Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 9..8...7...6..5..we Have Ignatius!
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > New Beginnings
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Jon730
The Cat Shuttle was launced at 12:15 Local Time and re-entered on schedule at 13:00. The payload will be brought to Inbound Decontamination at the Vet at 14:15 Local Time.

All systems are nominal.

wub.gif

wub.gif

wub.gif
katzen11
welcome, Iggy ! wub.gif
wishing you and your new family a long and happy life.
Eva
LoveThem
OMG, Jon

Your new photos just prove Iggy looks so precious..words cannot do him justice!

Oh, Boy, Iggy....you are now in a perfect place...there is going to be a lot of love surrounding you and your sweet unconditional love will create a happiness where you are..that is priceless!

Congratulations, Jon..your interview could not have been more successful.

I'm glad YOU passed the interview! tongue.gif

Thanks for posting these pictures so quickly. We look forward to more pics and hearing all about your new bundle of joy...What a delight to see him!

Jon730

Your new photos just prove Iggy looks so precious..words cannot do him justice!

Oh, Boy, Iggy....you are now in a perfect place...there is going to be a lot of love surrounding you and your sweet unconditional love will create a happiness where you are..that is priceless!

Iggy is back from his big scary day! The vet loved him, and one of the technicians ran out to the car to get her camera and took many pictures of him. Iggy WAS OK with them till they drew the blood sample. (All tests were negative.) The he faced away from them, curled into a ball on the examining table, and fell asleep, til they retiurned with the results.
As soon as I got him home and released him from the Cat Shuttle™, he started playing and purring, so there were no hard feelinhgs. SLOWLY over the next week, we can introduce him to The Girls.

Iggy has the brightest pinkest nose and soles of his feet that I have even seen on a cat! It just made the Vet Staff melt. The vet was one of the senior ones there, and has a weakness for cats, and adores our Siamese, so Iggy had good political connections going in!
forduffy
Congratulations, Jon and Iggy! I could not be happier for you, Jon! Best of luck with your little bundle of joy!
Jon730
Iggy's Big Day!

All tests at theVet's were negative! So this is likely true for the entire litter! He now has his first shots. The Senior Vet fell in love with him, and he was a huge hit with the Staff. One of the technicians ran off to get her camera, and took many pictures of him.

He was tired when he got home..first time in a car, two trips, then the second involved needles. He mostly slept, and did not eat much. My niece visited last night, and was swept off her feet at how beautiful he is.
My niece lives with a Cat Lady for a landlord, and when she was in college worked as a Vet Assistant, so she is cat-wise.

This morning, however, he decided it was time to Raise Hell. And me. He is eating (And eating), and using the litterbox like a grownup.
The other cats are curious and know Something Is Up.

The Vet looked at his legs and the ratios of the bone sizes and expects he will be a BIG cat!

He has a wonderful disposition, and purrs like a chain saw! If no one steals him (As a few threatened) I will give him a wonderful life...He is precious.
Jon730
GROAN! OK, I have it bad.

Remember all the new parents who show you baby pictures, as if you had never seen one before? biggrin.gif
Well, THIS is worse.

Home Movies!!! Converted to WMV format from the camera original AVI to save bandwidth.

FOOD ATTACK!!!

Purring Demonstration 1
Purring Demonstration#2
Playtime!

wub.gif
LoveThem
Oh, Jon, I saw all your movies. What an absolute bundle of joy. If I need a smile I will know to come here and just play these over and over. I can't see enough of Iggy. I am so glad you did set up that interview. He is so teeny tiny. And loves to play and eat and play and eat and play and eat......

Hugs to both of you. I just can't stop smiling. Thank you for a wonderful morning surprise!
wub.gif

Jon730
Hugs to both of you. I just can't stop smiling. Thank you for a wonderful morning surprise!

I admit that when I first logged on here in the depths of my grief I had initially questioned to myself whether it was appropraite to have this thread.

Now I see that the reminder of the joys a new friend delivers serves to remind us all of the best times with our friends who have gone to the Bridge. Our losses are a recent memory and we wonder if we will ever be happy again. I am still miserable about Miles, and always miss her..but seeing Iggy act like Miles did when she fiorst came in gives me hope of another wonderful relationship, and reminds me of the early joys.

So, since all Iggy's labs were clean we decided to do a short two minute introduction today.

Well, there were two reactions:

WHO IS THIS COMMONER, TO STARE SO BOLDY AT OUR ROYAL SELF????

And:

Murphy is somewhat less gracious, and NOT PLEASED. And the feeling is mutual.
katzen11
QUOTE (Jon730 @ May 14 2008, 03:55 PM) *
GROAN! OK, I have it bad.

