2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Beloved Rusty
waflady
post Feb 21 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 609

Where do I begin to tell you about Rusty? ......
In 1988, I was in field training to be a police officer. My training officer and I stopped at our Sergeant's house to see the litter of puppies. The mother, a tri-colored collie, had eight beautiful bundles of fluff, some tri-colored like her, some with standard collie markings. I set my heart on choosing one like the mother, and easily talked my dear husband into acquiring a puppy. When we went to choose, a pot bellied little fellow, colored in the lovely white/brown/ black markings most collies are noted for, waddled over to me and parked himself between my feet, rolling over for a belly rub. That was it. He chose us, and there was no argument from us. ( So much for one that looked like his mother!) We took our new baby home and named him Rusty, after the many dogs in the then-popular "Far Side" cartoons.
He was nothing but a joy to us always. Extremely smart, expressive and energetic, Rusty house trained in two weeks. His vocabulary was vast, and he could fetch any toy by name. He loved to go to yard sales, where he would carefully select a stuffed animal for himself, and proudly carry it home. He loved his brothers and sisters, the three cats we also had. His heart was as brave as it was loyal, and he once chased two thieves breaking into a neighbor's car at three in the morning. He never destroyed anything in the house, and was the only dog I ever met who wouldn't eat eggs. He was most generous in waiting until we got out of our bed before he got on it. His face displayed a thousand emotions.
When Rusty was three, we decided he needed another playmate, so we had a daughter. But, despite the care and concern he obviously felt for her, he remained most loyal to us, his mom and dad. Rusty was overjoyed when we decided to leave the city lifestyle and move to a more rural area. I became a stay at home mom to both my babies. Rusty really didn't mind sharing his land with the deer or rabbits, but he barked at every bird he ever saw. He would bark at a lone feather in the yard if he confronted it! He reveled in the chance to run and generally considered himself the lord of all he surveyed. We never argued this fact.
Over the years, he suffered through surgeries on both his knees, but in general remained in excellent health. Old age slowly advanced, as it does for all of us, and his runs became walks, his hearing was lost, and his back legs became lame. Nothing could dim the bright shining intelligence and devotion in his eyes, though. The last six months of his life, we gently carried him on his necessary trips outside, and up and down the stairs. He endured the indignities of incontinence, and his once proud and muscled body began to atrophy.He could not walk more than a few steps without falling. In December, shortly before his sixteenth birthday, my beloved adopted son, as much a child of my heart as my own daughter, began to vocalize his pain to us and the look in his eyes became one of pleading. That terrible decision had to be made, and we helped our beloved Rusty cross to the other side, to be a companion to my father, and all the other great and noble dogs and cats I have had the honor to know and love. My heart is forever broken, but I am also forever blessed just to have known him. I wish I could write a novel, a sonnet, an epic ode to this great and wonderful friend. I can't wait to see him again, and pat his beautiful head, and once again watch him run.
P. S. This picture is of Rusty at approximately age 15. Still beautiful in my eyes. Always beautiful in my heart.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kathleen032
post Feb 22 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 536

Rusty sounds like an absolute joy. Thank you for sharing his wonderful story. I loved reading about him going to yard sales and carefully picking out a toy and proudly carrying it home. What a sweetie he was, and even at 15 years, he was such a handsome fellow.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Kathleen

--------------------
Shiloh and Hobbie, you're both gone from my arms, but forever in my heart.

Shiloh
1999 - Sept. 17, 2004

Hobbie
Aug. 14, 1996 - May 30, 2005

+Quote Post
Ann H
post Feb 22 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 538

What a beautiful tribute you wrote to your precious Rusty. He was indeed a handsome guy. You brought to life a picture that I could almost see with my eyes. What a wonderful boy he was who loved and was so loved by his family. Thank God we will see our babies when we ourselves make it home.
Ann

--------------------

My girls went to the Rainbow Bridge 6 weeks and 3 days apart.
Snookie had cushing's disease, and later developed diabetes. Both had cancer, Snookie had cancer of the liver, and Chili Bean had cancer of the pallet. Chili Bean was our son's chihuahua but we kept her often throughout her life and she stayed with us for the last 9 months of her life. Chili Bean also had asthma and heart failure. We will see you in Heaven my precious darlings.

Snookie Lynn Howard
2-04-94 - 12-26-04

Senorita Chili Bean Bubbles Howard
11-05-94 - 11-11-04

+Quote Post
Steph
post Feb 22 2005, 09:23 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 363

That is a very moving tribute to Rusty that you wrote. Thank you for sharing some of his life story with us.
He was a very handsome dog. He looks so distinguished in the photo.

--------------------
"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today."
- Watership Down, Richard Adams

+Quote Post
jillybromley
post Feb 22 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 594

The love in your heart for your dear Rusty comes through in the words of your beautiful tribute to him, it brought tears to my eyes.

It is so desperately sad to loose such a beautiful, intelligent and loving family member. I expect your heart feels very empty without him. I think our babies take a little piece of our hearts with them when they go to rainbow bridge, and leave a little piece of their hearts with us. That way we can remain connected to them until we see them again.

My thoughts are with you

With love
jilly

--------------------
ELLIE, my beautiful precious baby. 1st Sept 2003 - 3rd Dec 2004.
Rest peacefully my little sweetheart.

+Quote Post
waflady
post Feb 22 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #6

Thank you, thanks to all of you. You have helped me through the most difficult time in my life, and I only wish Rusty could have known you, and you him. But in a way, you do now. I miss him every day and always will, but I am accepting that he has gone on to a better place and I only hope to meet him there someday.

