Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 14 Year Old Siamese Needs Your Help
Lightning-Strike Pet Loss Support Forum > Pet Loss Support > Pet Disease and Sickness Support
mosmommy
Hi everyone,
I have started this thread for my Dad's cat, Boots ( age 14). Sorry, it is long.
Currently, Boots is nearing his end. His original vet had pulled some of his teeth last year because they were infected, and since then he has had trouble eating
(obviously).
He was taken in for a teeth cleaning in September, and they put him on Hill's prescription canned food ( k/d) for kidney disease. At first he ate it and did well, and then he wasn't keeping it down. After trying l/d and g/d, it was decided that he be allowed to eat whatever would sit well, which turned out to be cat milk and canned &en and turkey.
In October, I suggested he be taken to another Vet for a second opinion. That Vet indicated ( as did the blood work) that he had extremely high t4 levels, making him hyperthyroid. They prescibed 10 mg. Tapazole (Methimazole) 1/2 tablet in the morning and a 1/2 tablet at night. This worked at first, and he was taking the medicine with the &en and keeping it all down- but that changed. He began to act lethargic, and he started to twitch his head and was licking his paws like crazy ( we attribute it to the side effects of the drug, since no other explanation was found).
On his last visit 2 weeks ago, they said his t4 was still elevated, but had gone down from > 7 to = 5.7, but they increased the tapazole by 5 mg. in the morning, making the total of 15 mg. daily. I would like to add that I had a thyroid condition once that was also treated with the same medication, and I only took 5 mg. once a day. I weighed 110 pounds at the time, and he currently weighs 6 lbs. Seems like he is on a high dose, and now he won't eat with the medicine. In the last 2 days, he has not had any medication, and is eating and running around like crazy, so they ( my Dad and his girlfriend) want to try things this way, but then his t4 won't go down. On his last visit he was also prescribed a drug for acid reflux ( the Vet thought this might help with his vomiting, it didn't. The drug is called Famotidine 20 mg. 1/2 tablet daily.
He also has borderline high blood pressure, but they are avoiding treatment for now because of his other problems. They state he is in the early stages of kidney disease, and they suspect some liver problems such as cancer, viral, or bacterial- but nothing has been given to address this. Mild gingivitis is also a problem.
I have all of the records from his last 3 visits, including blood work results.
In September, his ALKP was very high, as was his ALT.
In October, his ALKP, ALT, and BUN were high, and his TBIL was off the charts low. His PLT was high as well.
In November, his ALB is low, and everything else is in the normal range from what it was.
My problem is that they want to keep him off his meds because he acts better, but that may not last for long. They are willing to pay anything as long as they see improvement and he remains happy, but they did cancel his appointment for Thursday December 7.
I wanted to post this and see if anyone else has had a similiar experience with their furbaby, and perhaps be able to correlate the Vet's idea, or give me other options of what did or did not work. My Dad will obviously be devastated if anything happens to Boots, but he has a hard time trusting [ the best Vet in town] because he sees the cat differently at home.
Please, if anyone out there can help, let me know asap. Most of you know me on here, and know that I, myself, have had alot of loss and grief, I'd like to find out anything I can to spare my Dad and Boots some time before they have to go through a loss.
Peace, Love, and Prayers,
Michelle
Muffins
Hi (((((((Michelle)))))))

I am so sorry to hear that Boots wub.gif isn't doing well. Sending hugs & prayers to your dad & his girlfriend....(and to you, too).

I believe the Tapazole sounds like a high dose to me, too. My sweet Ernestine wub.gif , who went to Rainbow's Bridge in Feb, 04, had hyperthyroidism. She was on 5mg to 7.5 mg / day.
Ernie had 1/2 her thyroid removed when she was 14 years old, and then she was started on Tapazole when she was 16 years old.
Perhaps there's some reason that Boots is on the dose that he is??

The Famotadine should be helpful - I think that the brand name is Pepcid.

My Dad will obviously be devastated if anything happens to Boots, but he has a hard time trusting [ the best Vet in town] because he sees the cat differently at home.

I think what I would do is put together all of the records that you have (and any other records that the vet may have), and bring all that information to a new vet for another opinion.
AND.....perhaps a vet that can go to your dad's house would be the best idea, so they can see Boots in his environment??