Remember all the new parents who show you baby pictures, as if you had never seen one before? biggrin.gif
Well, THIS is worse.

hi, Jon, must be different with kitty-pictures(-movies).
i love to see them them over and over again.
Iggy will keep you busy for a very long time.
best wishes
Eva

goliath
QUOTE (Jon730 @ May 14 2008, 12:48 PM) *
Now I see that the reminder of the joys a new friend delivers serves to remind us all of the best times with our friends who have gone to the Bridge. Our losses are a recent memory and we wonder if we will ever be happy again. I am still miserable about Miles, and always miss her..but seeing Iggy act like Miles did when she fiorst came in gives me hope of another wonderful relationship, and reminds me of the early joys.

New friends bring new smiles. Though I too miss my Goliath so very much, Browser has brought so much laughter and fun into the house. The side benefit of having Browser is that he has brought out a wonderful and playful side of Gidget. That's a miracle in itself.

It's great Jon to hear you so excited and upbeat with little Iggy. After having had your vet examine him though, it sounds like one day he will become a biggy Iggy.

Enjoy! tongue.gif
forduffy
I love those movies so much!!!!! I can watch them over and over.
Jon730
Thank you for the pictures. But most important you helped me. As you know I miss Rassy cat. I think about him all the time. And here I am with two new guys. Your words described the way I was feeling exactly. And yet, I am glad that I have Mario and whiskers. These two came to me as young cats. I got Rassy when he was three months old. I too am hoping for a wonderful relationship again. So we always miss, but it doesn't mean that we should let the past control us. So like you, I am working on my relationships with my two boys.

Well, this helps me as well.
First, I worry about the gloating tone of my posts hurting bereaved people...It is almost like laughing at a funeral, and that what was bothering me.

But I know they made ME happy. Yet, last night I took a bath- And was sad, because Miles always insisted on keeping me company and "Guarding" me. She was so insistant that if I did not bring her in, she would BREAK in and open the door and let the cold air in, and disrupt my relaxation. Then, afterward I went to bed in Iggy's room..and thought, "Iggy did not know her. He smells her in here, everywhere, though. Should I be happy? If I am not it is NOT his fault."
Then, he started clowning around, and laid on his back with his little white-gloved paws flailing around reaching for me, and I had to smile. Then he purred and purred the way Miles used to.

He did his best.
He is not her, but it is not his fault.
He tries. So I get into the spirit of the thing. It helps.
I worried about coldly "Replacing" a favorite pet, but this is not like that. He is not her.

I have fences to mend with Sam and Murphy, though. Miles always dominated them, and Murphy had an expression on her face, "Oh NO! Not this $%^& again!!"
goliath
QUOTE (Jon730 @ May 14 2008, 08:04 PM) *
First, I worry about the gloating tone of my posts hurting bereaved people...It is almost like laughing at a funeral, and that what was bothering me.

At first I was worried too Jon. But then I got to thinking about it and decided that the reason LS has so many different topic areas is so we can post about more than grief. Having a new furlove is certainly something to rejoice about. They help us find some joy and happiness. It's a win win for both sides.

Bringing a new puppylove into our home was good medicine for all of us as well as Browser. smile.gif
Jon730
It's great Jon to hear you so excited and upbeat with little Iggy. After having had your vet examine him though, it sounds like one day he will become a biggy Iggy.

A Biggy Piggy Iggy.
I read that a growing kitten can add 20 grams a day.
Well, he is trying, and I have to go out shopping for cat and kitten food tomorrow.
140 Grams a week more cat. More than a pound a month or so!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOOK!

"FIGURE 1 Daily weight gain of male kittens fed three purified control diets with complete amino acids only (AA Control), with amino acids and untreated casein (C Control) and with amino acids and heated casein (HC Control), and kittens fed five purified experimental diets with untreated casein and no added lysine (-Lys/+C), with heated casein and no added lysine (-Lys/+HC), and three diets with increasing levels of added lysine and no added casein (0.4%Lys, 0.55%Lys and 0.7%Lys). Values are least-squares means ± SEM, n = 16. Values with different letters were statistically different, P 0.05.
"

In four years he will be big enough to eat ME. I know, they slow down after kittenhood, but his daddy is enormous. And I had to joke about it...If you saw the movie of him eating.

Oh yeah. Add Cat litter to the list....One thing I miss about dogs, even small dogs, is that you can take them outside to empty them..... laugh.gif
LoveThem
QUOTE (Jon730 @ May 14 2008, 08:04 PM) *

Oh, Jon. You are not "gloating" at all. You are being happy and expressing that happiness and joy...the wonderful things we experienced at the beginning of our relationship with our special one no longer with us. Those were the best of times. Our babies taught us that and they would never want us to be deprived of times such as these.

No way is it laughing at a funeral...no way, Jon!

That is why there are these Sections especially New Beginnings....that is so wonderful to visit. We have had more than one baby in our lifetime and each one was so very very special and we would never not have opened our home and heart to the next one time and time again. These new babies need us just as much as we need them. Our special ones being taken from us is not anything we can control. All we can do is be glad we had them in our lives and just treasure the time that was given to us to have them with us.

We can't go through life being depressed forever about something we can't do anything about and our babies would never ever want to see us that way at all. It is a tribute to them and what they gave us that we are able to go on and smile and laugh. None of our current happiness compares to what we had but as we have that no more, we must create new memories and of course, they will be happy and healthy and good ones....that's what the beginning of a bond is all about. I love the photos of Iggy. I love your stories.
I just want to scoop him up and hug him myself.

If one wants to cry there is a Section they can vent there but if one wants to be happy about something..that is not a crime...that's a start of healing. We will never forget our loved ones. We will miss them forever. We will have times we will cry. We will have times we think of them and smile. Everything is meaningful to us.

But what we have learned from them is what it is like to experience that special unconditional love they showed us time and time again. It is too hard to go without it and I think it is a tremendous tribute to our special ones to open and hearts and home to one who needs us just as much as we need them. Our babies are angels now watching over us and waiting for the day our souls will all be together. they gave us a beautiful gift of love and when we pass that along to a new one...it really is a tribute to the ones who taught us about this in the first place.

So..share, Jon and do not hold back. It helps so many here to see those precious photos. We love to see and hear things that either make us laugh or smile big time. Iggy does that and your joy in having him is just contagious.

We are not just here to share our pain with each other....that is something that is special all its own and it has a special place here. But we are also here to share our joy also. As is said...Laughter is the best Medicine... and anything we do to make ourselves feel better is the right thing to do and when we reach out to each other and share wonderful feelings...those are moments to treasure.
I would rather smile than cry. Crying is easy. Smiling is not so easy but when we help each other to do that....well, our angels sitting on that big Rainbow are just feeling our happiness with us....only their tails must be twitching...that always made me smile to see and it makes me smile to think about.

Bring it on, Jon...you don't have enough pictures to tire us out...the more we see..the more we want to see.

Hugs, Iggy...you darling little devil..you are such a love and are full of fun..That is a sight to see..we love it! wub.gif

goliath
QUOTE (Jon730 @ May 14 2008, 08:16 PM) *
In four years he will be big enough to eat ME. I know, they slow down after kittenhood, but his daddy is enormous. And I had to joke about it...If you saw the movie of him eating.

Speaking of movies, Im pretty sure I saw a cat on the sci-fi channel that was about the size of the future Iggy's body composition given your careful calculations there Jon. laugh.gif He may just eat you alive someday..........and you undoubtedly will love every minute of it.

Have fun and keep bringing the pics and stories..............I love it! biggrin.gif
Jon730
Hugs, Iggy...you darling little devil..you are such a love and are full of fun..That is a sight to see..we love it!
wub.gif

I wish I had brought the camera to bed last night!
It has been decades since I had a kitten, and I forgot what they are like when they are RESTED. Since Tuesday was his Big Day, he was tired and slept a lot.
Last night, however...
I was trying to read. He discovered the "Attack the feet under the blankets" game. We played this for some time.
Then he got really excited and totally looned out, running all around the room like a racquet ball. Everything on every surface was moved or knocked over. The laundry basket was overturned and looted and all the carefully rolled-up socks became projectiles.
Then he ate. Then he got his head stuck in a canvas boat shoe, and the shoe was running around with little white feet scurrying, like a turtle on dexedrine. I rescued him.

Lights Out.
He took up a Guard Station next to my head. At some point I was awakened by him licking my nose and purring...NO, I do not do cocaine, not do I snort catnip. (Like he NEEDS a stimulant! My wife bought him a catnip toy, but I think I will wait till he's 21 in Cat Years.)

I am not sure how well I slept but he seems fine.
I am worried that though he is eating well, he does not seem to be drinking much water...and since he is a male...well..
He is eating a lot of wet food though.
He certainly ACTS healthy to say the least. This will take some getting used to. All my old used cats played, and still do.
But not at these energy levels.

Now I remember what a kitten is like. It also shows me why everyone wants a kitten, and pass by the older cats in shelters, and this makes me sad. I learned that kittens are in so much demand that the lovely lady who gave me Iggy told me people were calling offering to "Take the whole litter".

She seems certain they intended to sell them to shops or individuals. My wife told me of similar things when she had that brief scandalous stint at managing a Pet Center decades ago.
Kitten Pimps. mad.gif
Jon730
Bring it on, Jon...you don't have enough pictures to tire us out...the more we see..the more we want to see.

This will make you regret it! A sleep-deprived father! The obligatory Fathers' Day Photo! I promise, no more of these! Cat Only hereafter. laugh.gif

LoveThem
I know it has been 17 years since mine were kittens but I remember at first feeding kitten food that was like oatmeal...something dry soaked in water so it was not dry at all. For real food...they got wet all the time when they graduated to not-kitten food. I wouldn't worry about him drinking water if he is getting wet food. I don't know that they need dry at all. I seldom saw mine drink water but I was told that was natural because with wet food, the need for water was less and they knew instinctly when they wanted water.

My one boy, Little Guy, was about 9 years old when he had a problem with dry. I found out later on x-ray he had a small bladder and that's probably why he could get blocked up. At that time, my parents had passed away and we had to drive to another State each week to take care of emptying the house and everything that went on. We did this for 6 months. So while we were gone, we would load up dishes with only dry for the 3 cats. Actually about 2 months after we stopped this 100% dry, was when my boy first got blocked which I could tell cause he kept going in a box and coming out without doing anything and would walk from box to box and back again so I knew there was a problem. I had a mobile vet visit and she put in an IV and flushed out his system and he was fine. If Iggy is getting either mostly wet or maybe also some dry that water was added to, he should be just fine. I wondered about not seeing mine drink water and was told with that kind of diet they didn't have to drink a lot of water and since it wasn't often they wanted it, I just missed seeing them drink. They would only be at the water dish a short time anyway when I did see them.

I had bought a pocket book on Kittens and I still have it. That helped me figure out what to do for them. You can also ask your vet or ask a gal at the vet to ask the vet when he has a moment, explaining taking care of a kitten seems all new all over again.

By the way, the adventures of you two that you just posted simply had me laughing all over the place. Thanks, Jon. What a wonderful way to start my morning...with laughter. I also love to come back and reread these stories and just laugh all over again.

You mentioned catnip.....I tried a catnip scratching board with my kittens...they loved it...then...they started attacking each other so no more catnip for them. With Iggy's energy level....catnip just might double it...I don't know. I can just see...catnip for Iggy and vitamins for Jon......LOL

I also think I remember that kittens want attention all the time...they seem to never get tired but then all of a sudden they are napping after they totally exhaust us..and...cat naps do not always last very long....they are boundless balls of energy...bless their hearts! What an absolute joy they are!

Thanks again , Jon for keeping up the sharing with us. We never can hear enough fun stuff and we do need that in our lives.
Jon730
By the way, the adventures of you two that you just posted simply had me laughing all over the place. Thanks, Jon. What a wonderful way to start my morning...with laughter. I also love to come back and reread these stories and just laugh all over again.

I have not REALLY laughed since Miles died, so last night was cathartic. Or catalytic.

This morning after I had posted I could not stay away, so went in to take more pictures and movies. We played Feet Attack for a while, then he ate, then impersonated an elephant in the litter box. I opened a window and laid back.

He climbed into my elbow and fell fast asleep. That is the last thing I remembered for almost two hours.

I have to convert another movie before I post it, but here is his Day 3 Portrait. His eyes are turning green or gold..the kittie Blue is leaving.

As soon as I walk into the room he starts purring, then I am stuck there. There are WORSE fates! laugh.gif
forduffy
Jon, He is absolutely beautiful!
E.M
Well, well, well Jon, what can I say?

You look every bit the proud father and rightly so......Iggy has such a masterly look about him behind all that cuteness, I think you will find a very wise head on those little shoulders of his.

As Love Them so rightly said do not be overly concerned about him not drinking water if he is eating wet food. One piece of advice if you don't know this already, is to stick to the same brand of wet food till at least he is a lot older and his digestive system isn't so delicate as switching brands can have disasterous results on the rear end if you know what I mean. Same brand, different varieties are ok and when you progress from kitten to adult food try mixing a bit of the adult food in with the kitten food to begin with to give the digestive system time to adjust as adult food is very rich.

