11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shelley, a loving 'mommie' Calico
DannysMom
post May 14 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,464

Perhaps it was too soon to welcome a new addition to the family. It's only been two weeks since my sweet Tina passed on, and I miss her dearly. But there is something about this little cat. She has already touched my heart after only a few days. I named her Shelley. She is almost 1 year old. She had a litter of three beautiful kittens about 3 months ago, and nursing them has taken a lot out of her. She weighs only 6.5 pounds and could easily gain 1 pound without being overweight. In comparison, my Tina weighed 6.8 pounds when she died, and she was awful thin. Shelley is eating well, and that is good. She was hiding a lot at first, but now she is starting to come out of her 'shell', so to speak. Mindy has been chasing her, and that scares her. Shelley is a very loving cat. She likes to talk to me with little chirps and guttural sounds and almost coos like a dove. She has little flecks of color on her chest. She grabbed one of Tina's old catnip pillows and played with it and kicked it. She also likes the feather wand that Tina played with. Saturday morning she startled me when I woke up. She sat upright by my feet and looked at me with those gentle, green eyes. She and Mindy have touched noses today, and when I sat down on the bed Mindy snuggled up to me on my left side, and then Shelley snuggled up to me on my right side. It was amazing. Shelley did real good at the vet and got a clean bill of health.

Attached Image

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 14 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,946

DannysMom

What a beautiful young lady Shelley is. When it comes to sharing our hearts with animal companions, there is no "too soon" Only when it's supposed to hapen. Perhaps your Tina's living spirit guided Shelley your way, as Tom did with me and Tang. It's good to hear she and Mindy are getting along OK. I am chuckling at the "chirps" that's what Theresa did for the longest time before she found her "voice" Hope you and your fur kidletts are doing well today.

TTT

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 14 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #3

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, DannysMom, please permit me to offer you my sincere congratulations on your new family member Shelley. What a sweet face!!! DannysMom, plesae know your beloved Tina is very proud of you for welcoming this new little girl into your and little Mindy's heart and home. It sounds to me like your beloved Tina guided your and Shelley's paths to this moment when you would become her Forever Mom.

DannysMom, it does take time for a "new" family unit to feel comfortable, and this is true for your new baby girl Shelley as well. She is among "strangers" right now and she is very unsure as to how she "fits in" with the family unit. Your beloved Tina, and Danny, know that you will do everything in your power to help her feel loved and wanted, and take care of her so that she will have a happy and healthy earthly journey. So, enjoy your new family member, DannysMom. And rest assured that your little Mindy will be okay too.

I hope today is treating you, your precious little Mindy and baby girl Shelley kindly, and that you and your precious girls will have a very peaceful and cozy evening. I thank you for the blessing of your friendship, and of your precious little girls. Please know you and your precious furkids are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to sharing how things are going for you and your little girls, and your treasured memories of your beloved Tina and Danny.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post May 14 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #4

Moon_beam, and Tom's Dad, thanks so much for stopping by to read about Shelley. She is quite a cat. It is so funny how she comes out from under the bed, first her paws, and then her head. She sniffed on Mindy's back today, only to be rewarded by a growl from Mindy. But it's a start. They're curious about each other. I thought I'd share the photo of the two of them on my bed together. Mindy is resting her head on a toy. You can see Shelley's colorful front legs. I am glad she is getting more comfortable here.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 15 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #5

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing, and this wonderful picture of your little Mindy and baby girl Shelley sharing some "quailty time" together. I know in time your little girls will be good frieinds - - it just happens one day at a time - - as all friendships do.

I hope today is treating you and your precious girls kindly, DannysMom, and that you and your precious furkids will have a very peaceful and cozy evening. Please know you, your precious little Mindy and baby girl Shelley are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you're doing and sharing your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
leejaye
post May 15 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,103

Dear DannysMom, Shelley is one beautiful girl - I wish you and Mindy many more years of happiness together and look forward to any more stories or photos you wish to share, hope the universe is kind to you, Leejaye

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post May 19 2012, 02:27 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the well wishes, leejaye! smile.gif Shelley is very sweet, and I really like that photo of her and Mindy on the bed. Shelley's face looks like she is smiling.

