2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Put My Baby Down Or Wait And See?
LeoTheLion
post Feb 11 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Pet Lovers
Member No.: 7,468

My 4 year old cat, Buddy, was just diagnosed as having enlarged heart (the vet said it looked like a balloon). They started him on medication and they said he was in a good mood (purring). However they also said the medication would only prolong his life a few months, maybe a year. Should I put him down while he is in a good mood or keep my baby a few extra months?

Selfishly, I want to keep him and sees how he does on the medication, but I don're know what to do?

--------------------

Leo the Lion June 17,2008 to February 5, 2012

Buddy July 21, 2006 to June 7, 2013
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Feb 11 2013, 11:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,464

I would try the medication to see how he does. Ain't no sense in putting him down before his time. If the medication gives him a few more months then treasure that time you will have with him. My Danny boy had congestive heart failure and I wished I had gotten a few more months with him.

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Feb 12 2013, 12:00 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,510

That's always a hard question, but my gut instinct is to say not to euthanize when a pet still has a good quality of life. Buddy is young, and I think sometimes vets are conservative when they estimate how much life a pet has left. The truth of the matter is that no one actually knows how a pet's going to respond to treatment until they try it. Now is your chance to help Buddy feel as good as you can, for whatever time he has left - try to enjoy it and make the most of it, maybe?

Let me give you an example, if I may, about the unpredictability of these things? My beloved Pippin was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of seven, which should have been a treatable, chronic condition. I'm a nurse; I was willing to do whatever he needed, and to go above and beyond what many would do. Pippin tolerated my checking his blood sugars, and he could care less about the insulin shots we gave him. Nonetheless, he died three months after he was diagnosed, after a hard battle and multiple ICU trips. We should have had many more years with him, based on his initial diagnosis. Then there's my Lancelot, who was diagnosed with lymphoma this past October. He's only two years old. We're at week 14 of his chemotherapy, and he's gaining weight, eating wonderfully, and he's in a partial remission. We have no idea how long it will last, but we're taking each day as it comes, and loving every minute of happiness we can give him. So, ironically, my cat with incurable cancer has survived longer and with a better quality of life than my cat who had a treatable disease. You just never know.

So, that being said, there are scales that can help you assess your pet's quality of life. This is my favorite:
http://www.allpetsmacomb.com/qualityoflife.html

It doesn't come out and tell you when to consider euthanasia, but it helps you figure out where your Buddy is on the spectrum. In addition, it has suggestions for actually improving your pet's quality of life!

Please keep us updated on your little Buddy!

--------------------

When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that, in truth, you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
Valentino my boy
post Feb 12 2013, 12:25 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,672

As long as Buddy has quality of life, eats, and show no sign of disconfort you should keep him on his medication, and cherish every minute you get to spend him, loving him.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Feb 12 2013, 11:50 AM
Post #5

Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,861

Hi, Leo, please permit me to add my sincerest condolences on the diagnosis of your precious Buddy. I know how heartbreaking it is to receive a diagnosis that fills our hearts with fear that our earthly journey with our precious companion is now limited.

This said, I totally support the wonderful responses you have received from DannysMom, Kel, and Valentino - - as long as your precious Buddy is responding to his medications and has a good quality of life there is no reason whatsoever to rush into easing his journey home to the angels. Your precious Buddy has a chronic medical condition with his heart - - similar to what can afflict human hearts - - but despite his need for medication and perhaps more frequent medical check ups with his veterinary care provider your precious Buddy does have a good chance of having a continued happy earthly journey with you. None of us knows how long our earthly journey will be - - and this is why it is so important to cherish every moment we have with our loved ones - - whoever the life form.

Thank you so much for sharing your precious Buddy with us, Leo. Perhaps sometime you will want to share a picture of him with us, but only when / if you want to. Please know you and your precious Buddy are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you and your precious boy are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
LeoTheLion
post Feb 12 2013, 03:52 PM
Post #6

Buddy Update!

My baby is doing really well and is responding to the medication. The nurses and doctors are saying he is acting like a very curious cat that wants to get out of his cage and get some loving from everyone that walks by him. He ate almost all of his food from last night(which was one can of cat food) and half of his food this morning. He is drinking and going to the bathroom. However they did have to tap him last night to get the fluid out of his chest and put him on a new medication this morning that he is responding really well to (no fluid build up at all since midnight so a full 12 hours!). His temperature is a little low, 98.9.They are keeping him one more night to see how he does on the new medication, but otherwise he should be home by this time tomorrow.

I want to thank everyone here for helping me. When they called asking me if I want to tap him and try the new medication or just put him down I was thinking 'I'll just tap him and try the medication so I can be with him in the morning to put him down if he is not doing well'. So when I went in this morning (armed with napkins and tears already falling) I was surprise to see him getting and trying to get the lid off his plastic cage meowing at me (I'm pretty sure he was asking me to take him home) he was very loving and very curious about the dog a couple of tables away from us getting their teeth clean.

When I asked the doctor about his prognosis he seem more optimist then the last time I talked to him (yesterday around 5 pm ish). It went from it is looking very grim to guarded optimism.

In short at this time I'm not putting him down (unless he take a turn for the worst tonight). He does not seem to be in pain, if anything he seemed annoyed that part up his fur as been shaved and he has medical tape on him.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Feb 14 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #7

Forum Moderator

Hi, Leo, thank you so very much for sharing with us how your precious Buddy and you are doing. My heart is soaring with yours at your wonderfully GREAT news!! I am wondering if your precious boy is actually home with you now, as it is now 2 days since your last post. I hope so - - what a WONDERFUL Valentine's gift this would be for both you and your precious Buddy.

I hope the news meds are continuing to help your precious boy. What a sweet little boy he is. I can so oooo understand his frustration about part of his fur having been shaved and the annoyance of the medical tape on his arm. My Noah was most uncomfortable when he had his surgery last September 2012 and came home with an IV port still in his arm and his entire foot and arm taped. He was SOOOO HAPPY when that was finally removed - - as was I.

Thank you again so very much for this wonderful update on your precious Buddy. Please know you and your precious boy are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you both are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------
In heaven's perfect garden there is no grief or pain, and all of God's creation join the angels' sweet refrain.

The most blessed way I have of knowing God's comforting love and grace is to look into the eyes and heart of God's creatures' sweet angelic face.

+Quote Post
LeoTheLion
post Feb 15 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #8

Thank you moon_beam, Buddy is home and I'm enjoying whatever time I have left with him. He seems like himself again, eating, drinking, and catching crickets.

The only different thing he is doing is following me around (but that might because he has been getting lots of love and treats from me). He is breathing well, however his breathing does seem to get a little deeper (but not harder) around the time for him to take the next dose of medication. About 30 mins later he is breathing normal again.

Buddy seems really happy.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Feb 15 2013, 03:43 PM
Post #9

Forum Moderator

Hi, Leo, thank you so very much for sharing with us how your precious Buddy and you are doing. I am so very happy that your precious boy is home - - a great relief for the both of you. I know both you and your precious boy are cherishing every moment you have together - - more so now.

I hope you and your precious Buddy will have a very peaceful, blissful, and cozy evening, Leo, and that each day will be filled with many treasured memories. Please know you and your precious boy are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I look forward to knowing how your precious Buddy and you are doing.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pippin's Mom Kel
post Mar 16 2013, 03:34 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,510

Leo, I was just wondering how Buddy is doing?

--------------------

When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that, in truth, you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
- Kahlil Gibran

+Quote Post
LeoTheLion
post Mar 18 2013, 03:58 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Pippin's Mom Kel @ Mar 16 2013, 01:34 PM) *
Leo, I was just wondering how Buddy is doing?

Surprising myself and his doctors he is doing really well. When I first brought him home the doctors said he may have a couple of weeks to a month left in him, well it has been six weeks and everything, besides his heart, looks fine. He has been eating, drinking and playing like nothing is wrong with him! I actually took him to see the vet today, everyone knows him as the "Heart Cat", and want to know what we are doing because he looks great. I don't do much, besides giving him lots of water, warming his food, give him his medications and spend a good chuck of my time with him (like right now!). It's a little hard as I'm a full time college student and I work part time, but I'm happy for whatever amount of time I have left with him and I think he is happy too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Mar 19 2013, 12:22 PM
Post #12