You could also try a little kitten milk half diluted with water in a coloured bowl (not white) every now and then if you are still concerned. Personally I would stay away from dry food until at least 6 months old or until the kidneys are fully developed and even then I would only give a small amount as a treat or a sprinkling of 'crunchy topping' as I call it.

So is M as smitten as you and a proud mommy, will she be picking up her paint brush in earnest...?!

Keep those picture and videos rolling, I think we all expect AT LEAST one picture a day!!!

When Iggy settles down you will be looking at him sleeping for hours and just willing him to wake up and start running round the house again. I must admit with my two I had forgotten how much sleep a kitten needs to recharge those batteries that I just couldn't wait for them to wake up again and entertain us. It didn't take long for my two to work out where our bed was and head up stairs once the lights were turned out but yes the first week or so they don't realise that when we go to bed we want to sleep! Or that at 4am in the morning is not our usual time for waking up and playing!

Love the meet and greet pictures, the tail bushed out, I'm so big and scary look is cracking!

Wishing you many, many more days of pure, unadulterated bliss with Iggy and his massive chainsaw purr!!!!

Jon730
When Iggy settles down you will be looking at him sleeping for hours and just willing him to wake up and start running round the house again. I must admit with my two I had forgotten how much sleep a kitten needs to recharge those batteries that I just couldn't wait for them to wake up again and entertain us. It didn't take long for my two to work out where our bed was and head up stairs once the lights were turned out but yes the first week or so they don't realise that when we go to bed we want to sleep! Or that at 4am in the morning is not our usual time for waking up and playing!

Last night he looned out again, with so much energy I was afraid he would hurt himself, literally bouncing off the walls! THEN he discovered the Cat Trick we all know....Getting up on the high dresser and JUMPING onto the bed. Once again, I was trying to read, and once again, I gave up. I turned out the light, and he took up what I guess will be his permanent sleepling place, on the pillow next to my head. I bought him a nice new cat bed, but he spurned it immediately. Waking in the middle of the night to a warm, actually hot, purring puffball is just the thing an insomniac like me needs.

I just realized this morning that Iggy is truly a dream-come-true, because here is what I posted March 24, in the depth of my loss of Milesy:

"In a week or two, when I am contacted by the Rescue Society I will conduct interviews. I will make eye contact and ask, "Who wants to win the lottery and be spoiled rotten?".
One will run forward and jump into my arms. (This has happened before!)
From that moment on, the New Hire and I will be intensely imprinting our personalities on each other. We will become an item."

Well, that is exactly what happened. The Kitty Lady brought up the basket of kittens, I made the announcement, and he popped out, climbed my leg (ouch), sat on my shoulder, climbed on top of my head, and tried to get into my shirt pocket! And he was only five weeks old at the time.

So if I seem overboard, he was already a special cat before he even was hired. Or Hired Me. He has not disappointed me-he has astonished me. He is SO happy to see me. When I walk in he shows off every crazy trick, then rolls around and purrs. I melt. I mean to go in and get a shirt, etc., then cannot leave, and when I do, I realize I have forgotten why I went in that room, and come out empty handed.

I think I am a Cat Person.
Muffins
Hi Jon!

CONGRATULATIONS on being adopted by handsome, precious Iggy wub.gif . He really seems to be a bundle of joy and I am very, very happy for all of you. I enjoy seeing the photos and movies too, and look forward to many more rolleyes.gif .

I think I am a Cat Person.

Without question, it seems that you are wink.gif ---- We really ARE the lucky ones, aren't we? wub.gif

As Love Them so rightly said do not be overly concerned about him not drinking water if he is eating wet food.

I agree - Here's a link to Wellness kitten food, http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_wellness_can_kitten.html . It shows the ingredients, guaranteed an*alysis, etc..., and shows that there is not more than 78% moisture.

A book that I HIGHLY recommend to everyone that is owned by a furcat is, "Your Cat", and is written by Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins. Here is a link to her book -- http://all-about-cats.com/your_cat.htm

Early last year I went to her website, http://yourdiabeticcat.com/ , (one of our precious kids has diabetes, Ms. Lucy wub.gif ), and that is where I learned about her book.

Looking forward to more pictures & movies, Jon.

Take good care,

Denise
Jon730
Looking forward to more pictures & movies, Jon.

O Good! An excuse to visit him! laugh.gif

First, a film clip!
IGGY DISCOVERS THE LASER

"I am going to EAT your FEET!"

AND:
Announcing, the first cat here who is not afraid of this thing!

"As soon as I am through tuning, I will warm up with
"Tossing the Feathers" from "Riverdance".

"I'll bet a fiddle of gold against your soul..."
katzen11
QUOTE (E.M @ May 16 2008, 10:12 AM) *
Keep those picture and videos rolling, I think we all expect AT LEAST one picture a day!!!

When Iggy settles down you will be looking at him sleeping for hours and just willing him to wake up and start running round the house again.

hi, Jon,
the last kitty i got, 3 months old, was MISCHO (1988-2000).
she and me were enjoying her baby-time, and for a couple years i had those "hamburger-arms".
FELICE, ( see my avatar ) was pretty old, when she joined me, ( born ?, with me 2003-2006) but still looking and acting amazing young, till the last few months.
so JIMMY KLINGER, my buddy, soon celebrating his 13th birthday, spend his first 14 months in a cage in a rescue-center.
and i get tears in my eyes, when i am thinking about how he spent his "childhood".
but the ladies, who took care of him, must have been very nice,
and JIM is such a devoted, lovable, playfull cat. biggrin.gif
yes, the better species than humans.
thanks for sharing IGGY wub.gif with us
Eva
Jon730
the last kitty i got, 3 months old, was MISCHO (1988-2000).
she and me were enjoying her baby-time, and for a couple years i had those "hamburger-arms".

Do you remember the scene in the "Godfather" movie, where the guy woke up in terror, blood all over the sheets, and the horse's head in the bed?

It was like that this morning.
At 5:00 AM, Iggy announced "PLAYTIME!!!" and popped out lik,e a Jack-In-The-Box.
But sometime during the night he got affectionate and scratched my lip. I never woke up, but there was blood all over my pillow and the sheets. I never woke up till PLAYTIME.

He is crazy. wub.gif I love him. I think I will go bring him more food so he will sleep. And I am going out to the camper to take a nap.

This is what happens when someone is "married" to a sick old cat for twelve years-They forget what a healthy kitten is like!
Jon730
I had just written a post about kitten food, but Iggy has his first day out of his room, and he got onto the keyboard and somehow it's gone.... wub.gif
Jon730
QUOTE (Jon730 @ May 17 2008, 11:12 AM) *
I had just written a post about kitten food, but Iggy has his first day out of his room, and he got onto the keyboard and somehow it's gone.... wub.gif

Piggy Iggy has gained 45.4 Grams (.1 Lb) in 4 Days, reaching a Jumbo 2.6 pounds!
Cool! I have more cat than I did on Tuesday! Dividends! laugh.gif

On a dry weight basis, he has eaten 125 grams of food, as protein, fats, and carbohydrates. This does not aproach the published weight gains of ~20 grams/day, though, in an optimized high protein diet.
I'll go to Petco and read labels. The supermarket only carries kitten food in Friskies and Iam's brands.
Iam's was involved in the recall, so they are dead, in my book. I have a copy of the Recall Blacklist I will bring with me.
I don't care if I have to go into the city to a five-star restaurant and order foie gras, this cat is NOT going to have what happened to my male Siamese thirty years ago. (LONG memory, huh?) mad.gif
LoveThem
You said: They forget what a healthy kitten is like!

So true. Yours is only 2.6 pounds...the 2 year old shelter kitty I adopted is 10 pounds and has kitty energy galore!

Seriously, if you want to see some of what you are in for....look at Ken's thread here about his twin kittens Elvira and Ellen.
See what a treat you are in for.

Iggy is probably saying "You ain't seen nuthin' yet" tongue.gif

5 AM sounds about right for youth. We've been up then pretty much daily since December when we got Lucky.

What's fun is when they get you up and it is play, play, play. Then once you are up...they will take a nap and you sit there
not sleepy anymore and know that they are just resting up for next time. They look so innocent sleeping there and you would think they are so exhausted they won't move for a week. WRONG!!!!

Be careful about sleeping...these babies don't know what they are doing....don't know if your lip was accidental kitty claws or what but be sure he doesn't think your face is a toy cause it seems like everything is a toy to these babies. They are so full of energy and curiosity and want to explore everything.

I know at the shelter where I got Lucky, the gal there who was fostering twin kittens said one of them was so cute that he liked to nip on her eyelid. Cute to her but a bad habit starting I thought. I would not want to sleep with that one watching me. They absolutely do not know what they are doing.

Now as I read one of your recent posts...a 2.6 pound bundle of joy gets the house and someone that does not weigh 2.6 pounds gets the camper........sounds about right when a delightful furbaby (and I do mean "baby") moves in! tongue.gif

He really is adorable, Jon. Love your diary here. ONE-TWO-THREE-FOUR! WHO DO WE ADORE?? IGGY! IGGY!