It's been one week now since I brought Shelley home, and what a difference this week has made! Miss Shelley has really come out of her 'shell' in the past two days. She is feeling more comfortable here and ventures out of the bedroom more. She has also discovered the little toy mice that are strewn all over the place here. She LOVES them! And she is so acrobatic! She plays with the toy mice as if they are real. It is so much fun to watch. Mindy tries to imitate her, but doesn't quite get it. Shelley flips the mouse in the air, then jumps and catches it in mid-air. Earlier today, she was sunning herself by the open window. And what a talker she is! She makes all these little grunts, chirps, and cries. She is also very intelligent. She likes greeting me in the morning by rubbing her nose against mine. Shelley is still thin (nursing her kittens took a lot out of her), but she is eating good, and I hope she'll gain weight quickly. She weighed 6.5 pounds when I got her, and she could easily put on 1 pound or even 1 1/2 pounds without being overweight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 19 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #8

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you, your precious Mindy, and baby girl Shelley are doing. I am sooo thrilled to share your news that Shelley is beginning to settle in - - to come to know she has a FOREVER HOME!!! I am sooooo happy for you - - I know your heart is feeling more at peace.

I hope today is treating you and your precious girls kindly, and that you and your precious furkids will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening. Please know you, your precious little Mindy and baby girl Shelley are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you're doing and sharing your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post May 20 2012, 03:11 PM
Post #9

Thanks, moon_beam. I am very happy that Shelley is more comfortable here. Last night and this afternoon she has been napping in the 'kitty condo' that's part of the big cat jungle gym. She even chased Mindy earlier today, and then Mindy chased her right back. She rubbed noses a few times with Mindy and each time Shelley affectionately 'nudged' Mindy. I am so glad the two girls are beginning to play more together. Here is a photo of Shelley napping in the little kitty condo. It used to be one of Danny's favorite spots.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
leejaye
post May 20 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #10

Dear DannysMom, It's just wonderful to hear that Shelley is settling in - I can just picture her with the toy mice!! And it's so good that both girls are getting used to each other, thankyou so much for the photo of Shelley napping in the cat condo, she is really a beautiful girl, give them their favourite pats for me, Leejaye

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post May 21 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #11

Thanks for the comment on Shelley's photo, leejaye. She is really cute. Shelley has little light-colored dots on her chest and abdomen. I have not seen this before in a calico cat. I think I figured out why Shelley has been so friendly and nudging Mindy. She is in a heat cycle! laugh.gif
I should have recognized the behavior for what it is, but it has been so long since I've had a cat that's not spayed (yet). I hope I don't have any stray tomcats showing up here, wailing for Miss Shelley.

--------------------

+Quote Post
leejaye
post May 22 2012, 03:32 AM
Post #12

Hey DannysMom, Aha, that explains the friendliness! My Mischief girl was 18 months before I got her desexed, when she was on heat she just didn't want to know me but drooled all over my male flatmate and any male (human) visitors!! I hope you don't have any tomcats doing the rounds either!! Really hope all is good in your world, give the lovely ladies a pat for me, Leejaye PS I'd love to see more photos if you want to share them!!

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post May 23 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,430

DannysMom

I thought it was too soon two months after losing Chewy getting Ellie but I am so glad I did as she reminds me of him.....and I like that as it reminds me of how lucky I was to have Chewy. It also reminds me of how it was Chewy who made me love cats and now I just want to spread my love to helping more.

She is gorgeous! And I and I can't think o a better person to look aft her. It took Ellie time to bond with the other two. That photo of them two together shows a good start though.

Do they play fight together yet? Although both being girls they are probably less likely to do that I suppose.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 23 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #14

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you and your precious baby girl Shelley are doing. Yes, when the hormones are flowing the more amorous the affections become. Hopefully come the first of June when the "surgery" is scheduled the "love cycle" will have cooled a bit.

I hope today is treating you, your precious Mindy and baby girl Shelley kindly, and that you and your precious furkids will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening. Please know you, your precious little Mindy and baby girl Shelley are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you're doing and sharing your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post May 23 2012, 06:21 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (xxForeverxx @ May 23 2012, 11:35 AM) *
DannysMom

I thought it was too soon two months after losing Chewy getting Ellie but I am so glad I did as she reminds me of him.....and I like that as it reminds me of how lucky I was to have Chewy. It also reminds me of how it was Chewy who made me love cats and now I just want to spread my love to helping more.

