IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cat Chemotherapy And Radiation, Worth the side effects?
Ken Albin
post Feb 15 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 854

Our cat Casper, son of Daddy Cat, developed fixed and dilated pupils. After a number of tests, including an MRI, it was determined that he has a tumor near or coming from the pituitary gland at the base of his brain. It is inoperable and is pressing on the optic chiasma, causing the pupil problem. We meet with an oncologist Monday and this is all new territory for me. I want a good quality of life for Casper and realize that treatment may lengthen his life by only several weeks to several months from what I have read, this with probable treatment side effects. Friday we find out the type of cancer and I will know whether radiation or chemotherapy will be the recommended treatment. What I want to ask to anyone who went through either process with a cat is how bad were the side effects and were they worth it for the additional time? Your thoughts? It will give me information I need to know when I visit the oncologist.

Thanks,
Ken Albin

--------------------

Daddy Cat left this world at the age of 17. His tribute page is at Daddy Cat's Tribute Page
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AlleysMama
post Feb 15 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,356

Ken, I'm so sorry to hear about Casper. I know how difficult this must be for you, especially since he is Daddy Cat's boy. I don't know anything about his condition so don't have any thoughts to offer, except my support. I would definitely do some research and possibly get a second opinion before you make any permanent decisions.

My thoughts are with you and Casper, wishing you the best.

--------------------
Read Alley's Story

May 1, 1997 to December 9, 2006 - Always in My Heart

+Quote Post
Muffins
post Feb 16 2007, 03:56 AM
Post #3

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 245

Dear Ken:

I am so very sorry to hear about Casper's wub.gif diagnosis sad.gif !

After a number of tests, including an MRI, it was determined that he has a tumor near or coming from the pituitary gland at the base of his brain. It is inoperable and is pressing on the optic chiasma, causing the pupil problem.

I'm not familiar at all with this type of problem, I'm sorry. I understand that you have an appointment on Monday with an oncologist to discuss possible treatments, etc...

Friday we find out the type of cancer and I will know whether radiation or chemotherapy will be the recommended treatment.

Here are a couple of sites for you to look at:

http://www.oncolink.org/types/article.cfm?...&ss=550&id=6003

With this one I would try and research as much as you can based on the type of cancer that Casper has. I'm sure there are many other sites that have lots of good information as well. I know (from first hand experience) that it's very easy to become overwhelmed when you're searching & searching for information..... Please don't forget to take breaks, etc.....

http://www.vescone.com/

This veterinary hospital, Vescone, has an oncology department and they just added an opthamology department. If I were in your situation, what I would do is write a letter to the veterinary oncologist at Vescone.
I'd inform them of what Casper is dealing with and ask them what "they would do" if Casper was "their patient".

I know it may sound strange, writing to someone who you don't know & they don't know you or Casper -- but, I had done something similar years ago when my precious Ernestine wub.gif was ill. I wrote to a couple of places explaining her problems, asking for advice, etc..... and, these two vets actually wrote me back & gave me information that ended up being very useful smile.gif .

I wish I had some answers for you, Ken.... Please know that you & your whole family will be in my prayers -- especially your sweet guy, Casper wub.gif .

Please keep us informed when you have the time, okay?

Peace & Love,
Denise

--------------------
Our Beloved Girl, Ernestine (AKA) "Ernie-Bird"
April, 1984 - February 7, 2004
***AFFA***
Forever, you will ALWAYS live on in our hearts!
DEPARTED FROM EARTH, NEVER FORGOTTEN.... Love, Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." Immanuel Kant

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight" Albert Schweitzer

+Quote Post
Ken Albin
post Feb 27 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 854

Casper died tonight while under anesthesia. He was being given his first radiation treatment for a brain tumor.

--------------------

Daddy Cat left this world at the age of 17. His tribute page is at Daddy Cat's Tribute Page

+Quote Post
Falconsmom
post Mar 18 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,634

I am so sorry...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:12 AM