Jon730
FAMILY DAY PICTURES!
He was at large in the main house for the first time today! I just peeked in and for once, he was asleep! We ground up some freshly roasted turkey and had a party in the livng room for all the cats, thinking the festive occassion might keep the stress low. it did, a little, and Murphy got up on the couch and laid down about five feet from him..but Iggy had stage fright.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy Spies on him:

Now they can't see me!

It's a big world out there!

Admire my whiskers!

Miles was the last cat who did this. Iggy carries on the torch!

I am superior!

That was nice Turkey!! *BURP*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am going to sleep now!
Jon730
One piece of advice if you don't know this already, is to stick to the same brand of wet food till at least he is a lot older and his digestive system isn't so delicate as switching brands can have disasterous results on the rear end if you know what I mean.

I see what you mean. Now. It's not really a disaster, it's just...well...if it were worse, I could use him as a bagpipe. The windows will be open tonight, pollen allergies or not.

From Friskies to a can of Iam's. I will take the rest back to the store. We did not know Iam's was one of the places involved in the Gluten Recall, anyway, so do not want it. I was planning on a trip to the local Petco, anyway.

He's in a great mood, regardless.
Cats.
He probably thinks it's funny. laugh.gif
Jon730
so JIMMY KLINGER, my buddy, soon celebrating his 13th birthday, spend his first 14 months in a cage in a rescue-center.
and i get tears in my eyes, when i am thinking about how he spent his "childhood".
but the ladies, who took care of him, must have been very nice,
and JIM is such a devoted, lovable, playfull cat.

I wonder if the ones who have bad starts are extra grateful when they land in a loving home? This was the case with Miles.
I always loved animals, but Miles was the one who taught me what an extra special devoted one was.
forgeorge
Thankyou for that...It helps ease the pain a little.And believe me...we need it.Happiness to you both!
Jon730
Thankyou for that...It helps ease the pain a little.And believe me...we need it.Happiness to you both!

Time heals all, a little. I was where you are not long ago, and at that time I felt that thinking of a "New Hire" was disrespectful of Milesy.
But they are all so different, Miles can only always be my special Cat Wife. There will never be another.
She worked hard to make me happy, even when she was not well.

Until last Tuesday, I was sad much of the time..I began to laugh when Crazy Iggy came. I was just talking to my wife about it, about how much healthier it is to laugh before going to sleep.

Today's Home Movies:

Oh NO! Iggy found the Big Cats' Catnip!!!
It really did not make much of a noticable difference in him, I guess.

LOONEY TUNES!

Iggy Goes Nuts.
goliath
These videos of yours are hysterical Jon. I especially liked the catnip and Looney Tunes. laugh.gif

You are so right when you say it feels good to go to sleep after laughing. Somehow or other they wear us out with all the fun and happiness they bring and we sleep so much better. tongue.gif

Keep bringing the happiness and joy you are feeling with Iggy.
Jon730
You are so right when you say it feels good to go to sleep after laughing. Somehow or other they wear us out with all the fun and happiness they bring and we sleep so much better.

Our Bat-Eared little clowns have been great medicine!!
Maybe they do not CURE things quickly, but they certainly dull the pain! How much can it hurt when we are laughing?
Jon730
Iggy's first day At Large has been very tiring for him. He has only been here five days, and has now taken up the usual Cat Position.

He seems to prefer the Windows System over Debian Linux.

Not surprising, since he has crashed! laugh.gif

LoveThem
I don't know about his OS preferences, Jon, but I would say there is a good possibility he was on your computer area....looking for the "mouse"!

It is hard to fool a cat..even a kitty...about mice. That's what my Lucky puts his paw on the minute he lands on the desk.

Again, your videos bring many smiles. Thanks, Jon.
E.M
I just LOVE those school girl knee high white socks of his.....! wub.gif
Jon730
I just LOVE those school girl knee high white socks of his.....!

I am glad he is the one who hired me. One of his brothers had long white socks and gloves nearly all the way up his legs, but this one "Hired" (Drafted, more like it) the Kitty Lady's boyfriend. He never had a cat before, and was flattered, so that little kitty will be saying home. He was named "Buck".

The parents or local family are all sweet. The son from the first litter lives next door, and comes over and visits his mother. They sit on the step together and rub noses.