Oh, with regard to canned cat food.... I have changed our kids diet (Ms. Lucy wub.gif and Mr. Yoster wub.gif ), to INNOVA cat food. The LOVE IT!! Ms. Lucy has diabetes, and like Boots, had several teeth extracted earlier this year.
This INNOVA is highly nutritious & holistic.
Perhaps Boots will love it too.

I'm sorry that I don't have any specific information that can help Boots wub.gif .

Please keep us informed as to how precious Boots is doing, okay? We care.

God Bless You & Yours,

Peace & Love,

Denise
mosmommy
Thanks Denise,
I'll pass that along. As far as another vet goes, they are going to the best one here. The only other option is driving 90 miles to a bigger city and trying one there, but that is too much for Boots to endure.
I think they are hurredly trying to lower the t4, and that is why the dose is so high, and they recheck every 4 weeks. When it was me, they rechecked every 3 months. Maybe they are trying too hard, too fast. They suggested removal of the thyroid, but my Dad doesn't want that if he can avoid it because he'll just have to take thyroid supplements.
In the meantime, I'll keep hoping for more suggestions from others like you.
I don't think I mentioned that Boots is a beautiful Sealpoint siamese, and used to be indoor/ outdoor, but he stays in now. I hope someone here can shed some light on his condition(s). I keep thinking that there is another reason for that t4 count to be so high. Could it be related to the early stages of kidney disease? I thought I remembered reading that about humans before.
I'll do research and check back in for more advice.
Thanks again, and thanks in advance to anyone else.
Michelle
mosmommy
Hi Denise,
I did try to find Innova here, and all of our supply stores carry only the dry, which Boots can't chew. They did find some food from Nutro though, and he did good for the first 36 hours, now he is vomiting again, but not as much. We may still try Innova, but it will have to be ordered.
At this point, he is keeping down more food than he has in the last 3 months, and we're hoping he can gain a little weight. Once he does, I recommended a follow up with the vet and a reduction in his tapazole so that he is getting some of the benefits but not too much, too fast. From what they are telling me, since he hasn't been taking tapazole, his head has stopped twitching, and he is not licking his paws like crazy, which confirms our initial suspicions- they were side effects of such a heavy dose of thyroid suppressant.
There are still other issues in his medical file, so I would still appreciate any further advice and stories of similiar situations anyone else may have experienced.
Michelle
Thanks again to Denise (and to all others in advance) for your help.
Furkidlets' Mom
Michelle,

For one, please see my thread "Alternative treatments/book..." under the Website, News and Info. forum. Our Dr. Don's book talks about hyperthyroidism in cats, but I can't type it ALL in here. Generally, though, he says that if it were his cat, he'd choose homeopathic or other holistic methods first, as they're generally safer and can sometimes be effective (though this condition in cats can be quite tricky, apparently), and if those didn't work, his next choice would be surgical removal...but of only ONE gland (one -sided removal of the affected gland), along with continued homeopathic support.

He also says that thyroid disease is generally autoimmune in origin, and has been associated with vaccination and "sulfa" drug use, which sometimes triggers thyroid disease. So vaccines are especially risky for those with such disease. Some people have had some success with radioactive iodine treatment (Tapazole), but it wouldn't be his first choice, either, as it's one of the most highly radioactive elements known and he's concerned about it's use long-term. Kidney disease and hyperthyroidism often go hand in hand, btw.

For acid reflux, we had very good success using slippery elm bark powder, which I can tell you about IF you're interested. (also good for either diarhhea &/or constipation and any digestive disturbances) If kidney issues are also a concern, you might check out Tanya's UK Feline Chronic Renal Failure website, as there's MUCH info. there on this other tricky condition (which Nissa had). Also, introducing ANY new food should be done as gradually as possible with cats (if possible, a mere 25% to start, mixed with the usual food, increasing this over at least 4 days, up to about a week), as too rapid an introduction often CAUSES gastric distress and vomiting!