+Quote Post
Rusty's Mom
post Feb 23 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 605

My hearfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved Rusty. He was very handsome. Your post about him was wonderful. He sure was an awesome dog and a beloved family member.

I remember your earlier posts around the same time I joined LS. I hope you're coping better now. It's not an easy road but we're all here for you.

Thinking of you,

Hugs,
Lynn

--------------------
Rusty, I will always love you and never forget you. Thank you for more than 7 wonderful years.

XXOO

+Quote Post
zoeysdad
post Feb 23 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 448

Thanks for sharing the wonderful story of Rusty's life with you and your family. With all the ugly things going on in the world today, it is great to come to a site like this and read a beautiful love story.

Rusty spent fifteen great years with a family who loved him very much...he had to be one of the luckiest dogs on the planet. I know how much it hurt to lose him but I also know you wouldn't trade the time you had with him for anything in the world.

--------------------
"Daddies Little Man"
September 22, 1992 -- August 18, 2004

+Quote Post
waflady
post Jun 8 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #9

It has been six months today that we let you go, my buddy. I still look for you every day, in your old spots. Sarah and your dad and I played Frisbee last night, and we remembered how you always had to get in the game. I don't think I will ever stop missing you, or come home expecting you to be waiting. There will NEVER be another dog for me. You just can't replace what we had together. I hope you are well and strong again, and that you and your grandpa are together, and that we will all meet again someday. I will love you forever, my beloved boy. Thank you for choosing us!

+Quote Post
Kathleen032
post Jun 8 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 536

Dear Waflady,

I know these big anniversary dates are so hard. I think it's normal that we still look for our furbabies in all their favorite spots...I know I still think about Shiloh when I look out at the grass and see her favorite shady spot. Hobbie's only been gone a little over a week and keep looking for her at the foot of my bed.

You and Rusty are in my thoughts on his 6 month anniversary.
Hugs,
Kathleen

--------------------
Shiloh and Hobbie, you're both gone from my arms, but forever in my heart.

Shiloh
1999 - Sept. 17, 2004

Hobbie
Aug. 14, 1996 - May 30, 2005

+Quote Post
Rusty's Mom
post Jun 9 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 605

Dear Waflady,

Thinking of you on the 6 month anniversary of the loss of your beloved Rusty. Yes, we both lost our Rusty's on the same day and I do hope they're together somewhere with all of the other precious LS pets, feeling young again and pain-free.

Wishing you peace.

Love,
Lynn

--------------------
Rusty, I will always love you and never forget you. Thank you for more than 7 wonderful years.

XXOO

+Quote Post
jillybromley
post Jun 10 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 594

I'm thinking of you at this time of Rusty's six month anniversary.

I've just last week been through the 6 month anniversary myself. It is so hard. Your Rusty was such a beautiful boy, and I know you must miss him such a lot.

I still look for Ellie in her favorite haunts. It's going to take a long long time before I finally realise that she is gone and stop looking for her. I understand just what you say when you still look for Rusty, or expect him to be there when you come home, or miss and remember him when you are playing certain games that he used to join in. So so sad.

But I am sure he is healed and well and strong again now, and playing happily until the time comes when you will all be together once again.

Thinking of you today
with love
jilly

--------------------
ELLIE, my beautiful precious baby. 1st Sept 2003 - 3rd Dec 2004.
Rest peacefully my little sweetheart.

+Quote Post
waflady
post Dec 23 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #13

It's been a little over a year now that we let Rusty go. Although I still miss him every day, and know that I always will, I feel that I am finallyat a peaceful place with his passing. I hope that this Christmas season will be as joyful as possible for all the wonderful people here at LS. I am eternally grateful for the love and help that I found here.
Remember the love. It's all that matters in this life. Tell those you love how you feel. Our babies loved us unconditionally, as we did them. It's the greatest gift on this earth.
Merry Christmas. I love you, Rusty.

+Quote Post
waflady
post Dec 12 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #14

Three long years have passed without Rusty to share them with us. I know we had to let him go, but I will never, ever stop missing him. My heart goes out to all of the new members here, who are experiencing the loss of a beloved friend. Time does heal. Remember all the wonderful times and know that our babies are at peace now. Rusty, I will always love and miss you. Thank you for choosing us.

+Quote Post
waflady
post Dec 8 2008, 07:11 AM
Post #15

Four years. Where does the time go? I miss Rusty every single day, and I always will. I am so thankful that he was a part of our lives, and I wish I could have another sixteen years with him. Peace be with you, my baby boy. I love you.

+Quote Post
waflady
post Dec 8 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #16

We will never forget. Love you always buddy.

+Quote Post
waflady
post Dec 8 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #17

Six years gone. I will always miss you, my beloved Rusty. Not a day goes by that I do not think of you and give thanks for the joy you gave to us. May you run free and be forever young.

+Quote Post
waflady
post Dec 8 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #18

Although it has been seven years since we were together, I still miss you every day. You will forever be our baby. We love you Rusty.

+Quote Post
waflady
post Dec 8 2012, 08:53 AM
Post #19

Can it really be eight years since we last saw each other? The Christmas tree reminds me of your patience each year, waiting until morning to open your gifts. I miss you every day. Loving and missing you as always, my beloved Rusty.

+Quote Post
Gretta's Mom
post Dec 8 2012, 02:43 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,067

Dear waflady

Your love for Rusty shines through every one of your posts. His picture is iunbelievable. His eyes are speaking even in the picture. You are so failthful in reminding the world that this increadible dog lived, loved and STILL is doing that. Eight years is a long time. Not many people would keep on remembering a beautiful being after sso many years. Wonderful person, wonderful dog! I love you, too, Rusty. You're gorgeous.

Gretta's mom

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:33 AM