Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mouth Turning Black
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
Victoria
Ok I might just be freaking out but. My little dog JRT is 13 years old. She has allways been a licker. But lately it seem more. I looked in her mouth this morning and her gums are turning black and so it the roof of her mouth. I quickly got on the internet to see if I could find out anything.. Not much about what I see.
Is this something to be worried about? She kinda smacks at night too. I just had here teeth cleaned in March and the Vet did not say anything at that time. There is no blood or growths or the such. But it is very black. And it does look strange.
LoveThem
Call your vet and ask.

Gums are usually pink and the kind of oxygen they are getting can affect the color.

Best to call your vet and ask on the phone (I think you said weather prevented you from driving anywhere).

I looked on the Internet also and maybe the black is ok on a canine.

It is always best to call and direct the question to your vet..whether it is to ask him on the phone personally or ask that the question be asked of him and the gal at the desk call you back.

It's always been a relief to me when a medical professional does not panic at my question...as I can be known to do when I get scared about one of the furbabies.
LS Support
definitely ask the vet, particularly if the dog is in any pain or sensitive to touch in the mouth area. some breeds have higher degrees of skin pigment (melanin) that may turn darker as they age, but it cannot hurt to ask your vet.

my only worthwhile findings on the net are this:

Dog´s gums have black parts because of a pigment called melanin. This melanin in humans can be found in birth marks, moles and freckles. If you are concerned of your dog´s oral health be sure to brush his teeth regularly if he is eating kibble or canned food. If your dog is on a raw diet, the bones will help cleaning the tartar from the teeth. Dogs are prone to suffer gingivitis, specially smaller breeds. The smell is foul, the gums bleed a bit and the teeth can be somewhat mobile. I would not be concerned about the darker areas of the gum, this are normal features.

also check out this link, increasingly black gums can be an indicator of gum disease: http://www.placervillevet.com/periodontal%20disease.htm
Victoria
Thank you so much. I called the vet this morning and he said it is just pigment. As long as there is no swelling or irritation. I quess I'm a bit worried because of the lost of J-dog and Goose begining to pass. I really got quite upset this morning. Its just so much to bear. wub.gif
LoveThem
You did the right thing by calling the vet. It is better to try and find out about things in case something you notice is something a vet says..bring him right in.

I know you feel better having called. Don't ever hesitate to do that. They are there to help the animals and it is always better to have checked too much than not to check at all and later find out you should have called.

And...like you said...you just lost J-dog and are dealing with that grief while at the same time nursing Goose and loving him..not knowing how much time will be given to you.
It can be overwhelming.

So also don't hesitate to post here as you did. We'll try to help as best we can but if we don't know an answer..you will get the call the vet suggestion cause that is the true expert on symptoms. They don't know all the answers but they sure know more than we do..usually.

I'm glad he eased your mind. You have enough to take care of without more worry.

Hugs to you and Goose. We are here for you. You are not alone. wub.gif
Victoria
Ok I took Dinky to the vet today... And everything is ok her mouth is normal. Boy is that a load off my mine. rolleyes.gif Goose is still doing much better. I know he is dying but if he has some good days its a very good thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.