IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remembering The Good Times, What are some fond memories of your pet?
katzen11
post Oct 18 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #21

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 3,125

well, once again, a long time ago ohmy.gif
my beloved aunt took care of our cats
since she was getting more than 70 years huh.gif
she could not remember the exactly number of cats she was responsible for smile.gif
there were 2 of them
and she was preparing fresh food (nothing else available by that time)
for them, saying,
oh, all of them were here, the grey one, the black and "the other" biggrin.gif
wub.gif my dear aunt, there were only 2 cats, your meals made them perfectly happy

eva

--------------------
in loving memory of my sweet babycat Felice
+ 8 december 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
katzen11
post Oct 18 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 3,125

i do love your stories about the cats a lot
feeling and showing you about handling your bf`s biggrin.gif
thanks a lot for sharing
cats do know a lot, before we realise, don`t they? eva

--------------------
in loving memory of my sweet babycat Felice
+ 8 december 2006

+Quote Post
kittymomma
post Oct 23 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,788

One of the funniest things our huge gray boycat did was to go after my mom's breakfast. My mom and dad were visiting several years ago. They are elderly and live in another state so it is a treat to see them. They love our cats too! My mom sat down at our corner nook to have a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Orion was extremely food oriented and jumped up on the table and headed for her bowl and got his nose pretty close in her bowl... ohmy.gif She gently pushed him back and said "No that is my breakfast, kitty!" and he just started gong back toward the bowl. Over and over they did this little dance, my mom was laughing cause he was so hungry for her food. laugh.gif She did not even mind that he was on the table!!!! In our house the cats rule, they go ANYWHERE they want. I know some people freak about cats on the table or counters, but my mom just chuckeled and to this day we laugh about it. laugh.gif
Orion's Mommy

R.I.P. My babyboy...Orion 1/97-10/20/07 sad.gif

--------------------
Orion, We love and miss you, booby! You are our Angelcat now!
10/20/07

+Quote Post
radgirl
post Oct 23 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 2,503

It's raining here today and it makes me remember this story: Misty loved to play outside in the courtyard of our apartment. One day it rained really hard and it had stopped for a hile, but I knew it was going to rain again. He hated to get wet.

I told him he couldn't outside, he begged and pleaded so of course he went out.

15 minutes later I was out there with an umbrella, I located him under a bush, then held the umbrella for him and walked him to the apartment.

Of course, I was soaked!!!

+Quote Post
lisahurne
post Oct 24 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 3,733

I recently lost my baby girl, Niko, after complications from her pregnancy. I am still grieving and really depressed most of the time. But, I am able to look at her pictures and remember the good times with less tears.

One of my best memories of Niko was going absolutely everywhere together, we were inseperable. Shortly before she passed we went on a trip from Wyoming to South Dakota and she really loved that "us" time. She was always so excited to go "bye bye". I didn't even have to say it anymore, I just had to look at her then at the door and she turned into a maniac. The other thing I always try to remember is that Niko was always smiling. And she loved to sit on my tub with me whenever I took a bath.

I have many, many more good memories of my Niko, but we would be here all night. Thank you for giving me the chance to look back at our good times. I feel better.

Lisa
"Niko's mom"
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
SweenyLove
post Jan 7 2008, 06:52 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 4,220

my sweet old doggy Sweeny had to be put to sleep the other day. i am a mess, and even remembering the best times makes me sad, but i don't want to forget. i lived with my sister when we got him and we worked together. Sweeny slept with my sister and in the mornings they would both come to wake me up for work. As soon as my sister opened my door Sweeny would come bounding across the room, collar jingling, happy as can be to see me. That helped me wake right up in the mornings so I could hug and love him.

I miss him.

+Quote Post
Bonny'sMom
post Jan 7 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 4,165

These posts are so funny. Thank you all for sharing. It does help me remember the sheer joy of Bonny. Bonny was a little silly girl. That day in the shelter in October 1992, she stuck her paw out and gave it the "hey you, over here, I'm the one you want" gesture. Of course she went home with me that day. I'll never forget the drive home. She sat in my lap with her little paws on the steering wheel the entire way. Thank God the paparazzi weren't around! laugh.gif

Bonny'sMom

+Quote Post
goliath
post Jan 12 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 4,239

Just a few minutes ago I was reminded once again of my baby boy Goliath who is a chihuahua. Since it has been awhile since I cleaned in my puter room, where he and I spent at the computer with him in my lap, I decided to vaccuum and dust. When I went to polish the wood chest, I noticed the lower left side of the chest for the first time in years. Goliath rounded the corner off of it when he was just a very small puppy. He only weighed less than a pound at that time. Seeing that corner of the chest made me smile about him for the first time without making me cry. smile.gif