Diet, as usual, is very important, too, and I'd try to find a very high quality (organic, if possible) wet food that Boots WILL eat, or look into a raw food diet (really, the best choice, but requiring more research and dedication). With kidney disease anyway, getting them to eat is still one of the most important things to accomplish. but you also don't want to use TOO high a protein amount ~ I used to mix Nissa's wet food with anywhere from 10-25% of cream of white or brown rice...whatever amount she would tolerate. Boots not being able to eat dry food is a GOOD thing, as dry food is the last choice for good health, especially with kidney issues. You might try to find "Wellness", "Natural Balance", "Evanger's" wet foods locally or online (some favourites of Nissa's, to which I added the rice), &/or IVD (named "MediCal" in Canada; same company) reduced (NOT 'low') protein canned food. ("Nutro"'s not too bad, either) Also, use nothing but purified water for Boots, as long as he'll drink it, and add some extra to his food, as lots of hydration is critical for kidney issues and most cats simply cannot drink enough to compensate.

This is the problem with being faced with a sudden diagnosis.....so much to LEARN in no time flat! I understand how challenging this can be, but if it helps, this is what helped our own girl to live 6.5 years after her initial diagnosis of kidney disease, plus her other conditions.

Best of luck and I hope you can find some good protocols to use with poor Boots!
Schtoobing'sMom
I agree, Tanya's CRF website is an excellent resource. I think I read every single word of it, and got lots of helpful information about Schtoobing's CRF, especially on how to do the sub-q's at home. As for diet, Schtoob wouldn't eat much (he had an abdominal tumor that we didn't know about), but he did like the feline Rebound the vet gave us. It's like pediasure, but specially made for cats with kidney disease. The vet suggested that we mix the Rebound in with whatever food he would eat.

Good luck with Boots- he's lucky to have such a good caregiver!
mosmommy
Hey guys,
Thanks for your advice so far. I have contacted an herbalist to assist me with the slippery elm bark powder, and I have also told my Dad to get the purified water.
They have been doing the gradual introduction with all of the different foods that they have tried. I don't think they are going to switch again until we try to settle the acid reflux problem so he can keep it down.
I did check out your post Furkidlets' Mom, before posting this. I've been doing research ever since.
One thing I didn't think was true ( as a former patient who used Tapazole) is that Tapazole is not a radioactive treatment, just a thyroid suppressant. They wanted me to do the radioactive iodine treatment myself, but I went with Tapazole, and eventually the condition cleared on it's own. I thought there was a correlation between the t4 and the kidney disease, and you have confirmed that here.
I have told them to add water to his food also, but he will not touch rice in any way. Our dog was like that when she had a digestion issue, and I used oatmeal for her which worked well, but cats can be much more finicky.
I will also look into the Rebound supplement too.
Keep me in mind as I/we try anything that will help.
Thanks for now and for the future, that prayers and efforts will be answered.
Love,
Michelle
michelles kitty
hi michelle, i am also a michelle, nice to meet you,
i came into this thread a little late. although everything i've heard has made sense and has answered alot of misgivings i had, i 'll explain why in a sec.

first off my cat passed at age 18. had a thyroid condition. was on tapazole 5mg liquid form. this caused gatric upset. if i mixed it in her food she was good as long as i put it on the bottom and laid the wet food on top she kept it down. it causes gatric upset as well as faical twitching and itchiness only by the face tho. as long as she ate first it was all good.

now this was a 20lb cat that went to 10lbs when dx'd. however the vet increased her meds to 5mg in the a.m. and 5 mg p.m. never worked for her. when she was off it she was like her old self when on it. not real lethragic but sleepy. in her final days i didnt give it to her as she had trouble breathing...late dx of feline asthma and the old vet misdiagnosed her and it was to late. the new vet wanted to keep her on the meds once we got the asthma under control but it never happened. now
what i mean by learning alot in this is..when she was dx with the asthma..i know thinking back that she may have had crf. not alot of signs but the excessive thrist could have been and an indiactor..but that would be so with diabetes and or thyriod conditon and or the meds. she was 8.5 lbs when she passed away.

