Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shelley, a loving 'mommie' Calico
xxForeverxx
post Nov 6 2013, 07:32 AM
Post #181

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,430

Hi DannysMom

That is amazing actually about Shelley knowing what she wants when she cries as no matter what if I had put food in my cats bowls they would all go for the food whether they had originally wanted a cuddle or not laugh.gif Whereas sweet sweet Shelley did not take the food to start with and came to you for a cuddle which is what she wanted in the firs place.

It is wonderful to hear each time how much Mindy and Shelley are getting along. All cats have times when they get fed up of the other one but if they can make up easily then you know they have a special bond.

Do you reckon Shelly wants to meet this tabby cat across the road from you?

xxForeverxx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Nov 9 2013, 12:17 PM
Post #182

Member No.: 7,464

Hello xxForeverxx, it is always good to hear from you. Yes, I think Shelley wants to meet this tabby across from us. I even thought about knocking on their door with Shelley in tow, but they would probably think I was crazy. There is just something that really fascinates Shelley about this cat, but of course now it is too cold for him/her to go out on the balcony. He spends his days lounging on top of their couch by the window. Shelley and I had quite a few cuddles last night. She always loves touching my arm with her paws. Shelley is one of the most affectionate cats I have ever met. I think it must have been hard for her former human to give her up as she is such a sweet cat. But she has this habit of walking in front of my feet, and a few days ago I almost tripped over her while walking into the closet. I chided her and later I felt so bad about it, because she is so sensitive and easily gets her feelings hurt. I'll just have to be more careful. Do any of your cats like to crawl into your closets?

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Nov 16 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #183

Shelley is still pining away for that little tabby cat. This morning she was very vocal again as I was preparing their canned food. Mindy would have none of Shelley's antics and slapped her with a paw to quiet her down. Shelley always meows so much and then she doesn't really eat much of the canned food. Shelley and I had such a nice cuddle last night. I love holding her in my arms. She is such a gentle and affectionate cat, always licking my hand when I pet her. She must have been such a good mom to her three little kittens. I found her little fleece football under the bed last night and was throwing it for her. Of course she happily ran after it! smile.gif It always make me laugh when I see her "stomp" on some of the toys. She will stomp on them with both her hind legs, and it is just the funniest thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Nov 16 2013, 05:57 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 6,946

Hi DannysMom.

So sorry to hear that Shelley is sad.gif over missing her Tabby friend. She sounds like such a kind and sensitive soul. A true feline poet. I hope you, she and Miss Mindy are well. TTFN

TTT

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Nov 23 2013, 03:55 PM
Post #185

Tom's Dad, yes, you are so right about Shelley. She really is a kind and sensitive soul, my "little momma". Shelley watched me trimming Mindy's nails and since Mindy didn't utter a sound this time Shelley was slightly more comfortable getting her nails trimmed, but still very skittish about it and slipped out of my arms before I trimmed that last nail, so I had to get her again. Her nails were fairly long too as were Mindy's. Of course Shelley "huffed" after we were done. She just sat there, looked at me and let out a deep sigh as if to say "How could you do this to me?" She always voices her frustration by "huffing" and looking really miffed. But she is quick to forgive. Shelley laid by the window most of the afternoon, hoping to catch a glimpse of her tabby friend, but it is too cold for him to go out on the balcony. She did play a round of chase with Mindy and early this morning they galloped through the bedroom and woke me up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Nov 24 2013, 01:10 PM
Post #186

As I was bringing the groceries upstairs today Shelley took the opportunity to sit by the door and look outside. For a split second I thought it was Tina sitting there again, and I hastened to take a picture. Tina used to love sitting by the storm door to see who is walking by. Shelley gave off some high-pitched, excited little sounds. Then, Mindy came down to join her and she got excited too. I have to see about taking Shelley out on a leash for a little walk. I wonder if she would enjoy that.

She sure brought back some precious memories of Tina today, but of course Tina never looked at me this way. Shelley just always seems to have this surprised look on her face. I love the cute markings under her chin.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Nov 24 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #187

Hi DannysMom. What a great picture of Shelley!

I experienced something similar sometime back. It was a stormy night and Tang was sitting in the bedroom window. Just as I was walking by lightning lit up the room just as he turned to look at me. For a split second I could have sworn it was Tom looking back at me - and they look nothing alike blink.gif

Not sure if your girls would enjoy outings on a leash, but if you try it I hope they do. I hope you, Mindy and Shelley are well today. TTFN

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 15 2013, 07:20 PM
Post #188

Tom's Dad, maybe the way Tang looked at you in that instant reminded you so much of Tom. I know with Shelley it's probably the fact that she is also a calico like Tina and so of course she'll remind me of Tina when she does the same things Tina used to do. Shelley is an incredibly loving cat. She wanted lots of cuddles yesterday and she gets so anxious when I got and take a shower and close the bathroom door. I'm glad she hasn't figured out how to open the door! laugh.gif `

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Dec 15 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #189

Hi DannysMom.

Yeah, I know what I saw may have been wishful thinking, or maybe not. It gives me comfort to feel he is watching over us from time to time. As for Shelley not being able to open the bathroom door.... Well, isn't it Miss Mindy who has the thumbs? wink.gif

Hope you and the girls are well. TTFN

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Dec 21 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #190

Hi DannysMom

She definitley has a little crush on this tabby cat I think rolleyes.gif Would be funny if you walked up to there door with Shelley and was like "hi erm.....can our cats meet?" laugh.gif That is a lovely photo of her it really does show off the beautiful colours of her coat.

