IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies
> Dog Having Seizures Then Slipping Into Comatose State....help!
bluedianey
post Dec 28 2013, 01:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 8,186

Hi, my dog, my "baby" Gizmo a Rat Terrier/Pom is 3 1/2 and just started having seizures. his first one he was stiff and laying on his side, no movement but his eyeballs. He was tested for lymes, he was positive so we treated and thought all was ok. Then a few months later he was trotting along, legs crumpled, he fell, looked like strings pulled his legs straigt and pulled him onto his back, legs straight in air, then he rolled over and trotted off. a week ago he started getting clingy a few days before his next seizure. He was stiff and walking funny. Then on the day of....he started barking (he never barks) and I took him out to potty, I noticed immediantly he was totally blind...couldn't see a thing. Then he fell, got up, fell, 5 times. I picked him up and brought in house. he layed on carpet and head would drop and he would jerk it up, then drop and hed jerk it up. I picked him up and he was like steel....his body arched stiffly to right and was rigid. I layed him on sofa by me, his head dropped and he rolled to lay on side...his eyes tuned forward into fixed gaze with eyes half lidded and he slipped into a coma. he was completely unresponsive to anyting for almost 2 hours. My vet doesn't seem to believe me and is not doing anything... HELP!!!!!! I am afraid with the severity of this seizure his next might be his last...HELPPPPPPPPPP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
moon_beam
post Dec 29 2013, 12:28 PM
Post #2

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, bluedianey, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious Gizmo are doing. Yes, it is perfectly normal for dogs, cats, humans to come out of a seizure episode perfectly okay - - as though nothing had happened. And, it is not unusual for there to be an "aura" of change of behavior, etc., prior to the onset of a seizure. Blindness during a seizure can also be quite normal. HOWEVER, as seizures progress in frequency and intensity there is always the risk / reality that the dog, cat, person having the seizure will not survive. So it is very important that you find a veterinary care provider who is familiar with seizures who will be available to you when you need to seek treatment for your precious Gizmo.

And I wish to offer you some comfort with your medical journey with cancer. Please do NOT feel guilty about not "understanding" or "realizing" what has been happening with your precious Gizmo's health. There is no doubt in my mind that you are doing the very best you can under very difficult circumstances with YOUR health concerns, so please do not blame or doubt yourself for ANYTHING.

I am not a vet, so I can only answer your questions with my own speculation regarding the connection between the treatment for Lyme's and your precious Gizmo's improvement: in my limited opinion, I do not think there is any connection. As I mentioned before, it is quite normal for a dog, cat, human to improve after a seizure event without any intervention. However, it is important to try to determine the cause of Gizmo's seizures, if possible - - but in any event to begin treatment for the seizures.

Bluedianey, thank you so much for sharing your precious Gizmo with us. Please know you and your precious boy are in my thoughts and prayers, and please do let us know how things are going for the both of you.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:39 PM