Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sick Pixel
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
featherz
Just put my poor sick kitty munchkin down a few days ago, and my other elderly kitty is declining now.. My beloved Infinity died last year. Worst part is no one is quite sure why Pixie (13, almost 14) is sick! He was DX'd with CRF last year, but it was very early per the vet. I'm a nurse, so I know what all those funny numbers mean - his were on the upper edge of 'normal'..

So I went out and spent a fortune on special food and medications and Astro Oil and pretty much everything that was needed. I'm giving him SubQ fluids. Still, he declined. I keep taking him to the vet thinking 'ah, now the numbers will show that the CRF is advancing'. It's not good, but it's 'understood'.

And now, blood tests for CRF are smack dab *normal* (creatinine 1.4, BUN 21!), but now he has a mysterious infection somewhere and really high WBC/Bands/Neutrophils..and anemia.. it could be cancer, and I am thinking that's more likely due to the weight loss /sniff.

He's lost a lot of weight and is still doing the CRF dance with the water bowl - was hoping it was maybe hyperthyroidism - again, 'understood', but even the advanced thyroid tests are 'normal'. Glucose is normal every time, so not diabetes. Even B/P is normal. But there's something lurking there and I have a feeling it's not good - and I think the vet agrees with me.. sad.gif
I'll take him in again in a few days for more tests.

I do have a psychotic kitten that is helping a bit..but it's still hard.

Anyways.. just wanted to vent.
LoveThem
I am so sorry to hear about Pixie. I had read about you losing Munchkin and wrote to you there about that loss. Sometimes I hear that in life we are never given more than we can handle and many times I really wonder about that saying.

This is so close to Munchkin leaving sometimes things seem twice as difficult to deal with and you are doing so much for Pixie and he knows you are there for him.

I never know which is worse...an unknown trying to take them away from us or knowing and in knowing..to also know we can't stop it from happening.

The only thing that really gives me peace is believing that something we have no control of makes all these decisions...when our special one will go...how they will go...what we can do..what we can't do for them, etc etc.

Vent anytime.....it really does help....and this is all understood here in this forum.

I pray you find some good news in these tests. I understand cancer. There are many here who understand CRF. Give Pixie a special hug and tell him there are a lot of people who think he is very special too and they said you should give him this very special hug for a very special baby boy.

Take Care and let us know how Pixie is doing.

Hugs to both of you wub.gif
goliath
Thanks Judy for bringing this thread to my attention. Somehow I had missed it yesterday as I was only here for a very short time having spent most the Easter holiday with my family and friends.

Having said that, I do wish to extend myself in lending you all the support I can give you. Your recent loss of munchkin coupled with Pixel's declining health must be completely overwhelming for you. Others, as well as myself, are ready and willing to help carry you and your deep seeded grief and worries.

That is what we all here for, to provide comfort and understanding for others, as well as to find the comfort and love we need through our exchanges with each other.

My prayers are with you and Pixel. Please come back and keep us all posted on Pixel's condition. Venting is good medicine for your mind and aching heart. We are here for you in any way that you need us. Hugs..... wub.gif
toonie
I am very sorry for what you are going through, not easy not easy at all. Take care and know you have my most sincere admiration for your courage.
featherz
I am taking him in today to get an Xray - maybe that will tell me something, although I doubt it. He's still doing the CRF dance at the water bowl and I've given him his fluids and pepcid and antibiotics today. I don't have a ton of faith in my vet, but in my area there isn't much choice on vets - that said, what else can he do when labs don't say anything? I can tell he's worried and that he's not sure what is going on. I won't put my kitty through misery - we had a kitty last year that died horribly and I don't want that for pixel - but if there's any hope I am trying it.
Worst thing is that we are moving to another state in about a month and that upheaval will be hard for him - I want to KNOW what's wrong with him before then..

And yes, I do have a kitten who is standing on my keyboard right now and trying to eat my hair. hee hee. His name is Muggles and he's a handful and a half. I should have named him 'chaos'!
goliath
It's difficult when you live in a place where your options in chosing a vet is limited. As you leave to take your precious Pixel into the vet please take my prayers of comfort and hope with you.

So Muggles is on your keyboard bringing you joy huh? How sweet it is that you have some happiness to hang onto to help you through your worries about Pixel.

Please continue to let us know the status of Pixel's illness. We are all here to lend our support and love to you.

Warm hugs to you as well as your liitle kittieloves. wub.gif
featherz
Pixel has gone to the rainbow bridge.. Please see posting in memorial section. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.