me myself i dont trust tapozole. i think with my kitty it did more damge than good..but thats just my opinion. but i learned now to late that that she could have had crf. and i think her old vet should have tested her kidney function as well with her thyriod. as i am hearing alot of kitties with thyriod ahve some kind of kidney issue..so wondring if it all goes hand in hand? make sure your dad gets a good vt and great care for his kitty and keep us posted how it goes.
take care
mcihelle wub.gif
Furkidlets' Mom
mosmommy (so there's no confusion),

Yah, I don't know much about Tapazole, so may have been wrong about what it is. The kidney values would really have to be checked via bloodwork every once in awhile, to see if they're staying, or being, alarming or not. Our Doc's book has extensive info on this aspect of both testing and understanding the theory behind the disease...and keep in mind, if a cat is dehydrated, the values will show up falsely higher than what they really are...so lots to know there, too. If dehydrated enough, they then need sub-cu. fluids, but the excess must be absorbed BEFORE any bloodwork is done...usually up to 2 days, depending on the cat and how dehydrated they were to start. Creatinine is the more important marker of kidney disease, over BUN.

Also, just to be sure, keep in mind that cream of rice, although still rice, is quite different from regular rice, as it's very small and smooth by comparison, like cream of wheat, (and I ALSO used to use a hand-blender to make Nissa's even smoother;made up enough for about only about 3 days, blended it and kept it in a glass jar in the fridge)...BUT, you could also try blended, over-cooked oatmeal as well. The idea is just to cut down the protein with some grains or something else, and both rice (especially white) and oatmeal are usually easy on the digestive system. (I used oats in Nissa's homemade, raw food and it was her all-time fa*vourite grain, actually) You could also use steamed, over-cooked and pureed veg's in like fashion, if he'd go for that instead...like carrots or peas. We also used to add small amounts of veg's to Nissa's food anyway, for extra support. I also used to make up organic brown rice water (to add to the food, rather than just the purified water), as this is a really good and pretty tasteless source of electrolytes...another thing that can get depleted with kidney disease. (again, if interested, PM me and I'll tell you how to make this; it's easy, like the slippery elm) Another good practise (with ANY animal) is to get the wet food OUT of that can as soon as it's opened, and into a GLASS jar instead, as there is evidence of heavy metal and chemical poisoning (the latter from the newer coatings on the metal) from these cans in animals. And if the kidneys are struggling to begin with, it's even worse as they are one of the main filters of toxins for the body.

I would also make an effort to check any and all protocols with a holistic vet if possible, just to make darn sure that nothing, even food-wise, is contraindicated for the high thyroid condition. Since Nissa didn't have that as well, I don't know anything about that....although Tanya's CRF site might have more info on that as well.

I'm SO glad to see, though, that all of you are trying your best to thwart this problem and support Boots' health in whatever ways you are able. I know how much effort this can be and feel for all of you in this endeavor. To my mind, though, they're always worth every effort one can possibly provide and that's why I did all this ( and MUCH more!!) for my little girl. Wish I'd known more, holistically, for Sabin's cancer, at the time...that was one of the things I considered Sabin's gift to his sister when he crossed...to light a fire under his Mom's butt, so that SHE'D get extra care and 'smarts' to help Nissa for the rest of her days. Oh, and btw, homeopathic docs can be accessed over the phone...the animal doesn't need to be in the same place as the doc to get treatment prescribed.

Keep us updated, and any more questions, just ask. We're all rootin' for you all!
mosmommy
Hi,
Just a quick update about Boots. Currently, he is taking a pellet of "lycopus virginicus" for his elevated t4, and he seems to take it with his cat milk, and handles it well. This idea came from some research and conference with a local herbalist and pharmacist. They have also been trying "dandelion" tea for assisting the removal of kidney toxins, Boots doesn't seem to take to it, but it can be weakened and I told my Dad to add it to some tuna juice and purified water so the smell would hide it. He is trying to handle the "alfalfa/peppermint" tea for his vomiting and mild gingivitis, ( given at least 4 hours away from the other herbs because of the peppermint possibly affecting their productivity). The "acidophilus" is being tolerated when mixed with some tuna and chi-ck-en, and tuna is something I've been suggesting for a few weeks, not only for the strong odor, but it is easy to eat, and has some omega benefits. Stubborn as my Dad is, he finally tried it. Boots ate 4 meals of tuna (small amounts over the day) and he only spit up a bit after the fourth meal, and made stool in his box. Obviously, he digested it.
If this all holds up, he'll be taken to the vet after the holidays for his levels to be retested.
Just thought I'd let you all know, because you have been so kind in your thoughts and assistance.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Michelle
mosmommy
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that poor Boots had to be euthanized yesterday.
Based on his symptoms of not eating at all and hind leg weakness over the last 40 hours or so, I can only speculate that it was one or more organ failures.
My poor Dad! He and his girlfriend did EVERYTHING to try to save him and keep him comfortable.
They realized yesterday morning, that Boots was there for them, and it was time for them to put Boots' comfort first.
I feel so bad because I am grieving, and cannot really help my Dad the way I normally could or would. My Dad has ALWAYS thought that his situations are worse than everyone else's while he's going through them, and it can cause him to be insensitive with things like, " You didn't have Huey, or the mice, or Creep as long as we had Boots."
Like that matters. Furkidlets' Mom knows what I mean when I say that it is not about the length of a furbabies life ( any kind of furbaby) it is the love and the loss. Some of my babies were here for far too short a time, but I am home with them nearly 24/7, and he works 50 hours a week, so it all hurts. 4 Months, 14 years, is all the same to me.
My Dad is great, but he just doesn't get it right in his head sometimes. He thinks I can handle everything better because he says that I am stronger. I don't know about that, I just don't always burden him, or anyone in my proximity, with my sadness. They didn't seem to understand my loss of Cosmo, so I found all of you here, and lay my burdens with you. It has helped me more than my friends and family were able to, are able to.
I have a 14 year old cat, a 1 1/2 year old cat, a 12 1/2 year old dog, and an 11 year old dog. God forbid that anything should happen to them anytime soon, but if it did, then I could say that sort of stuff to my Dad. ( Which I NEVER would).
I can't believe I have typed so much here when I cannot even type too much about my own loss of Huey.
I just wanted you all to know because you did so much to try to help save Boots.

Michelle
AlleysMama
So sorry to hear about Boots.

And you're right, whether its 4 months or 14 years, what matters is the bond and the love that you share with them. I had Alley for 9 short years and I grieve more for her than I did for people I have lost, that I knew a lot longer!

I hope your remaining animals are doing well and I'm glad you have them there to help comfort you in your loss of Huey.
Furkidlets' Mom
Oh, Michelle! What can I say?!?!?! Poor Boots, poor YOU!! The number of your losses in such a short time is absolutely staggering!! It's a wonder you're still even standing, you poor woman!

I know many of us tend towards feeling like OUR loss is the most important and worse one possible....and the thing is, it IS, for each of us in our own little worlds. Everyone's loss is the most important and biggest one for us, because it's ours. The fact that your dad is insensitive to yours, though, isn't right, or noble, or caring. Not at all. ***sigh*** 'If only' we could make others be kinder when we're grieving ourselves. I'm so sorry you have to tolerate that behaviour, especially from your parent....but I know what that's like, too, except I had the advantage of no longer living in the same Province as my family, so could keep as much distance as I wanted whenever my Mum became 'intolerable'. Why people make grief into some sort of contest, instead of just keeping it simple and giving and getting support, I'll never know. But you KNOW you won't have to put up with stuff and nonsense like that here.

Here, we don't expect you to be strong when you're feeling weak and overwhelmed with sorrows that need be given the space and time to be grieved properly, singley and overlapping each other. Technically, I suppose you could say you're strong, just because you're still breathing after all you've been through....but that's certainly not the whole story now, is it? Frankly, I can't even imagine how you even get out of bed each day, sweetie. But you also are one of the people whom the rest of us can hold up to our own losses and say at least my own losses aren't as great as HERS, thus, you lend us hope simply through still being here!

So lay your over-taxed head on OUR shoulders and weep as you must. I wish I could change all this for you, I truly do. And I'm truly sorry to hear that Boots didn't make it longer than this, after all that loving effort. As they say, he fought the good fight but I guess it was just too much for his ailing body....poor Boots. May he have tuna from Heaven now, in endless supply. Give your dad and his girlfriend my sympathies, too, if you wish. I'll be thinking of you, Michelle... sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.