Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: News And Other Info
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Loss Websites, News and Other Info
nyzki
I have a question, in regards to what is the best way to trim the claws of a cat.
My girl kitty poppy has some extremely sharp claws and they are long. She does go outside so she gets them worn down some.

But I have noticed that they seem to be longer than usual. They dont seem to be growing back into her paw. But, I am wondering if fingernail clippers are okay to use for her deadly sharp weapons biggrin.gif

Also I am curious about this new product called the petacure. It is supposed to be
some new fangled product for sanding the claws down. I am wondering if this would be safe to use.

I know that you are supposed to only clip the very tip of the claw and not to go any further, risking the potential of clipping into the quick which can cause severe bleeding.

She really needs a petacure badly. I have been subjected to her very painful kneading into my legs and, been left torn and bleeding.

any advice would be appreciated.

Boo & nyzki smile.gif
LoveThem
Sorry, I'm not a clipper but maybe you will get more replies and advice.

I can only tell you that my adopted one..I take to the vet once a month and they clip his claws very well..it does cost me $12.00 but it has been worth it. I don't have to make an appointment...just run in and a groomer takes him and does it real quick. They said I could watch and they would teach me anytime I wanted to know how to do it myself.
So far, I've just done the $12.00 but I may watch next time and someday get brave enough myself.

If you decide to try something like this, you could ask the groomer the questions about length, etc.

This wasn't much advice but I thought I would let you know what I am doing right now.
My 3 cats that I lost never had their nails clipped but they would never extend them around me..probably cause I raised them from kittens. But this adopted cat I have now is about 2 years old and he has no idea that climbing up one's pant leg with claws does hurt.

There are people here who do clip...like jackjackbojack. You could go to her thread in the Death & Dying Section and ask her. I'm sure there are others here also who could help. But in the meantime, consider taking poppy to a vet hospital and getting a good trim for some relief right now.

Hopefully, more replies will be more helpful.
nyzki
Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I am sure that I can do poppys claws ok. She may not like it but dang! I dont like being skewered by her either. ohmy.gif

Boo & nyzki
LS Support
cut them when the animal is relaxed, base your time on them...not when you want to do it. if the animal gets freaky, do only one paw (or less) at a time. i find cats to be easier than dogs, but thats me. cats, i do the last poster said. human clippers, just do the tips and clip more frequently. the 'quick,' the area of flesh inside the nail, varies in length on each cat...it only takes one time nicking it to find out just where it is happy.gif dogs, i prefer to take to the vet...their nails are thicker and tougher. we have not had the best results at home.
goliath
While I never have had to clip cat claws, I have done plenty of nail clipping on my Goliath and Gidget. (both chihuahuas) Start with clipping just the very tip, it will probably be all you need to do to solve the problem. If you are worried you may clip too short, get some quikstop from your local petstore. Then if you see a small bleed begin you can stop it right away. If you can see pink through the claw, stay away from it. Sometimes claws can't all be seen through.

You may find giving treats to poppy while trimming her will allow her to become more relaxed. If she isn't able to sit for you to get the whole job done, do it gradually when both you and she will become more comfortable.

LOL Goliath and Gidget ran to see who could get in my lap first when they saw the nail clippers coming.

I hope I was able to be of some help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.