BK well. Several of us actually tossed different ideas around about how you could get BK to exercise in different ways. My boss thought we were all a little weird............but he has no idea about what it's like to love an animal so much. I hope the booties work out well. You'll have to snap a pic or a video for me to see. I really would be interested in seeing how any of BK's exercises work on tape.

Have a great weekend Dayna. Lots of family are coming over tomorrow. This will be the first family gathering at my house since Goliath passed away. 4th of July was always hard for him because he was afraid of fireworks.

Take care and give BK and Amos kisses from me,
Beth
myhrtisbrkn
Thanks for everything, Beth. And please thank your coworkers for me. Which reminds me I haven't yet told you how sorry I am about the one you lost.I don't know what my family has on tap for tomorrow...but I imagine I'll still be sticking pretty close to my kitty. I love the 4th, but I can enjoy a quiet one for once.

The jingling of Goliath's tags...how wonderful. That was " the still small voice", that takes away fear and gives comfort. I've heard it myself from time to time...more on that later.

Love from my family to yours,
Dayna
LoveThem
Dayna

I agree with you. BK is showing a very good quality of life. As they get older, we just have to be more watchful for any changes that they need a little help. But other than that...it sounds like you are doing wonderfully and BK is doing just fine.

Hugs to you and your family, especially BK...a special hug and kiss to that boy.

Judy
myhrtisbrkn
Hi Judy,

He's very much better today, it's almost like the work we've been doing didn't show for a while...then all of a sudden he's showing this big %%ulative gain.

It's very hard on me when he has a bad spell, but I continue to be amazed by the resilience he shows at his age. So I'll give him a big ug and kiss from you.

Love to you and Lucky,
Dayna
LoveThem
Dayna

Glad to hear about BK's rebounds. These babies are a lot tougher than we think, I guess. Must be all that unconditional love they are so full of that gives them strength.

I'm glad you gave BK a big hug and a kiss from me. I would reach through the screen and do it myself...if we could. (sigh).

Bless his beautiful soul and spirit!

Judy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.