--------------------
Topics that include Goliath are:
Death of my Furry Baby Boy Chihuahua
Heartfelt Letter to my Goliath
Goliath and Gidget Pics
Happy Birthday Goliath
Goliath's Blessings
Bouncing Baby Browser (Goliath & Gidget's New Baby Brother)
Browser Is Missing!
Goliath Aloysius 1/25/1997 til 11/6/2007
My Gidgie Girl

+Quote Post
goliath
post Jan 13 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #29

When my little Goliath was just a puppy I had to teach him distraction to keep him out of things. So, I would take his little rope toy with the shaggy end and tickle his sweet little face with it and he would forget all about whatever it was he was into before. One day I was sitting in my chair doing some cross st*itch and he jumped up and dropped his little football in my lap. When I reached for the football, he promply grabbed my embroidery floss and took off with it. He let me know in a big way that he could distract me as well if I was doing something he didn't want me to do.

--------------------
Goliath and Gidget Pics
Happy Birthday Goliath
Goliath's Blessings
Browser Is Missing!
My Gidgie Girl

+Quote Post
JOANNE
post Jan 13 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,881

Raggs has been gone 18 months now and there are so many memories of him. even though he had a big back yard he would want me to take him for walks around the neighborhood many times a day. when I go out very early in the morning to get my paper I still feel him with me and on cold mornings saying "Raggsie hurry up I'm freezing" Oh how I would be willing to freeze anytime to have him again. Also he love to sleep at my feet while I was in my big chair and all the antics he would do when waking up stretching, sneezing etc. When the grandchildren would come he would jump in my lap not wanting me to give them too much attention as he was first. I miss him so and always will.
Enjoyed reading others stories

Raggs Mom
Joanne
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
RAGGS MILLER 12-6-1990-7-5-2006
GONE PHYSICALLY BUT YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART.
HTPP://WWW.IN-MEMORY-OF-PETS.COM #TR61122

+Quote Post
goliath
post Jan 16 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #31

As I watched my husband take the garbage out this morning I was reminded of a time when Goliath, Gidget, my hubby and I were out taking a walk. (My furrykids are chihuahuas with large ears)

There was a young boy taking the garbage out with his dad. As they stood at the curb the dad said to his little boy "Look at the doggies Adam" when his son prompty responded with Daddddddd...."Those aren't puppies they're bunny rabbits!!!

--------------------
Goliath and Gidget Pics
Happy Birthday Goliath
Goliath's Blessings
Browser Is Missing!
My Gidgie Girl

+Quote Post
goliath
post Feb 6 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #32

It was 3 months ago today that my Goliath passed into God's hands. And as I am thinking of him on this day, I recall the night before he died.

My husband was out of town and I wanted to spend some quality time with both Goliath & Gidget. So, I went to the video store and got Firehouse Dog for the 3 of us to watch.

I snuggled up in my chair and quilt with Goliath & Gidget along with a snack for myself and also brought them a few treats.

The 3 of us watched the entire movie without moving once as we stayed warm by the fireplace. We were all so cozy and happy together and I am so thankful that I had that one last time with the 3 of us together. wub.gif

--------------------
Goliath and Gidget Pics
Happy Birthday Goliath
Goliath's Blessings
Browser Is Missing!
My Gidgie Girl

+Quote Post
goliath
post Feb 7 2008, 08:48 PM
Post #33

As Valentines Day is coming next week............I am remembering one of the sweetest memories I have of my husband always either making or buying a card for me from Goliath & Gidget.

For the last 10 years I have received and saved each and every card signed by Golaith & Gidget. My hubby dipped their paws in ink so they could sign the cards themselves and then he would attach the cards to Goliath's & Gidgets collars. When I would walk in the door, both of my furry kids would greet me, cards attached. I would pick each of them up and let them smother me with their sweet and loving kisses, as I kissed them too. wub.gif

--------------------
Goliath and Gidget Pics
Happy Birthday Goliath
Goliath's Blessings
Browser Is Missing!
My Gidgie Girl

+Quote Post
goliath
post Feb 10 2008, 08:24 AM
Post #34

This morning at dawn I was awake and got up to go downstairs. As I passed the landing I remembered how much Goliath enjoyed laying there, as he kept watch outside. There is a rubber plant there, and as I looked at the plant the leaves were in such a positon that showed a sillouette of Goliath. Big ears and all. wub.gif

--------------------
Goliath and Gidget Pics
Happy Birthday Goliath
Goliath's Blessings
Browser Is Missing!
My Gidgie Girl

+Quote Post
rachelmeredith
post Feb 19 2008, 02:18 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 4,434

My first dog died when i was about 3 and i hardly remember him. But i spent the next 30 years dying for a dog. my dad would not have it, and i couldn't afford one in college, and had no yard in grad school.

so when i got Tenzing at the age of 33, well i was ecstatic. He was hit by a car on valentines day, 5 days ago and died in my arms on the way to the vet.