Forum Moderator

Hi, Leo, thank you so very much for sharing with us the WONDERFUL news on how your precious Buddy and you are doing. I know your heart is soaring right now, and my heart is leaping with joy with yours. Indeed, our precious companions are always more at ease when they are in the place they love the most - - their home surrounded by the sights, sounds, smells, and loving company of their human guardian and caregiver. Please know your precious Buddy and you are in my thoughts and prayers, and please let us know how you both are doing whenever possible.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
LeoTheLion
post Mar 21 2013, 03:01 PM
Post #13

A lot can change in a two days...I left on a trip for two days to do some research, as I mentioned a few days ago he was doing wonderfully when I left. He was in the care of my mother and I called her every day to remind her to give him his medications. I came home and picked him up late last night and he was breathing a little deeply. This morning I had to take him as he was still breathing deeply. Buddy is at the hospital and will be there until tomorrow. He has fluid around his lungs again, though he is still eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom. The vet is putting him another medication to see if that will help, but I told myself if he is not better by tomorrow I will say goodbye as I do not want him to be suffering.

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and I will keep everyone up dated on Buddy's prognosis.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannysMom
post Mar 21 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,464

LeoTheLion, I hope Buddy gets better. Please don't give up on him so soon. If he is eating and drinking and using the litter box then there is no need to put him down yet. Has Lasix been tried or Cardizem? Lasix should take care of things, that's what's used with a heart condition when the fluid builds up. It looks like Buddy still has a good quality of life and I would let him live as long as he wants to live.

--------------------
Danny: March 4, 2001 - December 28, 2011
Tina: October 27, 1997 - April 28, 2012

To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Mar 22 2013, 12:12 PM
Post #15

Forum Moderator

Hi, Leo, thank you so very much for sharing with us how your precious Buddy, and you, are doing. Please permit me to add my deepest empathy for what you both are going through. I know your heart is filled with concern and the utmost desire to do the best for your precious Buddy. Like DannysMom, my heart is hoping that Buddy's doctor will be able to stabilize your precious Buddy and that a change in medication will give you and your precious boy more time together. However, only you can make the decisions you believe are best for your precious Buddy, and please know we are here for you to support and encourage you. Please know you and your precious Buddy are in my thoughts and prayers, Leo, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
LeoTheLion
post Mar 29 2013, 01:02 AM
Post #16

We're not gone yet! Well Buddy came home last Saturday alive and well, well as well as he can be with heart failure. The first two days he seemed so depressed, not eating only sleeping barely moving, that I was think of putting him down because I thought his quality of life was diminished, but was I wrong. On the third morning home I felt something curling up to me on my chest while I was sleeping when I was smacked in the face and a monster (read Buddy) started attacking my hair that fell on face doing a two step jump on my chest an shoulders.

Now he doen't seem depressed at all he has been leaving my room to beg for food in the kitchen, chirping to the birds outside, eating almost two cans of wet food and 2 tablespoons of dry food and an unholy amount of treats (but it's okay as they are the healthy ones for teeth and what not).

Thank you everyone that had us in your thoughts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
moon_beam
post Mar 29 2013, 01:20 PM
Post #17

Forum Moderator

Hi, Leo, thank you so very, very much for your WONDERFUL GOOD NEWS with us. I am SOOO HAPPY that your precious Buddy is home and is now doing very well. I know your heart is soaring with joy, and my heart is leaping with joy as well. I know you and your precious Buddy are enjoying these good days together, - - and cherishing every moment you have with one another. Please know you and your precious Buddy are in my thoughts and prayers, Leo, and please let us know how things are going.

Peace and blessings,
moon_beam

--------------------

+Quote Post
xxForeverxx
post May 4 2013, 01:29 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 7,430

Hi i just wanted to come by and say i have read about your Buddy and i think your doing the right thing. I always think now if they are eating and not in pain then to continue trying. I hope he is feeling ok today. He is lucky to have you and i look forward to hearing how he is doing. Fingers crossed for him.

xxForeverxx

+Quote Post
Stephanie
post May 7 2013, 10:05 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,976

Would love an update on Buddy. Hope he is doing well!

+Quote Post
LeoTheLion
post Jun 7 2013, 03:40 PM
Post #20

Sadly, today I had to put Buddy down. Early this morning he took a turn for the worst, he was breathing really hard with his mouth open. He did not want any treats or can food or even human can tuna!

I had him for 124 days after he was initially diagnosed and I'm glad I had every second with him. I was originally told I might have three weeks max with him and I got four months instead.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and support.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:42 PM