I have been discussing Playtime with Iggy. I was shopping for kitten food yesterday. An old guy was studying the foods, looked at my clawed-up bleeding arms, and said, "New Kitten, huh?" We both laughed. He is here on the desk walking on the other keyboard at the moment, but that machine is off so he can practice typing.
Uh oh. Here he comes.
katzen11
QUOTE (Jon730 @ May 18 2008, 01:14 PM) *
I wonder if the ones who have bad starts are extra grateful when they land in a loving home?

that is what the lady in the tv show, from the shelter was telling over and over.
no, i don`t believe that,
this lady from the tv was even worse,
sorry, i think she operated very manipulate, that`s not right.
she kept saying,
if you offer this poor animal a good home, this will bring you luck,
and
those people, who abandoned this pet, will never be happy again.
*J*
you are a very wise guy,
you must know, that the real life does not have those simple solutions.
Jim must have been in a very lovable shelter, and the first 3 weeks, at my home, he spent in an extra room, trembling behind the couch.
and then, he took over !!!!!!!!!!
sorry, about beeing so emotional,
Eva, with her Jim
Jon730
this lady from the tv was even worse,
sorry, i think she operated very manipulate, that`s not right.
she kept saying,
if you offer this poor animal a good home, this will bring you luck,
and
those people, who abandoned this pet, will never be happy again.
*J*
you are a very wise guy,
you must know, that the real live does not have those simple solutions.
Jim must have been in a very lovable shelter, and the first 3 weeks, at my home, he spent in an extra room, trembling behind the couch.
and then, he took over !!!!!!!!!!
sorry, about beeing so emotional,

It's our most emotional topic! Don't be.
Yes, people go overboard tryiing to get older cats adopted because "Eveyrone Wants Kittens". and I have even heard people say "It is too bad they grow up to be cats.".
I myself will be grateful when this wub.gif little monster wub.gif grows up a little! He NEVER stops! He has taken over the house and has been stealing the other cats' food.

But the reason I did not visit a cat shelter is that I know I would have left with as many as they would give me. It is heartbreaking to me that so many beautiful animals are just sitting there, waiting and waiting for a home. Just imagine that there might have been another Miles there, waiting! I could not live with myself if I walked away. SO I know I would have been vulnerable to being manipulated like that.

But I agree with you that promising curses to people who do not adopt the "right cat" is manipulative and wrong.

This one time I wanted a kitten so the other old cats would accept him. It is working!
But over the decades I have paid my dues saving old rescues. I have loved every minute of it. Looking back on all the special foods and vet bills, Miles cost me more per pound than if she were made of Sterling Silver* but the friendship she gave me was worth gold.

Even the most loving shelter must have a hard time giving attention to all of them? And just think of the Kill Shelters! "Adopt this cat or we will kill her!" That is even worse than manipulation. It is almost terrorism.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$5/Troy OunceX12=$60/Troy PoundX11 Lbs=660X12 years=$7,920.00 and that is actually pretty accurate.
I never thought about it at all till right now. You cannot put a price on Love.
And she was my Cat-Wife, and believe me the human wife is a LOT more expensive.... biggrin.gif
katzen11
QUOTE (Jon730 @ May 20 2008, 08:44 PM) *
This one time I wanted a kitten so the other old cats would accept him. It is working!
But over the decades I have paid my dues saving old rescues. I have loved every minute of it. Looking back on all the special foods and vet bills, Miles cost me more per pound than if she were made of Sterling Silver* but the friendship she gave me was worth gold

yes, our precious pets are worth everything we are able to do.
thanks for your reply, Jon.
waiting for more videos and photos of your wub.gif little monster wub.gif
Eva
Jon730
waiting for more videos and photos of your little monster

We found out that all we had to do was to turn on a lamp, and he would quiet down. The camera woke him up!

Jon730

Iggy, Meet...ummm...
LoveThem
Such precious photos. The one looking into the camera makes me want to scoop him up and plant a kiss on that tiny pink nose.

What an absolute doll. Thanks Jon for keeping them coming. I come here to smile and laugh.
Jon730
Such precious photos. The one looking into the camera makes me want to scoop him up and plant a kiss on that tiny pink nose.

The nose gets pinker when he is excited-Which is often.

The little pink nose is also VERY STRANGE when one is awakened by snuffling sounds at 4:00 AM because it has been shoved into the Writer's EAR-Which brings to mind that pigs have pink noses as well, and it sounded like a 500 pound boar.

It is really too pretty to be on a Boy Cat. I actually may try those Soft Claws they sell. Imagine him in pink ones.
Jon730
That's it. My wife is finally worried that I have gone overboard with him.

She caught me carrying him around the house singing,

"Carry the laddie who's born to be King,
Over the sea to Skye..."

"That's really over the top, you know.."

I am just so grateful for how happy he has made me, after being in the emotional cellar from losing Milesy.

It's the pink nose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.