Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Giving Animals As Gifts For Easter
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Loss Websites, News and Other Info
nyzki
I may be opening a can of worms with this topic but, it is something that really bothers me.

One of my aquaintances is going to give a (kitten) rabbit baby as a gift to some children for Easter. First of all most animals that are given as babies end up loosing thier appeal after awhile and end up being neglected or turned loose and where I live that happens quite a bit. Or end up in our animal shelters.

I know that he meant well but, a toy rabbit or chick would have accomplished the same affect. Without the consequences that may follow. And please I am not being mean or hateful. I am just concerned about the welfare of this very sweet little bunny.

What do you think of this Issue ?

huh.gif ohmy.gif nyzki
nyzki
Hello all,
I just wanted to give you an update on this post.

well, the rabbit baby that I wrote about now has a new home. He never went to those kids. My next door neighboors who are responsible adults and pet owners have her now.

I am pleased to say that they are taking excellent care of her. She is taken outside and is supervised. Had to keep Boo in he wanted to get at her, but she is extremely loved and will be getting the appropriate vaccinations for rabbits.

So it turned out to be a good situation for all those involved. Not to mention I get to hold her too. Ohh she is so soft. I just get all warm all over . Sorry dont mean to get all mushy.

Boo, nyzki, poppy laugh.gif biggrin.gif
Furkidlets' Mom
I'm glad that rabbit ended up at a decent home, but since you brought the issue up, I'd still like to remind everyone what goes on behind the scenes where these creatures all come from in the first place.....breeders, who then sell them off at bargain prices. To illustrate, here's a letter I got from a friend of mine who went to 2 such auctions last wknd. to rescue a few of these beings. (the pictures she included are missing, but you'll get the drift just by the descriptions - suffice it to say it's abominable)

At these auctions they sell hundreds of boxes of animals. Most of the boxes have no food or water while these animals lay in them for days until they are sold. They sell everything from parrots, wallabies, chickens and pigeons.......

Thursday there was an article in the paper in regards to buying rabbits. Cheryl Wallach (Humane Society) made a great comment but of course they did the majority of the article in favor of buying rabbits during Easter. The statements the reporter got were from Southern Alberta Rabbits Breeders Association members. Oddly enough the same organization had members selling rabbits at this auction. The entire event was disgusting and irresponsible. Rabbits were selling as low as 2 dollars a piece but on average 5 dollars. Rabbits were falling off the conveyor belt as the boxes moved along. The auctioneer was encouraging people to buy rabbits for their children, grandchildren heck buy one of every color he would say. It is for reasons like this that Kelowna, BC is struggling with their rabbit population, and that shelters are full.

Notice in the pictures that some boxes had rabbits breeding in the boxes. Other boxes had no food or water with up to 8 rabbits in them. Some boxes had Doe's with her new born litter. Anyone who knows rabbits knows that it is very stressful for a Doe to have people or other animals around.

This rabbit was in the corner dead and the other box was steamy as there were no vent holes.

The duck was purchased for 5 dollars; he was in such horrible conditions and needed medical attention.

I saw these pictures myself - the dead white rabbit tossed into a dirty corner; the steamed-up box with the rabbit's soaked fur jammed up against the side; rows of 'cheery', small Easter baskets filled with cellophane shreds, all wrapped tightly with chicken wire, one tiny plastic bowl that probably USED to hold some water...and a bunny in each, barely even fitting inside the basket, it was so small. No food, not even enough room to move.

I sat and cried yet again. So I plead once again -- DON'T buy any animals from breeders or stores!! Let their supplies run dry from lack of interest and instead get your animals from shelters or sanctuaries. Until the supply of those who are unwanted runs low enough, THIS is the kind of abuse that is being supported by your dollars. It's not rocket science and thousands of innocent lives depend upon people being smart enough to understand these connections and live by the ethical considerations that are raised by these common practices.
nyzki
furkidlet,

You are so right, I am against mass breeding, I did not mean to lessen that fact with this post. I dont have rabbits since I dont really think that a apartment is the right kind of enviroment, even though this is where this bunny is residing.

I am appalled to hear of these kind of auctions,how can people be so greedy and heartless. Once again as you have made clear that animals are not seen as living feeling beings but commodities.

And I will never partcipate in such barbaric practices by buying these animals either.

Boo, nyzki, poppy
goliath
Once these bunnies are born they do need to hopefully find a loving and caring home. Before I would ever gift someone a pet I would always consult the parents first.

Your story of your acquaintance giving a bunny to a child for Easter reminds me of a time many years ago when my friend's son, Jason, received a bunny for Easter. My reaction to giving that kid anything to take care of scared me to death. My assumptions as to how I thought this kid would care for this bunny were completely wrong.

Not only did Jason nurture and care for his sweet bunny with tender love, he and that bunny established a connection of love and made many happy memories together. The two of them grew up together. The love that bunny brought into Jason's life changed a bratty little kid into a very compassionate and loving human being that I actually found myself able to be around without him driving me nuts.

I wasn't surprised when Jason grew into a man and still had his lovebunny. The gift he received changed his life for the better. To this day Jason is a fully compassionate and loving person with a family of his own, which includes several much loved furry kids.
nyzki
Well,
Sometimes we are so overcome by all the nightmare stories we hear of animals not being cared for that we forget that, that there are positve ones too.

And sometimes careing for a animal can teach a child compassion and responsibility. I am touched by your story of this kind and wonderful man.

Thank you for sharing this with us. I just wish that there were more people like this kind and remarkable human being.

Boo, nyzki, poppy wub.gif biggrin.gif
Jon730
And I will never partcipate in such barbaric practices by buying these animals either.

Long ago, my wife was hired to manage a pet store.

Briefly.

She found out about the seamy side of things like Puppy Factories. She had to leave because she kept buying animals to rescue them.

We both still cannot talk about it without raising our voices in non-family-friendly language and thinking outraged thoughts.

Some people should be PTS.
Furkidlets' Mom
Here-here, Jon! I second that motion....and yet humans are revered ad nauseum, whether they deserve it or not.

Heck, I just got labeled, once again, as being "extreme" in my love for animals....as if there's something wrong with Love itself, no matter where it's directed. Apparently it might have been somewhat acceptable if it was limited to just my own kids, but certainly not animals en masse! No one would ever DARE make such an outrageously stupid statement about someone who loved human kids more than any'thing' else. But nope...you're not allowed to give too much love &/or concern to (mere) animals, even though they're the ones who are the most persecuted all across the globe, and the ones who need it the very most. Nope....that's radical, base, weird, disgusting, extreeeeeme. Think of the applause and lovely adjectives, by comparison, that one would receive for dedicating their life's work to human children's lives instead. People are hypocritical beyond all reason.

Yes, sometimes there are those who discover that wonderful connection that serves them for life, but more often than not these poor creatures are only in for an even worse ride after they're bought for cheap. So many end up sold for meat, for either humans or other animals, or used as breeding stock for an endless stream of cruel practices, simply because they're not valued as sentient beings. Reality bites, but it's still reality and will remain as is unless we work to change it by looking at the bigger picture and putting our money where our mouths (and values) are.

I still say better that the ones already born are the ONLY ones to die, and not be followed by that endless stream that's rooted in human selfishness and self-interest. It's one of the only options to END such carnage and brutality once and for all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.