Yes mine will run in my wardrobes etc all the time and Pixie even jumps in the drawers if they are open. Does she go in the closet often? She obviously likes it in there.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Dec 26 2013, 12:44 PM
Post #191

Hello xxForeverxx, I have indeed thought about taking Shelley over to the neighbors with the tabby cat, but I think they may just slam the door in my face. She has been sitting in the window again today, looking over at their balcony. I keep telling her it's too cold for her friend to come out. Shelley does go in the closet every chance she gets. I had even locked her in the linen closet for an hour or so and she didn't even meow to let me know she was in there, but she sure wanted out! laugh.gif

She also likes to go and sit on my clothes like my Danny used to do. But she sure is skittish about having her nails trimmed and she put up a good fight this past Sunday, growling and trying awfully hard to get off my lap. I could only trim four claws on each front paw as she is too skittish about those little claws. Mindy did much better, and she is more patient. Shelley is the "nervous Nellie". Sometimes she runs around like crazy and climbs up the jungle gym and starts clawing on the scratch posts. She still loves to chase after the sponge balls when I throw them and will even run right past them when she can't stop in time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jan 11 2014, 12:29 PM
Post #192

Shelley is so funny. She has discovered how to shred wrapping paper and she bites of little pieces at a time and just spits them out. My girls let me sleep in this morning, and I really needed the extra sleep. But they sure were hungry! Shelley even shared her dry food with Mindy and let her eat from her bowl so I put some dry food in Mindy's bowl which Shelley then ate. She is such a good little cat, so considerate. I couldn't have found a better friend for Mindy. I'm just always so glad at how well they have bonded. Shelley always greets my like a rock star when I get home. She comes down the stairs and waits for me and after I feed her she wants to spend time with me and be loved. Sometimes I see her sitting in the window, waiting for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jan 19 2014, 03:26 PM
Post #193

Things did not go so well with nail trimming today. Sigh! Mindy was very cooperative, but Shelley was another story. She got so mad and growled after I got done with one paw. She swatted an angry left paw at the nail clipper and growled. I had to give up after trimming only half her left paw. Shelley is so incredibly skittish about getting her nails trimmed. And to make matters worse after she slipped out of my arms and had enough Mindy started going after her. She pounced on Shelley and beat her up as if to say "Don't be such a ninny!" Poor Shelley shrieked in protest and ran off. I tried petting her to calm her down some. She really hates getting her nails trimmed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post Jan 27 2014, 06:09 AM
Post #194

Hi DannysMom

Oh dear happy.gif she definitley sounds like she did not enjoy that! Funny how Mindy was making fun of her though. Kids will be kids wink.gif Has she forgiven you since then? I was told the other day that Ellie needs her teeth cleaned by us with a toothbrush.......not as easy as it sounds when your trying to shove a toothbrush in a mouth full of mega sharp teeth!

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Jan 29 2014, 07:15 PM
Post #195

xxForeverxx, yes, Shelley has forgiven me since then. She is a very forgiving little cat, that is for sure. We got 10 inches of snow overnight and Shelley even ventured out onto the balcony today and sat there for a minute. Reminded me soooo much of Tina! She waded into deep snow one year and then shook off her wet paws, but she still enjoyed it!

You may want to try a little finger brush with Ellie that fits onto your finger. You can try first massaging her gums without using any toothpaste and slowly getting her used to it. There are also some water additives that you can use that keep their teeth clean. I've used one for years and Danny never needed his teeth cleaned until he was 10 years old.

These are Shelley's paw prints on the balcony which got just a bit of snow
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Feb 15 2014, 12:28 PM
Post #196

Shelley is coming WAY out of her "shell". Monday night she sat in front of Mindy and looked at her as if she were sizing her up for an attack. Sure enough, Shelley pounced on her and wrestled Mindy who gave off a protesting meow and tried to escape. But Shelley was quicker and pounced on her again. I had to laugh! When Shelley first came here she was shy and a bit timid and protested every time Mindy wanted to wrestle with her, but now she is getting so bold! Last night Shelley pounced on Mindy again and Mindy hissed at her because she wasn't in the mood. But they soon made up and Mindy gave Shelley's ears and head a good cleaning. I love seeing them together like this. Shelley is so comfortable here and she watches over Mindy and gets that concerned look on her face every time I grab Mindy to put ointment on her itchy red bump.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Mar 15 2014, 11:51 AM
Post #197

Shelley and I had some good cuddles this week. This morning she licked my face and looked at me so adoringly with her big, green eyes. I am so lucky to have this little cat in my life. She is incredibly loving and gentle. She follows me around in the morning, and she loves getting attention from me. Today should be a really nice day out, in the upper 60s. So she may see her little tabby cat friend on the balcony across from us.

Shelley even comforts me like Tina used to do. Last week I was very upset about a nasty experience I had and I started crying. Shelley hopped onto my lap and started purring, and she looked up at me with her big green eyes as if to say "Please don't cry. I love you". What a sweet cat. She is a real gem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Mar 15 2014, 12:27 PM
Post #198

Hi DannysMom.

Thanks for sharing your Shelley (and Miss Mindy) with us on this beautiful Caturday. It's amazing how our companions know just what to do to comfort us when we are feeling down. I hope today is being kind to you and the girls and that you all have a most pleasant evening. TTFN

TTT

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Mar 19 2014, 06:58 PM
Post #199

My poor Shelley. She is going to be heartbroken. It looks like the people on the balcony across from us are moving. They have taken all their stuff off the balcony. Those are the people with the brown tabby cat. I am sure Shelley will miss seeing that little cat. I tried to comfort her. She looked so sad sitting there by the window.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Mar 20 2014, 09:16 AM
Post #200

Aww. Sorry hear Shelley is losing her balcony companion sad.gif Perhaps someone else with a kitty will move in there.

--------------------
Her hardest hue to hold.
But only so an hour.
So Eden sank to grief,
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >