Forum Rules Site Rules and Courtesies

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do Dogs Go To Heaven?, Wondering other's opinions
Kelli
post Dec 25 2013, 07:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 8,181

We had to put down my 14 year old boxer yesterday. I'm an only child and we've had her over half my life so she was and forever will be my sister. The past 24 hours have been extremely hard for my dad and I. For a moment I started to feel a bit better thinking I'll one day be seeing her on the other side, but then I remembered being taught in religion class back in high school that only humans have souls and therefore animals don't go to heaven. I was thinking about that all last night and it's driving me crazy. I was hoping to hear other's views on the topic. My religion teacher was sometimes a jerk and could've said that just to torture our class. I don't really mean to talk necessarily about religion. I guess I just want to hear that maybe there's hope I was taught wrong.

Also, any information on how to help my dad with the greiving process would be very much appreciated. He's been no stop pacing around the house all night and today moaning and not wanting to sit down or lay in bed. I just don't know how to help him since I can barely function too.

Thank you for any help you can give and Merry Christmas.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post Dec 25 2013, 09:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,946

Hello Kelli.

First let me express my deepest condolences on the loss of your precious companion and fur sister. Perhaps this will help:

Ecclesiastes 3:18-21
English Standard Version (ESV)
18 I said in my heart with regard to the children of man that God is testing them that they may see that they themselves are but beasts. 19 For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is vanity.[a] 20 All go to one place. All are from the dust, and to dust all return. 21 Who knows whether the spirit of man goes upward and the spirit of the beast goes down into the earth?

I am not a religious man, but I do believe in God and consider myself spiritual. I lost my dear Sir Thomas just over 3 years ago. It was through him that I came to truly appreciate the real value of our animal companions. A true fur angel if there ever was one. There are many people on here with a better way with words than I who will no doubt come to offer comfort and support. In the mean time, I hope this will help:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/grieving_pets.htm

Peace and Blessings

Tom, Theresa, and Tang's Dad.

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
MaryB
post Dec 26 2013, 08:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,178

I absolutely believe that our companions go to heaven. And I absolutely believe that we will be reunited with them when we pass. If heaven is all my heart's desire and I will be reunited with my loved ones, then I WILL be reunited with my cats because they are part of my love and my heart's desire.

I have no "proof", but your religion teacher has no "proof" for his stand either.

I'm sorry for your loss.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Dec 26 2013, 01:06 PM
Post #4

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Kelli, please permit me to offer you and your dad my sincerest sympathies in the physical loss of your beloved companion. Losing a companion is never easy regardless of the circumstances or how long we are blessed with the privilege of their company. Euthanasia is the last gift of love we can give to our companions so that they can be restored to their former youthfulness in the company of the angels.

Kelli, this grief journey is one of the most painful experiences you and your dad will know on this side of eternity. It is filled with many different emotions that can overwhelm us all at one time - - it is a journey that is frequently referred to as a horror roller coaster ride. Even those who profess who an unshakeable faith can find their faith sorely tested when coping with the deep sorrow of the loss of a loved one - - whoever the life form.

Sadly, many of the structured religions profess the philosopy that only humans are allowed in heaven - - whatever our heart's impression is of what constitutes a "heaven." As Tom's Dad has shared with you one Scripture testifying to our beloved companion's eternal home, there are many more other Scripture verses that confirm this Old Testament Scripture. From my own individual study of the Scriptures on this topic, there is no doubt in my mind that our beloved companions share in our eternal joy, and I would be happy to personally share with you the results of my study if you would like me to.

Faith is the thing hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. The important thing for you and your dad to focus on is what YOU believe, and what YOUR heart's desire is when it comes to sharing eternity with your beloved companions.

There are several good books on grieving the physical loss of a beloved companion which may help you and your dad as you both travel your grief adjustment journeys individually as well as together. And please know you are among friends here who truly DO understand what you and your dad are going through, and we are here for you for as long and as often as you need us.

As you and your dad continue your earthly journeys, I hope you will find comfort in knowing that the love bond you and your beloved companion share is eternal - - it is not restricted to the physical laws of time and space. Your beloved companion's sweet Living Spirit continues to share your earthly journey as she always has and always will - - for your beloved companion is always and forever a part of your heart and memories, Kelli, - - she is always and forever a heartbeat close to you.

I know all too well from first hand experience that when our hearts are entrenched in deep grief there really are no adequate words in any language that can soothe the seering pain of sorrow. Still I hope the words I share with you will be able to offer you some measure of comfort, support, encouragement, and hope as you and your dad travel you grief adjustment journeys.

Thank you so much for sharing your beloved companion with us, Kelli. Perhaps sometime you would like to share a picture of her with us - - but only when / if you want to. Please know you and your dad are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you're doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:48 AM