Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Is This Happening?
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
Precious' mom
This is not exactly a death-and-dying subject...it could be, but read on...
My friend Karen (the one who made the lovely thing you see to the left) told me some distressing news about Milo (her Dachsund). He is turning vicious. He used to be such a sweet (and sometimes nervy) dog but lately he has been snapping and growling at everything in sight. He has been nipping at her heels and starts baring his teeth and snapping when she tries to put him to bed at night.
Could this be an indication of a brain tumour? Milo is only six but he has changed so much in such a short time that she's questioning it. She's taking him to the vet soon for a complete physical but is fearing a horrible outcome. Has anyone had trouble like this? All comments very welcome. She wants all the opinions you can give!
Many thanks!
Lisa smile.gif
LS Support
could be a nervous disorder. but environmental variables need to be checked first, any changes in the household? the dog may be scared or mad for some reason.
myhrtisbrkn
Considering this is a dacshund, the first thing I would suspect is a bulging disc in his spine. This could be causing him considerable pain,and fear.If there is no paralysis yet, then she make luck out and catch it before emergency surgery is required to save his life, or his limbs. Dacshunds are the poster children for this disorder.
She should get him to the vet asap.
myhrtisbrkn
I'd like to know what has happened to this baby, please keep us posted.
vizsla-angel
Lisa,
Don't panic until the tests are all done. This could be anything.

If you want a diagnosis to fixate on other than brain tumor, here's one:
One of the things I had to do for Penny was had her thyroid checked. Just like humans, a dog's thyroid gland can go out of wack and make them act nuts. In fact, in humans it's often misdiagnoised as bipolar disorder & myhrt can even back me up on that. Daily medication solves the problem.

Let Milo know we're routing for him!
V
myhrtisbrkn
v's right thyroid is a very strong possibility. At the very least I'd say,as a dacshund, Milo is pretty young for a brain tumor. Generally speaking little dogs are pretty slow to develope these neoplasms. Let us know.
vizsla-angel
Oh,
I just want to clarify for you that Penny is alive and well. She's the one who always bites me. Turns out her thyroid is fine though. ph34r.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.