I am not doing very well. I am grieving both for me and for my 20 month old daughter. for although she is not sad, i know she misses him. and it tortures me to think that she will not be growing up with him. they wrestled, chased each other, she rode him and he was the most tolerant dog you could ever imagine.

i will miss his every presence in every part of my day:
poking his head into the shower and getting wet to say hi each morning
him playing fetch with a 1/2 inch piece of pine needle, that is just how obsessed he was
him running over to the vacuum when i said the word and chasing it around
holding him while my daughter cried when i was letting her cry it out and get herself back to sleep
him coming over and leaning into me whenever i cried

i know that time will make this easier, but it will never take away the tragedy. he was only 2 and a half, about 16 in human years and it is just so sad, wrong, unfair, horrible, shocking, brutal, devastating, unbelievable, and i could go on and on....

thank you for listening,

rae

+Quote Post
mpetrauski
post Feb 20 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 4,422

Hi Rae,

I was so, so sorry to read about the loss of Tenzing. I know how it is to lose a pet in such a sudden and brutal way. I was about 10 when my cat, Licorice, was hit and killed by a car. I had picked him out when I was 3 years old; he was nearly euthanized a few months after we adopted him. He had gotten into a nasty "argument" with an outside stray through the screen door of our porch and, being an ignorant little kid I went to pick up up and get him away. Somehow he got out of my arms and over my head. His claws tore my forehead open and I ended up with over 40 st*itches; I still have noticeable scars today. Although I had been seriously injured I knew (even at 4 years old) that it had been an accident and that Licky didn't have an agressive bone in his body. Despite everyone's cries against him I successfully pleaded for his life and he remained my constant companion until that awful afternoon 6 years later. We had been through a lot together and I was completely crushed when I lost him. To this day (I am almost 25) I still think about him and miss him whenever I see a black cat.

Last week I made the decision to put my cat, Toby, to sleep and I am still very much in grieving. He was extremely sweet and really the first cat I ever adopted as an adult. My boyfriend and I treated him like he was our baby and his death has been heartbreaking. I spent the first couple days just sobbing, the pain of missing him was almost physically unbearable. Coming to this forum has been a HUGE help in the grieving process, though, and I hope you gain comfort from telling your story and reading the stories of others. There's a lot of wonderful people on this forum who are more than willing to just listen.

I could keep going but I'm sure I've said plenty already! Again, my sympathy with you and your daughter. You were so lucky to have Tenzing in your lives. Don't ever forget that love does not abide by the boundries of time and space.

All the best and a huge hug....

-Marissa

--------------------
finis vitae sed non amoris - the end of life is not the end of love

+Quote Post
rachelmeredith
post Feb 21 2008, 02:04 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 4,434

Marissa,
Thank you so much for your sweet message. I connected with what you had to say since the i think the loss of the first pet is so intense, as yours was with licky, and mine with Tenzing.

I am so sorry to hear about Toby's passing. how old was he? what was your favourite thing about him? is your partner grieving as much as you are? mine is not, which i understand, but sometimes it makes me feel more alone in the sadness.

Luckily, i know that time will soften this blow, and at least i am now over the shock, but i am still tortured that i allowed him off leash that day. i felt he would be ok playing with his dear dog friend and i just wish i could be more forgiving to myself. i suppose this plays a role in putting an animal down as well. at least you have time to prepare, and you know you are doing the right thing, but what a tough decision to have to make.

thanks for your message that love does not abide by normal boundaries. when i cannot sleep (as tenzing helped put me to sleep when he was alive) I call his spirit to me. and though i cannot sense him, it does help me sleep.

wishing you good sleep, and many understanding friends nearby,
rae

+Quote Post
mpetrauski
post Feb 21 2008, 12:25 PM
Post #38

Hi Rae,

I'm so glad that my message brought you even the tiniest bit of comfort. You're right - with time the pain will be less intense.

My cat Toby was a little over a year old and we had only had him for about 7 months. He was one of two cats that we have with feline leukemia. We always knew that we our time with him would be limited but his passing was very unexpected and out of the blue. Despite his illness he was clinically healthy and full of boundless energy. Then the week before his death he seemed very tired. We thought perhaps he was feeling a bit under the weather and maybe even had a fever. We didn't start to get concerned until the weekend. By Sunday he was sleeping almost all the time. I spent a large portion of the day laying in bed with him. I spoon-fed him some baby food that night and vowed to get an appointment with our vet the next day. Monday morning was awful. He refused to eat and when I picked him up to lay him in our bed he cried in pain. I brought him some of his favorite treats, desperate to get some food in him but he just looked at them, looked up at me and cried again. I rushed him to the vet a few hours later - they thought he had a urinary blockage. But after examining him they concluded that it was probably the leukemia making its final assault. I ordered xrays and blood tests because I had to know for sure. I spent the next few hours huddled in my bed, alternating between sobbing and dozing. I was praying for a miracle but deep down I knew that I had to prepare myself to say goodbye. Tests confirmed that his spleen was enlarged and his liver was starting to fail. They said that there wasn't even a pain killer that they could give him that would really help. By this point Eric, my boyfriend and Toby's "Dad", was home and we made the decision to have him put to sleep. We went and spent our final hour with him. Although you could see he was in pain he put up a fight. They had to give him several sedatives. The next day I felt immensely guilty; I felt like he didn't want to die and for a few horrific moments I doubted my decision. Could we have done more? Gotten a second opinion? I felt really angry at the universe for putting me in this position. Later I pulled myself together and pushed those irrational thoughts out of my head. There was nothing that could have been done that would have helped him. Keeping him alive would have only been for our sakes and that would have been selfish. We loved him too much to prolong his suffering. The suddeness of his death made it all the worse but I'm thankful, at least, that he didn't suffer for very long.

Toby was like our child and my best buddy. He was always in the middle of things. If I was doing laundry, he had to be there making sure I did things right. If I was in the tub he had to come in and test the water tempature. If I was lying in bed watching tv, there he was. Both Eric and I have had many cats over the years but none like Toby. He was one-in-a-million. Sometimes when I feel myself starting to cry I like to picture him in heaven, a cartoon halo over his head, happily scratching god's white sofa to bits. He was such a naughty boy but his adorable looks let him get away with a lot. It's a silly mental image but it never fails to make me laugh.

Please do not feel guilty over letting Tenzing off his lease. It was a horrible accident that was not of your doing. The exact same thing actually happened to my mother's dog when she was a child. Her father took Hexel for a walk, let her off her lease and then tragedy struck. To this day he feels bad about it, which is understandable, but he let his guilt overwhelm him and he never had another pet again. Don't make that mistake! Just like good people, sometimes bad things happen to good animals, whether it is a disease or accident or whatever. It doesn't make sense, it hurts like hell, but it's not our faults. All we can do is hold on to our wonderful memories and try to take something good out of all the bad. I'm not an overly religious person but I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and that while people and animals may flow in and out of our lives they always come and go for a reason.

Eric has been grieving as much as I have, which is comforting but outside of him, most people don't understand. My friends and co-workers have been kind and sympathetic but at a certain point you can see the "get over it" look in their eyes. Being alone in sadness is an awful feeling and I know it well; joining this forum has helped immensely becauase there are a hundreds of people here who know exactly what you're going through.

I aplogize for rambling on. Once I get typing I tend to get carried away! If you're feeling up to it please tell us more about Tenzing. What kind of dog was he, what are some of your fondest memories? Post pictures if you can.

Please know that I'm always happy to listen and so many people are here for you!!

HUGS

-Marissa

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mink&WillowsMom
post Feb 21 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 1,750

To reconnect with the original thread of this post, I'd like to share a particularly endearing trait Sable has. From my Missing Forum posts, you may know that I've been struggling to bond with her. She's been hanging out on the top shelf of a tall cat tower, and now every time I reach up to pet her, she licks my fingers. Not just one or two tentative licks, but lately just slathers my fingers with kitty kisses. Seeing that effort on her part is warming my heart immensely. Maybe she really does want to be here with us after all. wub.gif ~Kimberly

--------------------
...You precious children, of four feet, whiskers, and mischief...

+Quote Post
mpetrauski
post Feb 22 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #40

Kimberly,

I read your posts in the Missing forum regarding your story about finding Sable and I'm glad to hear that you two seem to be bonding. With such a loving family, how could she not want to be there with you guys?! Sounds like Miss Sable is really starting to think of you as Mommy.

She's so beautiful - she looks just like one of my parent's cats!

Keep us posted!

-Marissa

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:52 AM