Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boycott The Beijing Olympics
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Loss Websites, News and Other Info
AlleysMama
As if poisoning OUR cats with tainted pet food wasn't enough...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1811

Here is a list of the corporate sponsors for the Beijing olympics.

http://en.beijing2008.cn/90/53/column211995390.shtml

This completely sickens me. Completely. China will NEVER change until WE do something about it. We need to stop buying their products. WE are the ones who financially support everything they do, including this.
AlleysMama
I have written emails to the sponsors and I recommend you all do the same. The way they are treating these poor animals are just awful.
LS Support
very sad article mad.gif well there's no sponsor on this list i cant live without...
katzen11
thank you, AlleysMama, for posting
thank you
i did read a couple months ago, somewhere in the internet, that
Beijing is c l e a n i n g the city for the Olympic Games...

violating human and animal rights

i sent an email to our goverment
and guess, what, i did not get a reply

so i will follow your advice
Eva
nyzki
China, is a country that is still way behind the times when it comes to the treatment of animals, They break many laws in regards to Poaching animals for thier body parts such as bear gall bladder thought to be a aphrodiasiac. And as well as using nets that kill many sea mamals such as Dolphins.

They I guess are trying to make a good impression on the Athletes that will be attending the Olympic games this year. And they think that by rounding up and killing as many cats as they can that this will do it.

China, still has a long way to go in becoming a civilized country and realizing that the actions of thier Government does not go unoticed. What's worse is that those people that love and cherish thier animals are living in fear that thier beloved pets are going to be confiscated and destroyed due to the ignorance of those who,
dont share those feelings.

Thank you for sharing this with us. More people need to become aware this.
Maybe some very BAD publicity is just what China needs, I have also heard that some German Athletes may boycot the Olympics, but not for this Issue.

I surely hope that more would boycot due to this particular issue.

Boo nyzki& Poppy mad.gif ohmy.gif
Furkidlets' Mom
I'm horrified and totally sick inside over this holocaust - that's the only word for it.....but have begun writing each sponsor, one by one. I've been including the link to the story with each one, so they can't claim ignorance once I've written to them. You might all do the same.

If anyone has a lot more time than I do, a list of the exact contact info. for each sponsoring company would be a HUGE help for all of us to do up letters of complaint/boycott..........cuz that's sure one HECKUVA LONG LIST and we need to get crackin' on this right away if we're to stop them killing all these cats!!!!

Let's not forget, too, that if, just like public opinion shamed the Chinese govt. into stopping their DOG cull, this also ends up helping educate the ignorant masses there.....with less chance of them believing such packs of lies from their rulers the NEXT time. (I can't even imagine being that ignorant in this day and age, though....)

SHAME ON ALL OF THEM!!!
Furkidlets' Mom
I thought I should post the exchange I've had so far between myself and Coca-Cola about this. Spread the word - Coca-Cola is no friend of animals! I actually seem to recall them doing some kinds of experiments on animals a few years back, as well, so I'm not really surprised. (this correspondence is in reverse order - read from the bottom, up) If any of you wish to expound upon this exchange and let them KNOW that word is getting out about their responses to others, that might help them see things in a different, more-serious light, too. You'll note, too, that THEY never said they shared the same concerns about animals.....only that they were "sensitive to" MINE.

Dear Lisa,

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that 'reasoning'. Your advertising, endorsement support and sponsorship of events has an impact upon not only public perception, but upon those who would USE those endorsements for tourism and attendance needs. You can't convince me that were Coca-Cola to make a decision and statement about pulling out their sponsorship due to an ethical consideration they couldn't ignore, that any government (especially one so keen on drawing support from North American tourists) wouldn't perk its ear up. Everything and everyone influences everything and this is especially notable in the marketing business. As most of us know, the Santa Claus that we know today was really an advertisement marketing invention of Coca Cola, so please don't insult my intelligence and try to tell me your company has no influence over others, even governments! You influenced entire generations of people, some even say to their detriment. Governments are run by people, and people can be influenced.

Since you seem to believe that your potential or present consumers' opinions aren't as important as how much money you can make by being a sponsor in a country with such a heinous att*itude towards living beings (including these animals' families, so guess what? - people, too!), it becomes quite apparent that money at any cost is your bottom line, no matter who it might harm. That, and extending your marketing reach into other countries' markets. You are not taking this matter seriously and so now I am even more disgusted with the Coca-Cola company. I myself might have concerns about the safety and well-being of animals, but it's apparent Coca-Cola does not.

To be sure, I will also be writing the Chinese authorities, but I had hoped I could count on Coca-Cola's support in one sector that drives people to change - economics. Obviously, though, Coca-Cola is as much a dinosaur as is the Chinese government it is indirectly backing. And so, I will continue to boycott your products and spread the word about your true lack of concern about these animals.

Thanks for nothing,
(my name)

-----Original Message-----
From: Coca-Cola Support [mailto:coca-cola.support@na.ko.com]

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We at The Coca-Cola Company are very sensitive to your concerns about the safety and well being of animals. However, as a sponsor of the Olympic Games, we have no influence or control over the actions of any government. With that in mind, we recommend sharing your concerns directly with the relevant Chinese government authorities.

Sincerely,

Lisa Harper
Project Manager
Industry and Consumer Affairs
The Coca-Cola Company
LS Support
wow! what a cop-out for them. mad.gif the Chinese govt does not care at all.

but i love this sentence you wrote:

Coca-Cola is as much a dinosaur as is the Chinese government it is indirectly backing.

though i am surprised you got to a real person there, not usual for companies that size in my experience. keep pushing them, they will probably just ignore after a while.

thankfully, i am a pepsi drinker.

keep us up on this issue please.
katzen11
the president of US invited the Dalai Lama for a visit
in Europe he got the Alfred Nobel Price for peace
( i do not know if the Dalai Lama cares for dogs and cats )
the mighty power of money
nobody is going to help
even when you can see all the demonstrations on YouTube
china`s market is global
i am very sorry
looks like we should start again, step by step,
with the love of our pets, once again
they will help us
Furkidlets' Mom
Here is a good link to a Care2 discussion which lists 2 sample letters, people and places to write to and other related sites dealing with these atrocities, and a pet*ition to sign. If you go to the one link to sign the pet*ition, please make sure to read the 'letter' up top that goes along with this issue....but be warned, what the Chinese PEOPLE, not just their government, do to animals is far worse than you could ever imagine. You might need a stiff drink first....but once you know the truth, I'd think you'd be hard-pressed to NOT lift a finger for these tortured souls who need our help SO badly it's not funny.
Beijing's Mass Cat Slaughter - sample mails, info, etc.

And Eva, the Dalai Lama has spoken out about all sorts of animal abuse, including the eating of their flesh. Strangely, he also seems to have believed his doctors, who advised him years ago (after he'd taken to some really strange, insufficient vegetarian diet of ONLY nuts and milk -- ????!!) to start eating meat again, probably incorrectly assuming his ill health was for the lack of flesh in his diet......and even HE has apparently returned to this practice, even though it goes against the Buddhist's true precepts. So, none of us is perfect or perfectly capable of doing it all....but that doesn't mean we should stop trying. smile.gif

P.S. There is also the point that should be made in letters about how years ago the spread of Bubonic Plague began in China so China might be in for quite a nasty surprise, should they insist on ridding their lands of cats who could be keeping the rat populations down. Apparently already tens of thousands of cats have been killed in this 'clean-up' which began in July '07.

I also found THIS link, where Ron Rosenbaum wrote a great article about this slaughter...more 'food' for writing a personalized letter to the appropriate heathens.
Ron Rosenbaum's article and website
nyzki
I hate to say this but maybe a rat infestation might just be karma coming back to bite them in the backside. A FEW MILLON RODENTS LOADED WITH FLEAS CARRYING BUBONIC PLAUGE ! sounds like justice to me.

Boo, nyzki, poppy dry.gif
katzen11
i have been writing a few emails now
pleading for staying away of the openingshow in Peking.
(i could not find somebody yet, who`s influence is good...)
anyway
I wrote :

human rights
animal rights
Berlin 1936

so, i send an email
to the president of Austria
to our minister of sports
to the Austrian Olympic Comite
to famous athletes (Mr.Rogan, the family Jukic)
and to the Lady who represents my country in the European Parlament,
i told her about Peking cleaning the city since 2007,
killing thousands of dogs and cats.

Eva
Jon730
Let's not forget the outrageous news story of two years ago. People bought cute stuffed animals made in That Place.
THEN people noticed their cats were licking them.
THEN it came out they were made of Cat Fur. Basically, they were murdered hollowed out cats, restuffed with cotton or sawdust.

Some owners gave them decent burials.

Rather than dilute your efforts on loads of Fortune 500 individual sponsors, the fastest, easiest way to kick them where it hurts is to go after Wal-Mart.
This will accomplish several things:
1) It will shut off substantial cash flow, rapidly.
2) Wal-Mart will rethink its dealings. Their stockholders know about the Company's extensive dealings with the PRC-They are pratcially the PRC's retail outlet.

3) Read the labels before buying. Anything.

The PRC Government itself does not care in the least what we think.
Ask any Tibetan, or Falun Gong member.

The concept of mistreating a cat would be incomprehensible to that Government.

As the first post says, "As if the poisoned cat food was not bad enough".
Well, there are other issues such as adulterated Heparin for Human medical use, that has killed people, but that is beyond the scope of a pet support forum.
Besides, they are only people.
AlleysMama
Its amazing how many things are made in China, once you start looking at the labels. Nearly EVERYTHING you buy for the home, pet items, everything. Its disgusting. I have been looking for websites and stores that carry items made in america (or UK, Canada, etc.). These items are harder to find, and they cost more, but it is worth it.
katzen11
i am happy to write, that with the help of a lot animal-lovers
it is not allowed for China, to export cats- and dogs-fur to Europe after the
1.1.2009, without a n y exception.
thats it, no exception.
i was feeling miserable, when i realized, that at some petshops of my city they were still selling cat-toys, with (chinese, or whatsoever) catfur.
catfur, for a present, to play for a cat!!! mad.gif
i could not believe it, but it is true.
ok, i just right now don`t want to think about all the other severe problems
of our beloved pets and animals.
that is just one good thing happening here. smile.gif
Eva
Furkidlets' Mom
Good idea about Wal-Mart. I'll be contacting them shortly in protest. I've gotten back about 15-20 undeliverable emails from that provided list of Chinese contacts, and I've seen even more addresses since, but many of them are apparently either blocked by the government itself (controlling the internet in China) OR they get shut down from the amount of letters coming in. One even thanked me for my "interest in becoming a volunteer for the Olympics"!!! So obviously some of them can't even read english....or make it look like they can't. They don't WANT to hear global protest, as Jon said. I'm not sure that should stop us from trying, though. Silence = complacence = no change. So, here's a link to some more "official" email addresses in China (better bets at upper portion of page): Chinese govt., tourism, ministries, embassies

It's really our own fault that most things in N. Amer. now come from China. The way I see it, we're not w/o blame for this as everything affects everything, everywhere. WE didn't think ahead about how what WE do affects global conditions. Both of our countries' (Canada and U.S.) consumers insisted on cheaper versus higher quality from made-at-home products, which forced manufacturers to outsource to slave-labor, poor countries. It's even harder in Canada to buy locally, as we barely have any Cdn. manufacturing LEFT here. We've sold out to U.S.or other foreign interests, for the most part. Most things now come from U.S firms who sell products .....which now come from China. If we want to affect the balance, we have to be vigilant in our buying practices. Most people won't abide by this now, though, I'll bet, as everyone wants cheap prices and we're basically a selfish species. So...will it be morals and ethics that rule the day, or economy? It's a truism that "you get what you pay for." And this is what our shallow values 'bought.'

It might also be a good idea to write some Olympic officials. The IOC doesn't seem to have a contact email, so next in line is the NOC, their related regional partnerships and the athletes themselves who've so far decided they're not going to let a few lousy animals or poor ethics stop them from their chosen career plans or attendance at the games. Here's a link to two of those three:

Association of National Olympic Committees and, National Olympic Committees

So far, I haven't had time to track down ways to contact athletes themselves, but hope to find time next week....if it's even possible. If anyone else does, please let us all know.

I saw pictures of dogs hanging up after being skinned alive (apparently some still live for a few minutes even after this horrendous live skinning), with the rest in crates, watching their companions and knowing they're next. I saw pictures of cats begging to be saved....after the dog pics, I couldn't even bring myself to look at most of the cat pics or footage, I was so traumatized. And even though N. Amer. is really no better (think battery chickens who are often still alive whilst being slaughtered just as inhumanely, or cattle, or horses, or many other animals tortured by various savage means), we still OWE these Chinese animals our outrage and protest, too. sad.gif mad.gif It's world community and we're part of it, like it or not.

And Eva, I'm more than disgusted and ashamed to say that in Canada (even though we're linked to British rule/law as yet), there is NO legislation so far against the import or sale of cat or dog fur products, which is also NOT required to be named per our ridiculously-insufficient labeling laws. (not that I think ANY fur products are okay) The public can be outraged, but our governments never listen to us....but I still keep trying....
Jon730
I've gotten back about 15-20 undeliverable emails from that provided list of Chinese contacts, and I've seen even more addresses since, but many of them are apparently either blocked by the government itself (controlling the internet in China) OR they get shut down from the amount of letters coming in.

Two can play that game. I have locked the entire pesthole out of my websites and servers, partly because of spam, and partly because they are Bad Peopleā„¢.

Any webmasters want to know how to do it, write me privately for a copy of the longest .htaccess file on Earth.
katzen11
in exactly two weeks the Olympics in Beijing are going to start.
( i am going to get some news from TV )
so, two days ago, i read in the news of my homecountry, that a
Mr. Steinacher will be proud to carry the Austrian flagg in the opening-ceremony.
you know, i heard about Mr. Steinacher ( only ) about getting an olympic gold-medal in the Tornado Class 2000 and 2004 (sailing).
he is surely a good sportsman, or something like that.

i got his homepage yesterday and asked him, hooooooow he could do this, with "pride".
well, i guess, nothing to add, i am feeling so helpless sad.gif
thanks for listening to me
Eva
Jon730
well, i guess, nothing to add, i am feeling so helpless

When all else fails, we use ridicule as a weapon:

Click to view attachment
katzen11
Jon smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
thank you
Eva
Jon730
Latest news! Melamine in Baby Milk!! Tens of thousands of babies with kidney stones.

They are killing their own babies now. Even THEY mean nothing if they use melamine to fake the protien content of pediatric foods!

Is it any wonder they cared nothing for our cats and dogs?????
katzen11
QUOTE (Jon730 @ Sep 24 2008, 01:06 PM) *
Latest news! Melamine in Baby Milk!
They are killing their own babies now.
Is it any wonder they cared nothing for our cats and dogs?????

Jon,
thats was exactly my first thought, too.
in my country, they are controlling the chinese restaurants and the asia shops since 3 days.
in a regular supermarket i do not have to be afraid of milk, and so on.
somebody told me, this Melamine is used in Europe and maybe somewhere else, too,
not in babymilk, but.....?
Eva
nyzki

I am begining to wonder if some of those milk products may have made it into the United States. I wonder about some of the Non Dairy products that we may have used without truely knowing where they where manufactured.

They can say one thing on the label but, not be giving you the whole truth. I dont think that I will be using any more Non dairy products Unless I can be for sure that they are from this Country. I feel so bad for all those poor sick babies. This is such a travesty.

Boo, Poppy, Muse, Nyzki ohmy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.