She is gorgeous! And I and I can't think o a better person to look aft her. It took Ellie time to bond with the other two. That photo of them two together shows a good start though.

Do they play fight together yet? Although both being girls they are probably less likely to do that I suppose.

xxForeverxx

xxForeverxx, that is a nice thing you did adopting Ellie. Your sweet Chewy must have had a 'paw' in guiding you to her. I think it took Mindy and Shelley less time to get used to each other, because Shelley is in heat and therefore very loving and always nudging Mindy. They don't play fight as Shelley doesn't really get into fighting (she is a very sweet and somewhat timid cat), but they do chase each other with Mindy more often chasing Shelley. They're almost the same age, so that works out well. Shelley is a big talker, making all sorts of grunts, chirps, and squawks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post May 25 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #16

Shelley had her spay surgery today and it went well. I am very thankful that she made it through without complications as I had been worried about her. She is a bit of a fussy cat, and she's also clever and gave Mindy's old plastic e-collar the slip without a problem. So, now she's wearing this big, blue, soft vinyl e-collar. She doesn't like it, but she can eat and drink water and lie down comfortably. Shelley wouldn't stop licking her incision, so this is for her protection. How do you explain to them that they need this silly, big collar? I feel so bad for my little girl. Mindy did much better with her e-collar and didn't put up a fight. She seemed to understand that it was necessary. I do hope Shelley gets used to it. Sigh! Male cats are so much easier to deal with when it comes to that kind of procedure.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 26 2012, 11:46 AM
Post #17

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing, and how your precious baby girl is doing with her recovery. Yes, I know it can be very distressing having to be the one to insist that our furkids do something that is not to their liking at all - - like wearing an e-collar. Hopefully you will be able to transition her out of it over the next several days - - providing she is a "good girl" with not bothering her incision. The good news is that she is more comfortable with this collar than the more rigid plastic ones. Please let us know how things go.

I hope today is treating you, your precious Mindy and baby girl Shelley kindly, and that you and your precious girls will have a good long weekend together. Please know you, your precious little Mindy and baby girl Shelley are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you're doing and sharing your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom's Dad
post May 26 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 6,946

Hello, DannysMom

Oh no, the dreaded FUNNEL! Bless her heart. She looks like she's saying "Mommy what IS this thing, and why oh why do I have to wear it?" Hopefully it won't be too long. Hoping this holiday weekend is treating you and your girls well.

TTT

--------------------
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post May 26 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #19

moon_beam and Tom's Dad, thanks very much for your comments. Shelley is indeed not happy with this big blue funnel that makes her look like some sort of clown, but she is tolerating it better than the rigid, plastic one. She gave the collar the slip in the litter box earlier, so I had to put it back on and tie it. Sigh! Shelley snuggled up with me on the bed this morning, and she just loves attention. Mindy did hiss at her a bit last night because of the strange smells from the vet, but she is nice again to her little friend today. I've been giving Shelley some pain medication which I only need to rub on her gums, and that seems to help. I hope that maybe on Tuesday or Wednesday I can take off the collar. Poor Shelley! I feel so bad for her and try to make her as comfortable as possible. This is a bit exhausting for me as I worry about her incision.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 26 2012, 02:08 PM
Post #20

Forum Moderator

Hi, DannysMom, thank you so much for sharing with us how you, your precious Mindy, and baby girl Shelley are doing. Our furkids are so ingenius about finding ways to wriggle out of things - - collars, halters, - - e-collars. I'm glad you put it back on her because she needs to know that it only comes off when YOU want it to come off.

I can understand your concern about her incision, for I, too, worried about my baby girl Abbygayle's incisions as well - - her "female" surgery and each of her cancer surgeries. Please know you and your precious baby girl are in my thoughts and prayers and please let us know how things are going.

Once again, I hope today is treating you, your precious Mindy and baby girl Shelley kindly, and that you and your precious girls will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening. Please know you, your precious little Mindy and baby girl Shelley are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I always look forward to knowing how you're doing and sharing your treasured memories of your beloved Danny and Tina.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:28 PM