Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Leopold Is Missing!, My Bengal Cat
ladywolf
post May 10 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #21

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 6,254

QUOTE (Cheryl83 @ May 10 2011, 05:08 AM) *
Margi, everytime I log onto the forum I'm hoping and praying for some good news. I'm so sorry it hasn't come yet. But please keep trying. We're all right there with you in spirit --- searching with you, calling his name, and wishing for his safe return. I hope the reward helps.

Oh, Leo, please return home to your Mom -- she is very worried about you and loves you very much!!! In fact, this whole forum has also fallen in love with you. So, be a good boy and put all of our minds at ease.

Big hugs, Cheryl xx

Cheryl (and everyone)--

Your reply made me cry, but they were tears I needed to shed! To think that this whole Forum is in love with my baby boy and is pulling for us is just so sweet!

Am I crazy? I am already thinking of calling the Bengal breeder to see if he has another "reject" kitten he would give to me for free, as he did with Leopold. I can't stand the empty house. If Leo never does come home, well, then, I would have someone new to love and tear my hair out over, and if he does come home, he would have a new, constant playmate to torture--kind of a replacement for his beloved Ginger. (Bengals play very rough!) I dread the thought of admitting to Larry, the breeder, that Leo is gone, but it is hardly my fault now, is it?

Then I think, "Margi, it is too soon." And then I think, "No, it isn't. I can't stand the empty house!"

What do you guys and gals think?

New signs are up around town now with the reward offered, but so far, no takers...

I cry every night when I pull in the drive and there's no sign of Leopold anywhere, and I'm sleeping very poorly because there's no soft warm body curled up in bed with me.

Hugs--Margi and Spiritwolf
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Peggy's Human
post May 11 2011, 04:06 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 7,037

Dear Ladywolf,

I'm so sorry that Leopold is missing and that you're faced with this painful situation (and still having to contend with the people that were living in that house but still won't go away). I've been following your posts and have been praying that you and Leopold would reunite quickly. I'm so sorry that it hasn't worked out that way yet. Cheryl is correct when she said everyone on the site has fallen in love with him (and everything else she said is correct too!) and care deeply about you both. I still think (and pray) there's a good chance he'll come home again. Hopefully, he's just waiting for what he thinks is the right time. I once had a cat with wanderlust, who disappeared for a month. As you know, with cats, you never know when they're going to wander back in like they were never gone.

I think that if you feel that getting a companion to help you through this time and as company for Leopold, when he returns, is the right way to go, then you should check out the possibiities. We never know why things work out the way they do. The best we can do is follow our hearts. pray for direction and trust that we're doing the right thing when we feel it's time to reach out to offer another soul a loving home. Maybe there's a cat/kitten in need and this event is what brings you together. If you feel the time is right, then I think you should explore the possibilites.

You and Leopold are in my prayers and I wish you a peace filled week.

Take care of yourself.

Peggy (the human)

+Quote Post
Cheryl83
post May 11 2011, 05:10 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 6,508

Margi,

I know how desperate and lonely you must be feeling, but my opinion is that you should probably try to wait a little longer. I only say this because when (I refuse to say 'if') Leopold decides to come home, and he senses another stranger in his home, he may very well feel unsettled and decide to turn right back around. He will be feeling very sensitive, and will need familiarity and security, so it's perhaps not the best time to introduce a new companion.

But saying this, as I said, I do understand how you're feeling. And if you feel in your heart that it's the best thing to do, then you will have my full support.

Thinking of you and Leo,
Cheryl xx

--------------------
It broke our hearts to lose you, but you didn't go alone,
For parts of us went with you ... the day God called you home

My beautiful Angel, Daisy - I will love and miss you forever xx

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post May 11 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #24

Hi Cheryl and Peggy,

Yes, Cheryl, you're probably right. Even though Leopold LOVES other kitties, he might react badly to finding an interloper in "his" house if he does return.
Comfort and familiarity WILL be very important to him, if he manages to overcome his fear of the dogs that were scaring him, but aren't there now.

I have a little bit more hope for this weekend. I read in an article about lost cats that cats can go FOURTEEN days without any substantial water. Thaat's why so many of them come home at the two-week mark, and this weekend will be two weeks for Leopold. Also, I will be home all weekend, which I'm not during the week, and a friend's dog whom Leopold loves will be staying with me too.

Keep your fingers crossed for us--anything could happen!

Hugs--Margi and Spiritwolf

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 11 2011, 03:24 PM
Post #25

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Margi, I can so imagine how lonely your heart and home feel without your precious Leopold. I do agree with Cheryl and Peggy - - give Leopold more time to find his way back home. And keep calling him and telling him that you love him and want him back home with you. And if you can - - continue looking for him. Take some treats or some of his favorite food with you so that if you do spot him you can entice him to come to you with his favorite treat - - and then perhaps you can find a way to get him in your arms and don't let go of him!!!

Margi, I pray frequently every day that when I log on I will find a post letting us know that you and your precious Leopold are reunited. Please know you both are in my thoughts and prayers, Margi, and look forward to knowing how you're doing and how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post May 12 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #26

Sigh, everyone--I came home today and "Lurch" as I call him (Chance is his name), was parked right in front of my house with four or five of his dogs in his truck. So even if Leopold DID come home, as long as the sociopath is hanging around with his dogs, there's no way that Leopold would be likely to stay...

I want this guy to get ARRESTED and out of our driveway. I suppose he was visiting Tommy, and so, had a legitimate reason to be here. Sort of. What a fiasco!!

Damn!

Margi and Spiritwolf

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 12 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #27

Forum Moderator

Hi, Margi, thank you for sharing with us what is going on. I am so sorry that Chance is still making his obnoxious presence known in the 'hood. I wish that your precious Leopold could let you know that he is close by so that you could at least know that he is safe.

Margi, I wish I could think of a way of making that nuisance Chance disappear - - but I don't have that power. The most important thing is for your precious Leopold to feel safe to come back home, and that is where my thoughts and prayers are focused.

Thank you, Margi, for sharing with us the status of your precious Leopold. Please do know that you both are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy, healthy, and permanent reunion.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
Peggy's Human
post May 13 2011, 01:21 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 7,037

Hi Margie,

I'm sorry Leopold hasn't come back yet and I'm sorry that you're having to deal with Lurch. I have an obnoxious neighbor that brings in the same type of people as Lurch. Then they ride their dirt bikes all day long, on my property and within feet of everyone's houses, so I know exactly what you mean about how invasive it is. In my case, the police won't do anything about it (they all went to school together and are 'townies', whereas I've only lived in this town for 8 years). It's amazing because my town likes to promote itself a 'high end' New England town and we only live about 1/8 of a mile from the very center of town, as the crow flies. It's amazing how these obnoxious people can invade our personal space, negatively impact our lives and nobody seems to have the power or willingness to force them to behave like decent people. Instead, they act like they're the only ones with rights and the rest of us have to suck up whatever garbage they feel like throwing out there (but God help any of us who treat them with the same self-absorbed disregard). I wish I could offer some advice on how to handle him and if I ever figure out what works, I'll share it with you. I hesitate to ask this but do you feel comfortable enough to talk with the police in your town? I mean stopping into the police station, as opposed to talking to them on the phone. It could be that they're aware of illegal activity at that house and may be willing to put some pressure on them and drive them off for a while. However, if you feel it wouldn't be safe for you to do that, then I withdraw that suggestion!

I can tell you that cats can go quite a while without food and water, as you already know. However, with Leopold, I'm betting he's good at catching dinner 'on the hoof' and finding a water source. Now that the nice weather is here, he can survive outside for a long time so please don't give up hope. I once had a cat disappear for a month (no kidding and not exaggerating), she came home after we had given up hope. She was dirty, skinny and bedraggled but she was home. She was a cat with wanderlust but she stuck close to home for about 3 months after that and never took off for that long again.

Please know that you and Leopold are in my prayers and I hope he manages to find his way back to you this weekend.

Please take care of yourself.

Peggy

+Quote Post
sad
post May 13 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 6,483

I really hope that Leopold has found someplace to stay where he is being cared for until he can be reunited with you. As you said he is very friendly so I hope he has found someone kind to help him out for now. I agree that talking with the police is a good idea-about the former neighbor. If you can safely make it unpleasant for him to hang around the neighborhood than Leo if he is watching can feel safe to return. And yes your stories of Leopold have made us all love him and want him to return safely and soon.

+Quote Post
madi
post May 13 2011, 09:32 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 6,207

Oh Margi, I can't believe I have come back after all this time to read such a sad post about your Leopold. A missing pet is so distressing, you just never stop looking and it is exhausting. It does sound like Leopold may have run off because of your pesky neighbours, cats will do that if their territory is compramised. All those dogs, gees, enough to scare any cat away. Just keep looking Margi, I wish I could help you, put out the flyers, check the pounds, the council etc, get the neighbours to watch out for him as well. I pray he comes back, I really feel for you Margi. Hugs from an old friend xx

Madi xx

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post May 15 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #31

Thanks Sad, Madi, Moon_beam, everyone!

Unfortunately, tipping the police off to the illegal activities of this idiot might also get my long-standing neighbor Tommy in trouble as well, and I really like Tommy and would never do anything to harm him. Chance lives in the woods at night--he doesn't HAVE a house, so the only place the police could track him down for sure would be here, which would be way too risky for me. Chance knows that I detest him, and he WOULD take retribution on me. I'd be putting myself in grave danger, believe me.

So we're kind of stuck with the situation as it stands. Luckily, Tommy will be going away for part of the summer, and then Chance won't have anyone to visit in this complex for a little while, anyway, I HOPE.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how terrified poor Leopold must have been with all those rangy dogs running around. Leo is a tough guy, but no cat can stand up to six dogs. He also got locked into my storage building for the night before he split--yet another trauma inflicted on the poor little guy. If I was a self-respecting, independent cat, I think I would have left here too and gone in search of more peaceful, safer digs. I do believe that he is alive--just living with someone else who isn't honest enough to let me know. (My sign at the P.O. with "REWARD" on it has probably been seen by almost everyone in town by now. We all have P.O. boxes in this rural area, and have to go to the P.O. to get our mail, and almost everyone reads the bulletin board at some point or other.)

Ah, but my heart does hurt. A lot. This cat was more special to me than any other I've ever had, and I would have done ANYTHING to keep him safe and happy... Heck, I DID do something major for him--I called the landlord on Chance, and put myself in jeopardy that time too. It was all I could do, though.

Leopold, wherever you are, I hope you are being well cared-for and loved!!

Tearing up now--Margi and Spiritwolf

+Quote Post
Cheryl83
post May 16 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 6,508

Dear Margi,

Your latest post brought me to tears sad.gif I was soooo hoping that I would log on to some good news. I guess all we can do is -- as you say -- hope that Leo is happy and safe wherever he is right now. I'm not sure why, but I just feel so strongly in my heart that he IS safe. I'm not just saying that to comfort you, I really FEEL it. I'm also not giving up hope that he still might wonder home when things quieten down a little.

I will continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Big, big hugs -- Cheryl xx

--------------------
It broke our hearts to lose you, but you didn't go alone,
For parts of us went with you ... the day God called you home

My beautiful Angel, Daisy - I will love and miss you forever xx

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 16 2011, 01:53 PM
Post #33

Forum Moderator

Hi, Margi, you are making the BEST decision NOT to call the police on Chance. I have been where you are and that's one of the many reasons why I moved out of the city into the country side as far away as I could possibly get from the "crowd" - - both for my safety and that of my furkids. I have no regrets but it did take a toll on me financially for awhile.

Like Cheryl I am keeping you and your precious Sir Leopold close in my thoughts and prayers that someday you both will be reunited. I am so very sorry you and Sir Leopold have gone through such a tribulation - - for you both have a very special place in my heart.

I'm wishing you a peaceful heart until you and Sir Leopold are reunited, and please let us know how you're doing, my friend.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post May 16 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #34

Dear Peggy (I'm sorry, I forgot to mention your name above), Moon_beam and Cheryl and everyone--

You know, I feel very strongly that Leopold is alive and well myself--in fact, I feel that he is living somewhere on my very own road, which is a short one. I haven't canvassed all the neighbors, though I have a few. Some of the houses are sort of imposing in that they have locked gates or long, long driveways--these places I've not had the courage to approach. But apparently behind one of those locked gates lives someone who takes in stray cats, and has a lot of them. There is no mailbox, so I guess I'll leave a note attached to the gate. I think Leopold is right on John Adams Road. I just FEEL him so strongly when I go out walking and looking, which I confess I am getting lax about doing by now.

it's so hard to grieve in a situation like this one. One doesn't even know WHETHER to grieve or not, since Leopold's fate is unknown. I'll start to cry, and then I'll get filled with determination all over again to "will" him to come back to his rightful home with me. Obviously, I can't "will him" to do anything, but I can try to hang on to the hope, which some non-animal people tell me it's time to let go of now. Bless this forum as a place where I can let it all hang out and know that I'll be supported. I feel slightly insane about all of this by now. It's just so damned sad.

Big Hugs from Margi and Spiritwolf

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post May 16 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #35

Dear Peggy (I'm sorry, I forgot to mention your name above), Moon_beam and Cheryl and everyone--

You know, I feel very strongly that Leopold is alive and well myself--in fact, I feel that he is living somewhere on my very own road, which is a short one. I haven't canvassed all the neighbors, though I have a few. Some of the houses are sort of imposing in that they have locked gates or long, long driveways--these places I've not had the courage to approach. But apparently behind one of those locked gates lives someone who takes in stray cats, and has a lot of them. There is no mailbox, so I guess I'll leave a note attached to the gate. I think Leopold is right on John Adams Road. I just FEEL him so strongly when I go out walking and looking, which I confess I am getting lax about doing by now.

it's so hard to grieve in a situation like this one. One doesn't even know WHETHER to grieve or not, since Leopold's fate is unknown. I'll start to cry, and then I'll get filled with determination all over again to "will" him to come back to his rightful home with me. Obviously, I can't "will him" to do anything, but I can try to hang on to the hope, which some non-animal people tell me it's time to let go of now. Bless this forum as a place where I can let it all hang out and know that I'll be supported. I feel slightly insane about all of this by now. It's just so damned sad.

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post May 16 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #36

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 16 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #37

Forum Moderator

Hi, Margi, thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing. Putting a note on the gate with a picture of your precious Sir Leopold is a GREAT idea along with a contact number or your address so that the resident of the property can contact you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Sir Leopold has sought temporary sanctuary there as it sounds like he would be well received and taken care of. Please please PLEASE let us know what you find out.

Margi, I know how much your precious Sir Leopold means to you, and how deeply saddened you are that he is missing. It is hard to keep your spirits up when day after day his absence continues. But please do not give up looking for him, calling him, - - and searching for him. He MUST know that you want him - - ALWAYS - - regardless of how long he may be taking his time to come back home to you.

Please know you and your precious Sir Leopold are in my thoughts and prayers, Margi, and that I look forward to knowing how you're doing, and any progress on Sir Leopold returning home.

Peace and blessing,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post May 17 2011, 12:57 AM
Post #38

Sorry that one post of mine is in triplicate above--i'm not sure what happened, and can't find any way to delete two out of three of them!

Margi

+Quote Post
ladywolf
post May 18 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #39

Well, Moon_Beam, I did receive a call from the man behind that locked gate, and he commenced to describe all seventeen of his cats to me in great detail unsure.gif , but he doesn't have Leopold and hasn't at any point along the way here. I was deeply disappointed.

And...I've called the Bengal cat breeder guy, Larry, to inquire about a new kitten. We talked for a long time about his kittens, and his parting words were, "Don't worry, I've got you covered." (What he does is raise Bengals, and he sells the "breeders" for a lot of money, but GIVES AWAY the ones that don't quite hit the mark as great breeders, which is SO nice of him!) He has another little male whom he thinks I would really get off on, and if he doesn't sell him this weekend, then he is mine.

So yes, I guess I've made the decision to go ahead and get a new fur-kid. This way, if Leo does come home, he'll have a built-in new playmate, and if he doesn't ever come home, I'll have a new playmate myself. Larry and I don't think that it will be a big problem if Leo comes home and finds someone else installed in the house. These cats are so rowdy, they really need other cats to play with, and I think that Leo would really get off on being able to torture a new kitten--big bully that he is.

So I am definitely not giving up on Leo and I never will, but I have an empty house and a hole in my heart and I feel the need to fill that hole at least a little bit. I am slowly coming to peace with this decision--calling Larry was a big step forward today.

I think that Leopold has been stolen. Larry concurs that this is most often what happens when Bengals disappear. It kind of goes with the territory of owning an absolutely gorgeous, totally unique cat that looks like a wild animal. Just too tempting for someone, probably. At least, if that's the case, he is probably being well cared-for in his new (indoor) home. (Because I have no doubt that if he was being let out, he would have returned to me by now...)

I feel a little ray of hope for the whole situation, thinking about bringing a newcomer into my home. I am very very depressed right now, and that can't go on much longer... On the other hand, remembering what a giant pain in the ass Leo was when he was young makes me feel a bit daunted, too... As well as the thought of all the costs involved in caring for a new one properly...shots, neutering, COLLAR WITH TAGS, etc.

Thank you all so much for your support and love, and thank you in advance for supporting me through this decision too!

Big Hugs--Margi, Spiritwolf, and SpiritLeopold

Just in case you're interested, here is a link to an article i wrote and had published last year about Bengal Cats:

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/natur...gle-cat-meows-0

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post May 18 2011, 05:37 PM
Post #40

Forum Moderator

Hi, Margi, thank you so much for sharing with us how you're doing. Well, at least you know that your neighbor cared enough to give you a call and, unfortunately, confirm that Sir Leopold is not a member of his "pride."

I'm glad you called to inquire about another feline companion, my friend. It sounds like Larry was very understanding and comforting, and I'm very grateful for this. I will look forward to sharing with you how this new journey for a new companion goes for you.

Margi, I truly am very, very sorry about Leo's disappearance. I know you haven't given up on him, yet still you need another living body to nurture. I hope you are able to embrace a new companion very soon.

Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers, Margi, and look forward to knowing how things are going for you whenever possible.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:55 PM